3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Smooth ride - 2015 fit l model vs s model

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Smooth ride - 2015 fit l model vs s model

I own a 2015 FIT Sports package and the only thing I hate about this car is the roughness of the ride on rough roads. Other than that my FIT is a very good car altogether. Though it feels that the shock is not absorbing on rough roads, the FIT (S) model is very quiet on smooth surfaces. I have been told that the FIT F and L models are much smoother on rough roads due to the smaller wheel size (15") as oppose to the S model which came with (16") wheels. So the question for future buyers is what FIT model to buy. I have also read from this forum that the make of the tyre can also affect the ride of the car. Some argue that the original type on the FIT (Dunlop) is not as smooth as Michelin or Pirelli. I have also read that the FIT was designed to ride like a sports car and so the reason behind the tough suspension and springs. Some drivers prefer it rough than smooth and the ladies want it smooth. Yet due to the size of the car some argue that it is more or less a lady's car. Then if that was correct why the hell did Honda designed it to be rough and noisy? Another group believe that the FIT is rough and noisy because it is small. But when I compare it to the Hyundai I10, KIA Picanto or even RIO which are of smaller size, the FIT sound worst on rough roads. Therefore this argument doesn't stand. On the other hand, FIT has been around for many years now and the issue of poor performance on rough roads has been around for many years. Yet, Honda has not done any improvement, which they could have easily done had they been interested. So my conclusion is that FIT was designed to ride and feel like a sportscar. With tough suspension and spring. So what are your views guys????

Old 07-27-2016, 10:32 AM
The Fit is no better and no worse than any other car I've been in around LA regarding rough roads. They almost never fix roads around here it seems.

What in the world is an S model?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Judging from the included picture in the original post, it appears the "S" model is what they call the "EX" here in the states.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
It's a Sports Package in the hybrid version.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Yes. In the hybrid models made in Japan, the base model is "F" then "L" and the most complete one is the "S" package.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:11 PM
I have Fit LX 2016, I swear my old corolla 95 is way quite in comparison

Old 07-27-2016, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
You could change your 16" wheels for 15" ones, and use different sized tires. The diameter will be the same, so no changes required to the speedo, but you will get a bit more cushioning on rough roads at the expense of handling. It is called a -1.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
If you find the fit rough... You are doomed.

Tire wise only thing thag will help is a taller side wall size.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NLEPATHY
I own a 2015 FIT Sports package and the only thing I hate about this car is the roughness of the ride on rough roads. Other than that my FIT is a very good car altogether. Though it feels that the shock is not absorbing on rough roads, the FIT (S) model is very quiet on smooth surfaces. I have been told that the FIT F and L models are much smoother on rough roads due to the smaller wheel size (15") as oppose to the S model which came with (16") wheels. So the question for future buyers is what FIT model to buy. I have also read from this forum that the make of the tyre can also affect the ride of the car. Some argue that the original type on the FIT (Dunlop) is not as smooth as Michelin or Pirelli. I have also read that the FIT was designed to ride like a sports car and so the reason behind the tough suspension and springs. Some drivers prefer it rough than smooth and the ladies want it smooth. Yet due to the size of the car some argue that it is more or less a lady's car. Then if that was correct why the hell did Honda designed it to be rough and noisy? Another group believe that the FIT is rough and noisy because it is small. But when I compare it to the Hyundai I10, KIA Picanto or even RIO which are of smaller size, the FIT sound worst on rough roads. Therefore this argument doesn't stand. On the other hand, FIT has been around for many years now and the issue of poor performance on rough roads has been around for many years. Yet, Honda has not done any improvement, which they could have easily done had they been interested. So my conclusion is that FIT was designed to ride and feel like a sportscar. With tough suspension and spring. So what are your views guys????
The chief culprit is the short wheel base. Nothing will help unless the wheel base is increased. Good luck on that.

The brand of the tires may help somewhat but there's no set guide as to which brand is quieter or smoother than the other. The sidewall ratio is also a contributor but just going to 15s is not a solution. Taller tires might help, but then clearance and speedometer problems might arise.

I had a Suzuki SX4 and 17 inch wheels, rode noisy and rough, but it was heavier and no where near as "toss-able ". Old carnival barker, "Ya pays ya nickel and ya takes ya choice."

Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Short wheel base + solid rear axle are going to translate to a rough-ish ride.

My S2000 is a more comfortable car on the highway than my 2012 Fit.

That said, S2000 rides fine to me, though I do not know how the roads in Seychelles compare to the northern US. I'd love to find out though

Old 07-28-2016, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
The chief culprit is the short wheel base. Nothing will help unless the wheel base is increased. Good luck on that.

The brand of the tires may help somewhat but there's no set guide as to which brand is quieter or smoother than the other. The sidewall ratio is also a contributor but just going to 15s is not a solution. Taller tires might help, but then clearance and speedometer problems might arise.

I had a Suzuki SX4 and 17 inch wheels, rode noisy and rough, but it was heavier and no where near as "toss-able ". Old carnival barker, "Ya pays ya nickel and ya takes ya choice."

Well, if wheel base was the problem, then we would have the same problem with KIA PICANTO, HYUNDAI I10 which have even shorter wheel base. A shorter wheel base normally makes the car jumps a lot.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Short wheel base + solid rear axle are going to translate to a rough-ish ride.

My S2000 is a more comfortable car on the highway than my 2012 Fit.

That said, S2000 rides fine to me, though I do not know how the roads in Seychelles compare to the northern US. I'd love to find out though :nod:
Our roads especially on that part of the island where I live is not good at all and the car is really suffering. Fortunately, Honda builds strong cars and I expects mine to live a while before I start changing bushings, suspensions, shocks etc.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:42 AM
When I did track days, on the same rims with the same sized tires, the construction of the tires also makes a big difference.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Wait a second. Isn't there another thread on this? Anyway I picked up more info from one of the posts here:

I'm not familiar with any of the non-US trim levels of any of the cars you mention. Someone else says your car is the Sport model of the Hybrid fit. Is that the case? If so that car is going to have BATTERIES in it, weighing a good amount, and needing heavier-duty springs to support the car. My dad's Civic Hybrid was noticeably smoother on good roads, and much rougher on bad ones, than a normal Civic - for the same reason. Fine in Japan (where the roads are polished by beneficial buddhist road sprites), not so fine in places where the road is not perfectly smooth.

Does that help any?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Wait a second. Isn't there another thread on this? Anyway I picked up more info from one of the posts here:

I'm not familiar with any of the non-US trim levels of any of the cars you mention. Someone else says your car is the Sport model of the Hybrid fit. Is that the case? If so that car is going to have BATTERIES in it, weighing a good amount, and needing heavier-duty springs to support the car. My dad's Civic Hybrid was noticeably smoother on good roads, and much rougher on bad ones, than a normal Civic - for the same reason. Fine in Japan (where the roads are polished by beneficial buddhist road sprites), not so fine in places where the road is not perfectly smooth.

Does that help any?
Fujisawa - I think you are right. My car is very smooth on fine roads but extremely uncomfortable on rough surfaces.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
My car is very smooth on fine roads but extremely uncomfortable on rough surfaces.
Normal for the majority of cars, really........s\since you keep harping on this issue, sell and buy another car, see if you're any happier

Old 08-11-2016, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Normal for the majority of cars, really........s\since you keep harping on this issue, sell and buy another car, see if you're any happier
Some folks just aren't happy less they can complain. OTOH, the fault lies with the powers that be who aren't taking proper care of the roads.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Some folks just aren't happy less they can complain. OTOH, the fault lies with the powers that be who aren't taking proper care of the roads.
True.....my only complaint with our 2015 LX is the rather "odd" choice of gear ratios.....I love my manual, but...this car could do so much better on the hwy (not complaining about getting 41 mpg @70-80 mph as is) if 6th gear dropped the rpms more than just a few hundred....like an afterthought. I consider the ride a lil "firm," but, hey, soft and cushy ride doesn't make for a fun ride. It rides a lot better than the 2003 Ford Focus it replaced

Old 08-12-2016, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
My hybrid S package has 7 gear when set on manual transmission. So I think there should be no noise at highhway speed.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
My hybrid S package has 7 gear when set on manual transmission. So I think there should be no noise at highhway speed.
You don't have a manual transmission.......and what, truly, do you expect from an entry level (an excellent entry level, btw) car??? Apparently you expect too much ...sell it, buy something quieter/more comfortable on bumps/boring to drive. Have at it.

Quick Reply: Smooth ride - 2015 fit l model vs s model