3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Push button start doesn't (start, that is)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Push button start doesn't (start, that is)

Over the past week, my '15 Fit EX MT has failed to start on three occasions. I get in the car, disengage the clutch (manual transmission), and press the start button. The dashboard indicator lights, radio and ventilator fan come on, but the starter won't engage. Instead, the green light on the "start" button comes on. Press the button again and the car shuts down.

One more point: when the car doesn't start, the "whirring" sound you hear when you push the start button doesn't occur.

Repeat this process two, three, ten times and the car will finally start, and it will be fine until the next time it malfunctions.

I've contacted the dealer, but their "expert" tech is on vacation and they won't be able to look at it until next week.

Anybody else had this happen, and, if so, what did it turn out to be?

Old 08-08-2016, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Not a betting person but my money would be on the clutch pedal interlock safety switch that operates when pedal depressed.

Let us know

James

Old 08-08-2016, 09:38 AM
I have the exact same model. It happens the first time i start the car in the morning or after a long inactivity, but in my case I just have to press on the clutch all the way and it starts on the second try. Never failed to start after I do this.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Clutch switch was my first thought too, but if that were the case the car would go into "accessory" mode on the first press of the switch, not "ignition on" mode.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Have the same car, not the same problem.

Curious to hear how this gets resolved for you. Best of luck.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Over the past week, my '15 Fit EX MT has failed to start on three occasions. I get in the car, disengage the clutch (manual transmission), and press the start button. The dashboard indicator lights, radio and ventilator fan come on, but the starter won't engage. Instead, the green light on the "start" button comes on. Press the button again and the car shuts down.

One more point: when the car doesn't start, the "whirring" sound you hear when you push the start button doesn't occur.

Repeat this process two, three, ten times and the car will finally start, and it will be fine until the next time it malfunctions.

I've contacted the dealer, but their "expert" tech is on vacation and they won't be able to look at it until next week.

Anybody else had this happen, and, if so, what did it turn out to be?
I HAD the same problem for awhile, dealer replaced the clutch switch after it happened to one of their mechanics. Problem solved UNLESS I don't push the clutch completely to the floor. I have short legs (long torso) and the car starts after I reposition my foot.

6 speed 2015 EX. The switch is essentially a piece of white plastic about as long as my thumb.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
I HAD the same problem for awhile, dealer replaced the clutch switch after it happened to one of their mechanics. Problem solved UNLESS I don't push the clutch completely to the floor. I have short legs (long torso) and the car starts after I reposition my foot.

6 speed 2015 EX. The switch is essentially a piece of white plastic about as long as my thumb.
I located the switch yesterday while playing around with the car. It CAN be adjusted since it's on a threaded mount. That could be something you could try.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:44 PM
I had the same issue awhile back, but mine ended up being the starter failing (19,000m). 6 speed also.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Only good thing I can report is that it's now malfunctioning about every fourth try, so it may be bad enough that the dealer can see it happen.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think u need to insert a quarter each time..?

Old 08-14-2016, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think u need to insert a quarter each time..?

Maybe a Quarter of an Inch to the soles of my shoes. (Short legs 24" inseam, long torso 5'6") Seats as far forward as possible, height of seat near perfect for the short hood (bonnet for the Brits).

Old 08-14-2016, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
I have short legs (long torso) and the car starts after I reposition my foot.
Me too. I was concerned in the early days that I might have a problem. But it never failed on the second try after I reposition so after a while I just chalked it up to a wimpy first try clutch smash.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
Me too. I was concerned in the early days that I might have a problem. But it never failed on the second try after I reposition so after a while I just chalked it up to a wimpy first try clutch smash.
My right foot was amputated when I was 14 to "correct" a birth defect ... messed up right leg, more than 6" shorter than left. There would probably be a better solution today, but I was born 11/27/1940.

I learned to drive a manual shift 1954 Plymouth (3 on the tree) than had 1st and 2nd so close together that 2nd was virtually useless.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uskies
I had the same issue awhile back, but mine ended up being the starter failing (19,000m). 6 speed also.
I just got off the phone with the Honda dealer. They said the starter motor is bad. Apparently there is a dead spot on the commutator. Every so often the motor stops in that one spot and won't start next time.

The good news is they figured it out. The bad news is the starter motor is on "backorder", so no idea when this will be fixed.

This means that Uskies is our winner. To those of you who guessed "clutch interlock switch", thank you for playing and better luck next time.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 08-18-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I just got off the phone with the Honda dealer. They said the starter motor is bad. Apparently there is a dead spot on the commutator. Every so often the motor stops in that one spot and won't start next time.

The good news is they figured it out. The bad news is the starter motor is on "backorder", so no idea when this will be fixed.

This means that Uskies is our winner. To those of you who guessed "clutch interlock switch", thank you for playing and better luck next time.
Thanks for the info. If the problem becomes chronic again, I mention your solution. Crest Honda seems to listen.

Update: 10 months, 2 weeks later, it happens again about 8 more times. Old shoes w/thin soles once; new shoes with thicker soles, at least 7 times. The worst times was yesterday, car stalled on busy surface street (4 lanes) at 5 pm rush hour. After 20 or so minutes, it started (stepped on clutch AND Brake at the same time, 15 seconds each time).

It is the clutch switch, as it was the last time. Had car towed to dealer this afternoon at their expense (warranty). Miles still under 6k, can purchased 26 months ago.

Last edited by KentFinn; 07-07-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Update Problem Reoccured