3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What the hell is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
What the hell is this?

I have not noticed this little thing below the steering column until recently.

It has a button right in the middle that seems to do nothing. And it was lazily screwed onto the kick panel. It looks aftermarket.

This is an EX model in California.

Any one have this as well?

Attached Thumbnails What the hell is this?-mrpeeps02.jpg  
Old 08-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
aftermarket alarm with valet button?

Old 08-22-2016, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
I bought this new from the Honda dealership. It does have an alarm, but it would have been installed before I got it.

This is the kind of shit that makes me not want a Honda.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Odd to say the least.

Time to make a trip to the dealer (or call them) and find out what exactly it is and why was it done.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
So a dealer installs some rinky dink alarm and it's Honda's fault?

Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit comes with an auto immobilizer, so why do you need a car alarm?

Anyway, not good news for you:

deactivated KARR alarm that most honda dealers install on all new vehicles

Originally Posted by redoctoberz
This is a deactivated KARR alarm that most honda dealers install on all new vehicles. They do this for property control on their lot, and try and upsell you by tacking $500 or so on the price as a "more advanced alarm". What they really did was install a cheap piece of chinese crap, disabled it with the black connector you see at the end of that thing they screwed into the dash of your car, and cut/ hacked up all your factory wiring harnesses to add the alarm on. The first thing I did when I bought my Civic was to rip all that garbage out and throw it away. Took about an hour to rip it out and undo all the damaged/cut wiring. A friend of mine had one of these on his Accord. It failed in the middle of a cross country road trip and stranded him. I highly recommend having it totally removed and the factory wiring restored.
source

Karr Security System

source

This is not standard on any Fit from Honda the manufacturer. Ask your dealer.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks TorontoBoy for the thoughtful and complete reply. I will try to get it out ASAP!

Old 08-22-2016, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer damaged your car. I'd be livid.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:10 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MrPeeps
I bought this new from the Honda dealership. It does have an alarm, but it would have been installed before I got it.

this is the work of ur local dealership, not honda.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
If I'd have spotted that piece of crap before delivery, I'd have refused delivery of the car. At the very least, they'd replace the panel they drilled into to mount it and replace any compromised wiring.

I'm an old man and my tolerance for that kind of crap hasn't improved with age.

That's like the old days when the local Chevy dealership would drill three holes in the trunk lid to mount a big chrome emblem with the dealerships name on it. My Dad refused to buy from that dealership for that reason alone. He always bought his Chevrolets at the dealership in the next town.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 08-23-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
If I'd have spotted that piece of crap before delivery, I'd have refused delivery of the car. At the very least, they'd replace the panel they drilled into to mount it and replace any compromised wiring.

I'm an old man and my tolerance for that kind of crap hasn't improved with age.

That's like the old days when the local Chevy dealership would drill three holes in the trunk lid to mount a big chrome emblem with the dealerships name on it. My Dad refused to buy from that dealership for that reason alone. He always bought his Chevrolets at the dealership in the next town.
Knew a gentleman years ago who told the dealer that he would charge them outdoor rate advertising fees if they drilled and put their dealership emblem on HIS car. They didn't and he didn't after heated discussions.

Most dealerships around here "brand" customer's cars with a license plate frame. It is removable and causes no damage.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Knew a gentleman years ago who told the dealer that he would charge them outdoor rate advertising fees if they drilled and put their dealership emblem on HIS car. They didn't and he didn't after heated discussions.

Most dealerships around here "brand" customer's cars with a license plate frame. It is removable and causes no damage.
In Massachusetts, it's illegal without explicit permission in writing from the buyer. And the dealer is required to prominently post the law in their sales area. Of course, no dealer that I know of has the law posted, and Bernardi complained when I refused to accept delivery of my Fit with their advertising license plate frame, until I demanded to see where the law was posted. They took that frame off tout-de-suite!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=TorontoBoy;1352426]The Fit comes with an auto immobilizer, so why do you need a car alarm?

deactivated KARR alarm that most honda dealers install on all new vehicles

MOST Honda dealers install? How broad is that brush you are using? Most means what percent? More than 50% or less? Out of all official Honda dealers, how many ... hard numbers, not WAGs.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
In Massachusetts, it's illegal without explicit permission in writing from the buyer. And the dealer is required to prominently post the law in their sales area. Of course, no dealer that I know of has the law posted, and Bernardi complained when I refused to accept delivery of my Fit with their advertising license plate frame, until I demanded to see where the law was posted. They took that frame off tout-de-suite!
BFD, the license plate frame. A screw driver and 10 minutes of your time, at most. As to the posting of the law in the dealership, so what? Tennessee has a law requiring a detailed posting of a law about prohibiting firearms carry, full text, no slashed through pistol emblem. Unless that posting is at all public entrances, it is meaningless. A possessor of a HCP can only be asked to leave, not arrested. Posting without enforcement means nothing.

You knew the law and enforced it from your side. Good for you, but raising Cain for minor reasons does nothing but make you feel better. If they post, how many future buyers will pay any attention? Few if any.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member

Unless, of course the frame is screwed into your front bumper

Old 08-23-2016, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Unless, of course the frame is screwed into your front bumper
Tennessee only requires a rear plate and, on the Fit, at least that is in the hatch door cove. No holes drilled except by the factory. Crest Honda provided an extra in case I wanted to put some sort of a custom vanity plate.

My niece in Florida was a phlebotomist at one time and her for real FL vanity plate was VAMPR. Her brother, a Marine captain, refused to drive her Toyota unless she was injured (once when she was in the hospital from a needle stick). He drove her car to their

Last edited by KentFinn; 08-23-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by MrPeeps

Ah, hahahaha! You Water Hoarders are all the same.

Dude, quick, look outside your window. See any black helicopters?

They're following your car bro!

Ah, ahahahahahahahahaha!

Old 08-24-2016, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Tennessee only requires a rear plate and, on the Fit, at least that is in the hatch door cove. No holes drilled except by the factory. Crest Honda provided an extra in case I wanted to put some sort of a custom vanity plate.
Yeah, I realize this ....will give the dealer the benefit of the doubt, beings as mine was bought used, is that maybe the previous owner had wanted the front plate holder for a vanity plate (it's a TN car from day one)....they took the "trouble" to install one of their dealer frames on it.....took the whole thing off, but didn't like the looks of the holes, either plugged or not. So I bought a vanity plate and called it a day......although I'd still prefer a nice clean unmarred front bumper and no vanity plate, but....it is what it is

Old 08-24-2016, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Yeah, I realize this ....will give the dealer the benefit of the doubt, beings as mine was bought used, is that maybe the previous owner had wanted the front plate holder for a vanity plate (it's a TN car from day one)....they took the "trouble" to install one of their dealer frames on it.....took the whole thing off, but didn't like the looks of the holes, either plugged or not. So I bought a vanity plate and called it a day......although I'd still prefer a nice clean unmarred front bumper and no vanity plate, but....it is what it is
Yeah, I like the front and top as smooth as possible. The idea of putting a plate on the front sends shutters as does putting on a moon roof visor ... it breaks the lines.

East Tennessee, huh? Mother was from Bulls Gap (yes, you flat landers) and Father was from Cleveland, TN. They met here in Nashville under circumstances unknown to me.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Here in NY state, front plates are required for everyone, except, apparently Corvettes, which must be exempt. I have yet to see a recent Corvette running a front plate.

Speaking of the Chevrolet dealer with the chrome emblems, their name was Ames Chevrolet, and the emblem read: "by AMES". I remember a couple of people modified the emblem by breaking off a couple of the letters to read "by ME".

Quick Reply: What the hell is this?