3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Are the 2017 Fits being made in Mexico again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:30 AM
Are the 2017 Fits being made in Mexico again?

The local Honda dealer has four 2017 Fit LX CVTs up on their website and the VIN numbers all start with a 3 (Mexico).

Without starting a debate about whether that is a good or bad thing, I tried to research if the 2017 production was moving back to Mexico but couldn't find anything. Do any of you know?

Or perhaps they already moved production back there and I'm just not up to speed. If so, please enlighten this Fit noob.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
In Auto trader new 2017 manual transmission Fits also have the 3 as first digit showing they are also made in Mexico as always for manuals.

James

Old 08-25-2016, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bradbowl
The local Honda dealer has four 2017 Fit LX CVTs up on their website and the VIN numbers all start with a 3 (Mexico).

Without starting a debate about whether that is a good or bad thing, I tried to research if the 2017 production was moving back to Mexico but couldn't find anything. Do any of you know?

Or perhaps they already moved production back there and I'm just not up to speed. If so, please enlighten this Fit noob.
Perception isn't always reality. Back when Accords were first made in Marysville, OH, the American market was cool to them but when exported to Japan, they went at a premium. There was no official US 2014 3rd generation FIT due to start up problems in Mexico and the initial Mexican production were indeed spotty at best.

As others have pointed out, the Fit/Jazz is one of Honda's universal platforms and has many versions in various markets. The US has 3 trims, Canada 4 and Lord knows how many in various other countries. How many factories furnish Fit/Jazz models for how many markets?

Old 08-25-2016, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
How many factories furnish Fit/Jazz models ... ?
Currently, nine.
Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Taiwan, Thailand.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
I have to figure that, as capacity expands at Celaya, that Fit production will move back to Mexico. And why not? The Fit's pricing and equipment level in the US market was undoubtedly figured and set based on lower labor costs and transport costs in Mexico versus Japan. For all I know, Honda may have been losing money bringing the Fit in from Japan last year. Perhaps temporarily offset by savings from building the HRV in Mexico.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Fits from Celaya would also qualify for NAFTA, so there would be no import tax. I believe the Celaya plant also supplies South America and Canada. I don't think it will be going aywhere. The newer HRV, which shares the Fit's chassis, is also produced in Celaya.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Fits from Celaya would also qualify for NAFTA, so there would be no import tax. I believe the Celaya plant also supplies South America and Canada. I don't think it will be going aywhere. The newer HRV, which shares the Fit's chassis, is also produced in Celaya.
Chassis, but not engine. I believe it carries a Civic engine. The short hood (bonnet for the Brits among us) prevents the turbocharged 1.5 Civic engine from being used in the Fit. The plumbing on the turbo is toward the front on the Civic. Too bad, another 45 horses would make the Fit a real hoot.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:21 AM
Thanks everyone for sharing your insights. I didn't realize that they were produced all over the world, although it definitely makes sense.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:41 PM
Chassis, but not engine. I believe it carries a Civic engine. The short hood (bonnet for the Brits among us) prevents the turbocharged 1.5 Civic engine from being used in the Fit. The plumbing on the turbo is toward the front on the Civic. Too bad, another 45 horses would make the Fit a real hoot.
Heck, that's no problem. Just put on a bulgy hood! Hooners like big bulgy hoods!

I did a search on Cars.com and the only '17s listed are 6-speeds, and not a lot of them! 6-speeds, when they could be had, have always come from Mexico even when main production for the US was in Japan.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 08-30-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Heck, that's no problem. Just put on a bulgy hood! Hooners like big bulgy hoods!

I did a search on Cars.com and the only '17s listed are 6-speeds, and not a lot of them! 6-speeds, when they could be had, have always come from Mexico even when main production for the US was in Japan.
Hooner? WTH are Hooners? Typo or some sort of surfer lingo that hasn't made it across the Rockies from La La land?

A frequent passenger has suggested the little sticks with reflectors at the corners of the front bumpers, sorta like antennas that some VW Bug owners use.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
From Google, FWIW .... "Hoon is a term used in Australia and New Zealand, to refer to anyone who engages in loutish, anti-social behaviours. In particular, it is used to refer to one who drives a car or boat in a manner which is anti-social by the standards of contemporary society, i.e. too fast, too noisily or too dangerously." Am guessing hooner is the equivelant

Old 08-31-2016, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
From Google, FWIW .... "Hoon is a term used in Australia and New Zealand, to refer to anyone who engages in loutish, anti-social behaviours. In particular, it is used to refer to one who drives a car or boat in a manner which is anti-social by the standards of contemporary society, i.e. too fast, too noisily or too dangerously." Am guessing hooner is the equivelant
My ex once called me the King of Trivia. This is one piece of trivia I'll store back in the deepest cove, marked never to be used.

Have an example though ... friend saw a wannabe tuner with what could pass for a narrow picnic table on the trunk of his small Japanese sedan. As he passed my friend the "wing" fell off. After backing up, "tuner" put the "wing" back on the trunk lid, fussed around a bit, drove off, and the thing fell off again. Repeat the process, but this time he put the "wing" IN the trunk instead of ON the trunk lid.

Cue Jeff Foxworthy ... "You might be a redneck if ..."

Old 08-31-2016, 12:11 PM
Old 09-02-2016, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
YOu also might find them shipping FITS for another country to Mexico, installing a few parts then shipping them to the US to make them "mexico" construction to qualify for NAFTA. (Several car companies do this.. )

Old 09-03-2016, 01:16 AM
Wow. What a bunch of assholes. What if the run some over or loose control.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:00 AM
Hooner? WTH are Hooners? Typo or some sort of surfer lingo that hasn't made it across the Rockies from La La land?

A frequent passenger has suggested the little sticks with reflectors at the corners of the front bumpers, sorta like antennas that some VW Bug owners use.
I had to Google what it means to "hoon" a car. I guess I'm not young and with it anymore...

Old 09-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my GTI (2016) is made in mexico and it's actually well put together. i think by now honda mexico will probably have pretty consistent quality for their Fits?

Old 09-03-2016, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
my GTI (2016) is made in mexico and it's actually well put together. i think by now honda mexico will probably have pretty consistent quality for their Fits?
Mine's very early and it's perfect. So far the statistical data outweighs the anecdotal examples some folks have suffered with. See True Delta for example.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
We've been looking into a GTI, and I did notice that they are made in Mexico and not Wolfsburg now.

It's probably more of a psychological thing about where a car is manufactured. My 16 year old Corolla was made in Canada and is still going strong.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:39 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, but its not just about where the assembly is done, but its supplier base. the mexico plant is more north/south american based so that COULD add problems vs using local suppliers in Japan (in Fit's case) and Germany (in my GTI's case). that's really where the problems come from.. the suppliers.

ive not had much luck with subaru's made in indiana nor civics made at the canada and ohio plants. have to say, the GK did have driver window problems too.. after the warranty repair its been flawless.

Quick Reply: Are the 2017 Fits being made in Mexico again?