3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Farewell FIT Friends

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Farewell FIT Friends

I pulled the trigger yesterday and traded in my 2015 FIT EX for a brand new 2016 HRV EX-L with Navi.

I waited till the last day of the month, went onto Edmunds.com and got offers from several dealers. One offered the HRV for $2300 less than sticker so I took the bait. A trade off was they only gave me 13K for my FIT. I knew I could get more selling privately but just can't be bothered with the hassle.

I had no real attachment to the 2015 FIT like I did with my 2010 FIT, and truthfully my city stop and go commute was awful with the 6 speed. I was averaging 200 miles per tank of gas. Granted, when I bought the 2015 I had a different job and different commute.

Good luck to everyone here and I hope you all love your Hondas as much as I hope to love my new HRV!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Cool.....let us know how it goes with the HRV ..... when we bought my Fit, my wife decided she wanted a HRV, seeing it on the spot, no test drive....although we still have a couple month's payments on her current car....heh. I love the 6 spd manual on our Fit, although we live in a small cuty, not major gridlock like a major metropolis....am totally satisfied with the mpg 'round these parts. I wish you good times with yer new acquisition

Old 09-01-2016, 08:10 PM
Congrats! Id love to sell my Fit!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Good luck with the HRV! I hope you find it as zippy as the Fit. For those looking for a rare manual EX in the Boston area, looks like a used one will show up soon on a lot.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by carrier
I had no real attachment to the 2015 FIT like I did with my 2010 FIT, and truthfully my city stop and go commute was awful with the 6 speed. I was averaging 200 miles per tank of gas.
Yep, those manual transmissions are tricky, eh? You'll be better off with without the third pedal.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think he/she was talking about the mpg.

i was averaging 40mpg while borrowing my wife's GK for a week on my commutes. was pretty amazed. hers is a cvt.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Yep, those manual transmissions are tricky, eh? You'll be better off with without the third pedal.
That's funny. Every car I've ever owned has been a manual transmission. I'm quite used to that third pedal....I actually love the third pedal.

MY issue is it's time to grow up and accept that where I live the driving is not suited for a clutch. It's damn frustrating and I hope to use the paddle shifters as necessary to give my HRV some kick.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Congrats on your new car. If you have time, give us a nice review/comparison with the Fit.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Congrats on your new car. If you have time, give us a nice review/comparison with the Fit.
I second this. A comparison review would be great.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
I traditionally drive a manual but when we bought our Fit I decided to go for CVT. We live in in a city. We don't commute but but pretty much anywhere you drive is stop and go and clutch wear is heavy and tedious. The cvt reputedly gets better mpg than the manual even on the highway which probably as much reflects the weak high gear of the manual. We haven't done much driving with our 2016 Fit but on the one 500 mile trip we took we got around 51 mpg. Rpm-s barely got above 2000.

I find the cvt is plenty zippy (in-city I drive with eco mode off but not in S mode). Mind you I have always been a more patient driver, don't speed (never had a speeding ticket in 40 years of driving) and don't do jackrabbit starts at lights. Probably the perceived "need" for a manual transmission Fit is really more reflecting lead-foot driving habits than the cvt being underpowered.

Last edited by Limmie; 09-05-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
CVT may be another example of machine-over-man (or woman) in that its wisdom (software) governs the car better than our ego or testosterone.
But then, people still run with the bulls in Pamplona.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
I have a '13 Fit 5-speed stick that had the airbag replaced. Drove the rental Versa Note w/ CVT tranny. Was strange the way the way the car took off, kinda like high RPM, but it would settle down and run about 2000 RPM, even at fwy speeds. Is that the way the new Fits drive with the CVT?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Limmie
Probably the perceived "need" for a manual transmission Fit is really more reflecting lead-foot driving habits than the cvt being underpowered.
I beg to disagree .....the perceived need for a manual is that they are way more fun, plain and simple. I could possibly live with a DCT auto, have lived with a few traditional slushboxes ... automatics are boring to drive, and CVT's even moreso....different strokes, ymmv, etc, yadda yadda yadda ... I'll take the slight mpg hit to drive a manual anymore, not enough to matter. Just keep on keepin' on down that slippery slope until you have a car that won't let you "drive" it....no thank you, very much

Old 09-05-2016, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by siguy
I have a '13 Fit 5-speed stick that had the airbag replaced. Drove the rental Versa Note w/ CVT tranny. Was strange the way the way the car took off, kinda like high RPM, but it would settle down and run about 2000 RPM, even at fwy speeds. Is that the way the new Fits drive with the CVT?
yep, dat is the standard characteristics of cvt's. but when subaru put one in their new WRX i thought that was pretty genius. keeps the turbo psi up the entire time the car is accelerating. not dat i want a wrx with cvt.. but more efficient than regular AT's.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Fuelish
I beg to disagree .....the perceived need for a manual is that they are way more fun, plain and simple.
And perception is reality in this case. I'll never call the Fit a hot hatch, not even a sporty car, but with the manual transmission in a Fit, you can have some serious fun.

What's more fun, a fast car going slow, or a slow car going fast?

I made my vote with my bank account, I drive a manual Fit.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
the perceived need for a manual is that they are way more fun, plain and simple.
Perhaps more fun at times but you probably have not driven in a 2 mile freeway backup recently. Slow down to a stop, down on the clutch, into neutral, up on the clutch, sit for 10 seconds, then down on the clutch, into first, down on clutch, into second, drive 30 feet, back down on the clutch for 15 seconds, then back into first, etc., etc. for 15 minutes. Even on normal city streets you come to a stop sign every block so you have three clutch actions per block for 10 blocks. So I miss out on manual "fun" driving on a mountain road for an hour or so every 4 years. The trade-off is well worth it since I don't consider the cvt that bad (and you do have eco-off and S modes for variation) and it is a lot more fun than riding the clutch for 98% of my driving hours. You do get better mpg with a CVT and for straight out freeway driving at 70 mph you don't notice the difference (other than the engine being perhaps slightly quieter in a cvt since the rpms aren't as high as with the manual with its present gear ratios).

Last edited by Limmie; 09-06-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Driving MT in congestion is not bad as long as you're not wearing dress shoes... Well at least for me I had no issue on my cars. The GTI I got recently is my first AT car in over 2 decades... Starting to feel the age.. especially after a long dynamic meeting at work.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps more fun at times but you probably have not driven in a 2 mile freeway backup recently.
Sure have, in June, I-75 up and back from TN to MI....I-75, the perpetual construction project. And it was way more than 2 miles of bumper-to-bumper stop'n'go, and multiple times .... no big thing. As long as I have a stack of CDs and my iPod, I'm good.....AND we averaged 40.1 mpg (real world measuring, not the car data) on the way up and 39.5 (real world, not car data) on the way back. Folks can keep drinking the march-into-the future-of-self-driving-cars Koolaid, I'm having none of it, no thank you very much. Love my 6 spd manny LX, under any conditions

Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
And perception is reality in this case. I'll never call the Fit a hot hatch, not even a sporty car, but with the manual transmission in a Fit, you can have some serious fun.

What's more fun, a fast car going slow, or a slow car going fast?

I made my vote with my bank account, I drive a manual Fit.
Fully agree...

Last edited by Fuelish; 09-06-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps more fun at times but you probably have not driven in a 2 mile freeway backup recently. Slow down to a stop, down on the clutch, into neutral, up on the clutch, sit for 10 seconds, then down on the clutch, into first, down on clutch, into second, drive 30 feet, back down on the clutch for 15 seconds, then back into first, etc., etc. for 15 minutes. Even on normal city streets you come to a stop sign every block so you have three clutch actions per block for 10 blocks. So I miss out on manual "fun" driving on a mountain road for an hour or so every 4 years. The trade-off is well worth it since I don't consider the cvt that bad (and you do have eco-off and S modes for variation) and it is a lot more fun than riding the clutch for 98% of my driving hours. You do get better mpg with a CVT and for straight out freeway driving at 70 mph you don't notice the difference (other than the engine being perhaps slightly quieter in a cvt since the rpms aren't as high as with the manual with its present gear ratios).
I have.

With how light the Fit's clutch is...it is no big deal.

I have also done the same in my S2000. Significantly heavier clutch. Biggest issue was the lack of wind + direct sun from top down sitting.

If you're getting 200 miles to a tank (and are actually filling up from empty) you're doing it wrong.

But hey, at least you now drive the slowest Honda made

Old 09-06-2016, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b

But hey, at least you now drive the slowest Honda made
Not that there's anything wrong with that

Quick Reply: Farewell FIT Friends