3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tips on Honda Touch-up Paint Pen

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Tips on Honda Touch-up Paint Pen

After a small boobo I bought some Honda touch up paint pen from the dealer. The paint pen is coded to be exactly the same colour as your Fit, which for me is white Orchid Pearl. The paint came with instructions that say to dab the paint from pen onto the affected area and wait 6 hrs to dry. Then follow up with the clear coat, the opposite end of the pen, which also takes 6 hrs to dry.

Has anyone tried this on their Fits? I was wondering after dabbing the paint and waiting to dry, if it would be helpful to wet sand the paint with something like 440? After which you add the clear coat?

Any advice would be helpful.

2016 Honda Fit touch-up paint

Old 09-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I hate pens. If it's a chip the size of the edge of the tip it works somewhat but I usually end up making a blob on a plastic sheet (pallet) and use a tooth pick to apply.

It's easier if u mix the base and clear and apply in one shot. Then reapply until it matches the height of the surrounding paint. Then wetsand 2000 grit followed by mild polishing.

Last edited by kenchan; 09-22-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
It's never gonna look "factory fresh" using touch up paint, but....it beats rust forming. I long ago gave up on having a perfect finish, as there are too many arseholes who dent/ding yer car however and don't care.....so....since it's my daily driver, a crappy "touch-up" works for me, as I didn't buy this car as an investment or to "be seen in" ... am sure there's a good way to go about it .... some moron gouged my driver's side bumper up real well a couple weeks after we bought it, but....it ain't gonna rust, I ain't gonna sweat it....shtuff happens, unfortunately!!!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
yah, im okay with road scars from daily use too. i hate dings so fix those. scratches, not so picky.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:41 PM
I have the Honda 4-in-1 paint pen. It's similar to yours but with an added paint brush and abrasive prep tip. The pen works fine for small scratches and chips - larger repairs, not so much, at least not for me.

I had a tree branch fall and scratch the edge of my hood (several scratches in a small area actually). I used the pen per instructions and it came out looking like it was done by an amateur, which I am. I took it to the dealer and asked if they could do a better job, maybe buff it out or something and repaint the area. They said no, the job I did was as good as it will get. Only repainting the whole hood would get it back to normal, which I declined. Like Fuelish says, it's never gonna look factory fresh again using touch up paint.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:43 AM
To OP, how much was this pen at the dealer?

Old 09-23-2016, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ClifFit
To OP, how much was this pen at the dealer?
The Honda touch-up paint pen was $13CAD, not much.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
With every vehicle I have owned I buy matching touch up paint, and then a fine, small artist brush at a art supply store. You can get them with as small and a fine a tip as anyone would need.
Then I paint as needed.

I find whatever "instrument" provide with either pen, or just touch up paint and provided brush...always too clumsy to do the job the way I would want.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
For large scratches I'll have to try that Honda specific color pen, but just the other day by chance I was taking off some tape that "melted" in the sun from this roof rack addition I made for my kayak so I used Goof Off to get the tape residue off. Around my door handles on the outside I have many small scratches maybe from my ring or whatever, anyway, the Goof Off got rid of all those scratches with ease. Also had two big areas where someone must have opened their door and hit mine on the driver's side, and again, the Goof Off got those marks off completely.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
I used one of those and it ended up looking worse than the original chip but at least it is covered so it will slow down rust. I would look into using a tiny artist's paintbrush for applying the paint rather than the pen or supplied brush.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Bought some 2000 grit wet dry.

3M 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper

Old 02-11-2017, 11:24 AM
I found the product you were looking for on the Color N Drive website. App results look nice.

https://colorndrive.com/en/touch-up-...-fit-2016,1277

Old 02-11-2017, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
For simple roadrash repair, I've had good luck with Dr. ColorChip. Both Honda color match and ease of use.

For serious scratches, dings and dents I call in the professionals.

DaveGee

Old 02-11-2017, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
i have one for my GTI and it's literally like a pen. i just dab it, let it dry a few days and go over it with da clear pen 4-5 times or more until a little hump (convex) is made and let dry for 2-3 weeks.

then sand it down with 3000 grit and polish afterwards. usually i can get the chip to match pretty well to da surrounding paint to a point id have to search for it.

for chips like at edges of hoods and stuff, i just tab da basecoat. mainly for rust prevention.