3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

lost key procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
lost key procedure

Hypothetically speaking . . . what does one do if they lose their push button start Honda Fit key while on vacation hundreds of miles away from home where the spare key is located?

Last edited by Press Fit; 10-20-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Does your fit have regular key start or push button start??? If regular, a locksmith should be able to obtain key shape from door keyhole, cut, and program a new key. Push button with the keyless entry, I have no idea? Call a locksmith or call Honda??? When we go outta town, we always take 2 keys for whatever car ....one stays in my possession, one stays with my Mrs (or in the hotel room or wherever)

Old 10-20-2016, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Do you belong to AAA? Do you have Honda Assistance? I'd start with the nearest Honda dealer and call AAA too.

I assume you're traveling alone. I have the good fortune of a travel companion, so one fob goes with him and one with me when we're travelling other than locally. Doesn't help you, however.

Unfortunately I've read on here that it's going to be expensive.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:04 AM
I called the local Honda dealership and they quoted me a price of $50 for the key and $75 to program it. Only $15 for a key to just open the door but won't start the car - which doesn't help you unfortunately.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick
I called the local Honda dealership and they quoted me a price of $50 for the key and $75 to program it. Only $15 for a key to just open the door but won't start the car - which doesn't help you unfortunately.
That's much less expensive than I would have thought.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick
I imagine since the OP has an EX, the smart key would be a lot more money than that too.

Any way someone back home could overnight you the key? Probably would be cheaper than getting Honda to make you another one, unless you'd still want another one down the road.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I imagine since the OP has an EX, the smart key would be a lot more money than that too.

Any way someone back home could overnight you the key? Probably would be cheaper than getting Honda to make you another one, unless you'd still want another one down the road.
That's a terrific idea.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
What I have done in the past when in that type of situation is simply pack the back-up key in a different location.

While on the road and on the way to the destination, I simply carry both fobs, in different pockets. The chances of losing both would be astronomical.
Once I arrive, I keep the one fob on me, and pack the spare in a safe pocket in the luggage. Or anywhere I know it is secure.

The "worst case" scenario then becomes I'd have to find a way to return to a Hotel Room, and obtain the stashed key.

The REAL protocol?
Is when I'm traveling, I'm just really, really careful and aware of where my keys and wallet are at all times.

I also gave thought to the idea of leaving the spare with friends or family with the idea that I could contact them and have them "overnight" me the back-up if needed. But that seemed like it could be problematic in it's own right.
So on "really long" far away from home road trips, It's carry both on me in different locations until I arrive...then stash one securely. Reverse on return trip.

Last edited by fitchet; 10-20-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I have had this thought too. Which led me to start a discussion about hiding one on the car.

It's very simple. Remove the mechanical key, place it in a magnetic key box and stash up under the car. Then I took the battery out of the fob and put it and the battery in a small bag and stashed it in the car, behind some upholstery, plenty of places in the car to do this.

So I always have a spare key as long as I have my car.

And the chances of someone finding the magnetic key box and opening the car and then finding the fob hidden in the car would be "astronomical", to quote someone above

This is also good if, for instance I park the car at the airport and my partner flies back to the airport before me, she can find the keys and drive home

And, to the price quote above, there is no way. The key alone will set you back well over $200,

Old 10-31-2016, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
"And the chances of someone finding the magnetic key box and opening the car and then finding the fob hidden in the car would be "astronomical", to quote someone above"

We just disagree about this.

My feeling is WHY create a scenario that allows for the possibility of someone breaking into your car....PERIOD?

Thieves DO look for magnetic boxes..and if they find them..they know they contain the key to open the vehicle. Even if they can't then start the vehicle...they've gotten into your vehicle...and that's not good.

Why not take the ZERO risk approach?

The chances someone breaks into your hotel room, finds your stored key, then travels out into the world and finds your vehicle...is absolutely ZERO.

The chances a thief looks for a magnetic key box, finds it, and get's into your vehicle...because the key was attached to it? Much higher.

I just see limited wisdom of assembling all the parts necessary to enter my vehicle...key, fob and battery..and then putting them all in and on the same, what will be unguarded vehicle.

Even if the chances of someone finding the key, fob and battery are minimal.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
It took the triple A guy a bit over 30 seconds to open my fit, zero damage no noise..

Cars get broke in to, when there is something visible to steal. Especially at airports.

Make sure the car is empty, open the ashtray so its visibly empty (The meth heads want your change).

I think your WAY overestimating the average thief finding the key box, the fit is so freeking low to the ground there are several spots that come to mind that if you didn't know exactly where to reach you would not find the key. And thieves don't hang around, they need to move or get caught. These days with all the electronic countermeasures and anti theft tech, according to my agent 80% ish of cars stolen are stolen with a tow truck or Car dolly. no key needed. Most cars that are stolen by amateurs are over 15 years old because of all the electronics and coded keys.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by danarnold
So lost the keys to my 82 320i and im moving so need to move the car.. Is there a way to unlock the steering wheel without the key..?
have you tried a BMW e21 forum?