3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My GK5 Track Day Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 03:48 AM
Smile My GK5 Track Day Build

Hello guys

Just wanted to introduce my self, Names Jon

Been creeping on the forums for some time now and thought it was time to start contributing

So picked up a 2015 Honda Fit EX, used certified preowned 18k on the ticker with the factor 100k warranty (Thank god I did). So I picked up this car for a DD, Something I could take the dogs to the park, My hobbies, and etc. Just a practical car over my s2k and my CBR1000RR. So fast forward a year Ive moved sold my s2k and my motorcycle and I have the itch to hit the track again.

My plan is to run mostly stock class in Scca, Speed ventures, Vtec Club with Extreme Speed in 2017. I think the only thing I am really going to change is my wheel and tire set up . Thinking about going with WedsSport TC105N 15x7+35 and a RS3 tire 195/55/15. Most of the classes I am trying to stay in will not allow coilovers so thinking about going with a mild spring drop(open to options). I would love to hear any feed back from anyone who currently tracks there fit. any mods that you would recommend?

So back to my warranty. I have put 15k miles on top of the 18k I purchased the car with and so far have had to get a replacement front right shock, Fuel Injectors, Starter,AC recharged since it never seems to get cold, my interior trim by the front left dash is not flush at the Aframe and they finally said the would order me new trim to see if it fits any better, my front bump sags down.

Well after that I know, I still would like to build the car for stock class track days. would love any feed back on my post. Sorry its kind of all over the place.

Cheers Jon

Last edited by Nightime; 11-14-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
I infrequently autox my Fit, and did wheels, tires, rear bar, RS-R "Down" springs (smallest amount of drop I could find - our roads are horrible here in Illinois), camber bolts on the OEM struts and shims on the rear axles (plus some alignment tuning). It really changed the "fun factor" of driving the car, without making it unsuitable for DD.

Details plus links to videos of me on the track are in the mod thread in my sig.

es

Last edited by stembridge; 11-14-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:16 AM
jhn
I had mine out at VIR over the weekend. The more you track it, the more you're going to find you need to do to the suspension.

I recommend making tires, alignment, and suspension mods first priority over any engine mods. Once the car is hooked up and handling how you like it, then think about more power. Remember, you can't use it if you can't put it to the pavement.

Without aggressive negative camber and stiffer springs, you'll blow through 200tw tires in one track day.

Last edited by jhn; 11-14-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:20 AM
jhn
The Fit is a pretty good rookie car. FWD and low power, but good handling is a good teaching tool. It's about momentum.

Drawbacks are as the car becomes more suited toward track days, the worse it is for daily driving. The Fit suspension is just not designed for super aggressive driving in stock form.

Last edited by jhn; 11-14-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:45 AM
jhn
Also, you mentioned stock class (street class): spring mods are not allowed. Camber bolts are not either.
Honda does offer a factory bolt that's good for 1/2 degree, but it has to be mentioned in the manual to be compliant with the rules. If it is ( I'm not sure) you might be able to use top and bottom for a total of -1 degree. You'll need about -2.5 to -3.5 to see any sort of decent tread wear. I went street touring just in attempt to extend the service life of consumables.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by stembridge
I infrequently autox my Fit, and did wheels, tires, rear bar, RS-R "Down" springs (smallest amount of drop I could find - our roads are horrible here in Illinois), camber bolts on the OEM struts and shims on the rear axles (plus some alignment tuning). It really changed the "fun factor" of driving the car, without making it unsuitable for DD.

es
Thanks for all the tips, what camber bolts and shims did you order? do you have any part numbers or links?

Old 11-14-2016, 03:12 PM
So for my Honda Fit I applied some yellow Lamin-x protective film on my fogs to protect them from rocks flying up and for the looks. Also applied some Lamin-X clear on my BMW F30 headlights and fogs but ran out for the Honda fit, figured the fit headlights are much cheaper anyways, but Ill order some more soon. Next I hated the look of the chrome trim on the rear hatch so I took it off and used some 3M gloss black vinyl and now it looks much nicer.

I know my cars are super dirty and need to detail them ASAP, My CarPro IronX and Menzerna polish just came in.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nightime
Thanks for all the tips, what camber bolts and shims did you order? do you have any part numbers or links?
Moog K66601 Camber/Toe Alignment Shim

Specialty Products Company 81260 Alignment Kit

Both were purchased off Amazon.

es

Old 11-16-2016, 11:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
this thread is like an example of before and after plastic surgery gone bad..

Old 11-18-2016, 06:01 AM
I like the vinyl on the back.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:20 AM
jhn
Originally Posted by kenchan
this thread is like an example of before and after plastic surgery gone bad..
you kids get off my lawn

Old 03-08-2017, 05:24 PM
So Last weekend was my First track event at Button Willow with Speed Ventures, and now I am hooked. But before my track event, I did a few mods to the car some of them cosmetic and some of them to get the car somewhat ready for the track. I Tinted the windows since it was starting to warm up in Southern CA I went limo all around, and it helped keep the car that much cooler since our AC systems are so shity. I wrapped the roof and hood in gloss black to protect the car from getting any more rock chips, and I also think it looks nice.

Now on to the Track enhancements I picked up some new wheels in 15x7+35 and wrapped them with the new Federal 595RSR-RR in 205/50/15 and WOW did that make a huge difference you can feel how light the wheels are vs. my stock 16 EX wheels. I also changed out my stock front rotors and pads to Stoptech Pads and a new set of blank rotors and man I wish I did that sooner. The car stops SOOOO much better everyone should change out there stock front brakes.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member

So picked up a 2015 Honda Fit EX, used certified preowned 18k on the ticker with the factor 100k warranty (Thank god I did).
So back to my warranty. I have put 15k miles on top of the 18k I purchased the car with and so far have had to get a replacement front right shock, Fuel Injectors, Starter,AC recharged since it never seems to get cold, my interior trim by the front left dash is not flush at the Aframe and they finally said the would order me new trim to see if it fits any better, my front bump sags down.
At the risk of thread-crashing I'd like to ask about your repairs. The front shock, the injectors, the starter, that all happened while your car was a DD, correct? That seems a bit extreme; I'd be more than a bit upset. Approx what mileage if your remember? The AC does suck but my heat hasn't felt so great either this year and it wasn't really cold that much this year outside da great city of Chicago. I'd be curious to know if the new trim is more flush, a lot of people here have reported having the same misalignment. I got used to the bumper sag a long time ago, I don't really notice it anymore. And your 100K warranty, it was aftermarket? I avoid warranties as a rule but yours certainly served you well, congrats. Also could you give the neighborhood of your build number? I'm thinking it was an early one.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bach
At the risk of thread-crashing I'd like to ask about your repairs. The front shock, the injectors, the starter, that all happened while your car was a DD, correct? That seems a bit extreme; I'd be more than a bit upset. Approx what mileage if your remember? The AC does suck but my heat hasn't felt so great either this year and it wasn't really cold that much this year outside da great city of Chicago. I'd be curious to know if the new trim is more flush, a lot of people here have reported having the same misalignment. I got used to the bumper sag a long time ago, I don't really notice it anymore. And your 100K warranty, it was aftermarket? I avoid warranties as a rule but yours certainly served you well, congrats. Also could you give the neighborhood of your build number? I'm thinking it was an early one.
The car was my DD and had less than 35k when it all happen. I have the factory 100k powertrain and I just hit the 40k bumper to bumper that came with the car but I also paid for the aftermarket 120k 7year bumper to bumper warranty it was only 1500 and seems worth it to me. For the bumper sag I also just got over it nothing can really be done. They did replace the front left gray A-pillar trim piece that meets the dash, mine that came with the car was warped and didn't sit flush to the dash. Also back to warranties nowadays I think are totally worth my BMW 328 has a 120k warranty that was a bit more 2800 for bumper to bumper and it covers tires which I've used twice with nothing out of pocket.

Sorry, I don't quite understand. Also, could you give the neighborhood of your build number? I'm thinking it was an early one.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'm doing solo this year. Joined SCCA. Got a set of 15" Nitto Neo's so I can save the Falken's. We'll see what happens.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robs
I'm doing solo this year. Joined SCCA. Got a set of 15" Nitto Neo's so I can save the Falken's. We'll see what happens.

Depending on your level of commitment to Solo racing you might want to rethink the Nitto's? Last two years and probably this year also the best 200TW tire has been the Bridgestone RE-71R. There's the new Ventus RS4 which may or may not be better? If you already haven't done it, you might also consider an alignment more to autocross scecs?

Good of luck and have fun

Old 03-10-2017, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry, I don't quite understand. Also, could you give the neighborhood of your build number? I'm thinking it was an early one.
Forget the build number (maybe I'm using the wrong term, it's the last five digits of your VIN). The VIN badge on the door jamb tells the month/year your car was buiilt, when was it? Mine is Jan 2015. I'm thinking your car might be older.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
Forget the build number (maybe I'm using the wrong term, it's the last five digits of your VIN). The VIN badge on the door jamb tells the month/year your car was buiilt, when was it? Mine is Jan 2015. I'm thinking your car might be older.

with computers and networks the sequential numbers really don't represent the same way they did in the 60's. The next Sequential number generated is usually the next car off the line regardless of assembly plant. Actually it's usually the next car at the AVI point where the cars barcode gets married to the VIN. Usually the next model year production starts around May. For a model launch I'd expect late March or definitely April. You can easily see 10 digit skip in numbers for cars running down a line

Old 03-11-2017, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
So Last weekend was my First track event at Button Willow with Speed Ventures, and now I am hooked. But before my track event, I did a few mods to the car some of them cosmetic and some of them to get the car somewhat ready for the track. I Tinted the windows since it was starting to warm up in Southern CA I went limo all around, and it helped keep the car that much cooler since our AC systems are so shity. I wrapped the roof and hood in gloss black to protect the car from getting any more rock chips, and I also think it looks nice.

Now on to the Track enhancements I picked up some new wheels in 15x7+35 and wrapped them with the new Federal 595RSR-RR in 205/50/15 and WOW did that make a huge difference you can feel how light the wheels are vs. my stock 16 EX wheels. I also changed out my stock front rotors and pads to Stoptech Pads and a new set of blank rotors and man I wish I did that sooner. The car stops SOOOO much better everyone should change out there stock front brakes.

Hopefully you'll be coming to the 3/26 Vtec Club events at SOW. We need some more Fits to battle.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:52 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
Hopefully you'll be coming to the 3/26 Vtec Club events at SOW. We need some more Fits to battle.
Maybe in a few months, I can start doing Vtec club events. I have a busy schedule right now and have saved all the dates for HFF challenge for Speed Ventures. What class do you run in Vtec Club?

Check out my first run out at Button Willow in the beginner group. had a few cars get in my way and it busted my lap time but its cool ill get it next time

I am open to advise, Thank you guys

Ill be updating my Instagram page as i go
https://www.instagram.com/racethefit/

Last edited by Nightime; 03-21-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: My GK5 Track Day Build