3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Need advice - Damaged lift gate or boot door

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy Need advice - Damaged lift gate or boot door

Hi everyone,
Today I whilst driving my fit at 30km/hr, a Toyota Coaster bus smashed into my back and caused damage to my boot door and some scratches on my bumper. My car is 7 months old and on comprehensive insurance. The bus driver is at fault but my insurance has advice me to put a new door as the car is still new. But they want me to pay an excess of $700 first then they will settle the total repair cost. The bus belong to a travel agent company and it is also comprehensive. I am now weighing between repairing the same door which will cost much less than buying new door and don't claim with insurance or pay the excess and replace the door.

I need your advice guys.

Thanks, Norbert

Please see attached photos to see damage.

Attached Thumbnails Need advice - Damaged lift gate or boot door-imageedit_5_4148842219.jpg   Need advice - Damaged lift gate or boot door-dsc_9314.jpg   Need advice - Damaged lift gate or boot door-dsc_9315.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'd definitely replace the hatch door if there were problems with the seal but otherwise I'd look for a way to take out the dent. Around here they have shops that specialize in <a href="http://apexdentremoval.com">paintless dent repair</a> that might be able to take care of that.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Others here have been rear ended, and the cost for the bumper replacement was ~$1500US. If they will replace both the door and the bumper I'd pay the $700 deductible. Could a local body shop take out the dent in the hatch?

Old 11-19-2016, 09:07 PM
have your insurance company inform the at fault drivers insurance company that they are going to replace the door and bumper at no cost to you. the at fault driver's insurance company has to make it right. also demand factory not aftermarket parts. of course I'm going by how it works in the US so mmv

Old 11-20-2016, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
I'd definitely replace the hatch door if there were problems with the seal but otherwise I'd look for a way to take out the dent. Around here they have shops that specialize in <a href="http://apexdentremoval.com">paintless dent repair</a> that might be able to take care of that.
Thank you Bach......With regards to dent removal here, we only have panel beater garage who would use the conventional way. Meaning using hammer, quick fills, polishing and spraying. I will bring the car to one of the garage tomorrow to assess the damage and advise if they can do it or not. This will require complete re-painting of the hatch I believe. I'll see how it goes.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Others here have been rear ended, and the cost for the bumper replacement was ~$1500US. If they will replace both the door and the bumper I'd pay the $700 deductible. Could a local body shop take out the dent in the hatch?
Dear Torontoboy....This is what I am going to know tomorrow with the Garage. But you see, if I don't claim from my insurance, I will need to pay the dent removal which include re-painting of both hatch door and bumper. This might cost more that the $700. I'd rather go for door replacement.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bladhmadh
have your insurance company inform the at fault drivers insurance company that they are going to replace the door and bumper at no cost to you. the at fault driver's insurance company has to make it right. also demand factory not aftermarket parts. of course I'm going by how it works in the US so mmv
Hi Bladhmadh...Thanks for your advice. My insurance company has already told me that I am not at fault. But tomorrow they will contact the fault driver's insurance to inform. My insurance told me that I can settle the $700 now so that they can proceed with my claim or I can wait for the response from the fault driver's insurance and take it from there. Do you think I will get a refund of the the $700 if the other insurance accept total liability?

Old 11-20-2016, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
I've had the same scenario with our CR-V. I chose to proceed with the new rear door (hatch) rather than risk water intrusion and possible rusting from a delayed job.

Here in the USA, the deductible was repaid to me after the other insurance company paid.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
idk if this helps, but similar thing for me, slight dent in the back hatch door first week of ownership, too big for a dent guy, deductible was 500 clams, I paid. better than any alternative I had at the time.
BTW that was for a back hatch door panel replacement, not a dent repair/repainting

Last edited by 4d3fect; 11-20-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Carbuff - Thanks for the advice. I hope it will be the same here. I will know tomorrow with my insurance if I will be refunded the excess.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
4d3fect...The garage will make his assessment tomorrow to see if he can repair the door. In any case, because of the huge insurance excess, I have to pay, I will go for a new hatch. Thanks. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Here in Canada comprehensive insurance means that if you crash and the other party was at fault you pay nothing. I hope this is the case for you OP.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, the other party should send u a check to reimburse the deductible. you should have to pay zero out of pocket.

since i dont feel like waiting i usually just get the repair done and pay the deductible, then wait for the check to come in the mail from the other party.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
Guys,

All your contributions have been very valuable and much appreciated. I will remember all your advice as I go through the resolution. I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Thanks, Norbert

Old 11-21-2016, 02:32 PM
I would take the 700 and not fix it, it doesn't look bad, just polish it, no one will notice, as a mater of fact you can fix it yourself, just watch some youtubs, a piece of wood with the right shape/pressure on the right place will pope the bend back, DON'T use any metals.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
I'm with the camp that wonders why YOUR insurance is asking for money upfront from you.
The WHOLE thing NOT your fault..other driver and insurance responsible...

Whatever you decide it should cost you NOTHING.

Personally, replace or repair...or whatever...on a vehicle as new as yours? I'd probably do it. It WOULD bother me.

Part of the luxury of owning a new vehicle is NOT having damage like that....at least for a while.

If it was a 5-10+ year old vehicle?

I might attempt repair myself or live with it.

But that's just my own subjective opinion.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:00 PM
when my dad was in an accident, he had 2 options, deal with the guy who is at fault's insurance company. Or have his insurance company deal with the other insurance company but would have to pay the deductible

Old 11-22-2016, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by salamlaith
I would take the 700 and not fix it, it doesn't look bad, just polish it, no one will notice, as a mater of fact you can fix it yourself, just watch some youtubs, a piece of wood with the right shape/pressure on the right place will pope the bend back, DON'T use any metals.
Salamlaith, Perhaps the picture is not too visible, but the dents are in quite in a difficult location to do it myself. I will definitely have it done by a professional.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I'm with the camp that wonders why YOUR insurance is asking for money upfront from you.
The WHOLE thing NOT your fault..other driver and insurance responsible...

Whatever you decide it should cost you NOTHING.

Personally, replace or repair...or whatever...on a vehicle as new as yours? I'd probably do it. It WOULD bother me.

Part of the luxury of owning a new vehicle is NOT having damage like that....at least for a while.

If it was a 5-10+ year old vehicle?

I might attempt repair myself or live with it.

But that's just my own subjective opinion.
Will surely get it repaired.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ab30494
when my dad was in an accident, he had 2 options, deal with the guy who is at fault's insurance company. Or have his insurance company deal with the other insurance company but would have to pay the deductible
That's exactly what I am up to now. Trying to get the company whose driver smashed into my hatch to pay for the repair without involving my own insurance company. If they are prepared to pay for the repair, I will be quite satisfied even though, my car value have gone down.

Quick Reply: Need advice - Damaged lift gate or boot door