3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Need advice - My 2015 fit lost power sometimes when climbing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
Need advice - My 2015 fit lost power sometimes when climbing

I have noticed that when climbing my fit would lose power when in 4th gear and the car just slow down although I am pressing the accelerator. After a while it regain the power and speed back.
I don't know what is causing this. But sometimes it maintain power and speed all along. Grateful for your comments.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Bad coils or a lose spark plug? If you have a CVT it is possible that the mechanics/speed sensors in the transmission not communicating with the software well?

Last edited by wasserball; 01-07-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
He mentions "4th gear" so it's not a CVT.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
^^ They could also be referring to the CVT's "4th 'gear'" belt tension when in "manual mode". Or... If its a Fit Hybrid, it may have a dual clutch transmission. We have a large mix of users on the forum and some markets get drastically different equipment than that of the US and Canada.

Specifically, what is the S trim for your Fit? Is it a 1.5L or 1.2L/1.3L? Is it VTEC or i-DSI? Is it a hybrid? Is it manual, CVT, or DCT (dual clutch transmission)?

By any chance does your model have a recall for faulty coil packs? I know US-spec Fits built in Mexico with the L15B1 engine was affected by this for the 2015 model year. If so, have that done and recheck for concern. Also, were there any error codes set or any alerts by any chance when this happened?

Additional things to consider... (If equipped) Was Eco mode active and/or the air conditioning on? What about fuel? Have you changed fuel stations recently or do they have "seasonal fuel blends"?

Eco mode reduces throttle sensitivity in effort to improve fuel efficiency and widens the range that the A/C cycles its compressor. So if temp was set at say 70 degrees Fahrenheit (if you have digital/auto A/C typically) with Eco mode inactive the cabin temp may rise 2 to 3 degrees, cycle the A/C compressor on, and drop the temp back to about 70 degrees. With Eco mode active, that range increases to 3 to 5 degrees. The theory behind this is less A/C cycling = less load on the engine (also allowing for more of the engine's power... or lack there of... to be used to keep the vehicle going) = less fuel consumed.

And like touched on in the theory above, if the A/C was on then it will of course be putting additional load on the engine while driving and taking a little bit of the engine's power away to run that compressor.

This is all thinking out loud by the way. I don't see any Fit S models in my region/market.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
^^ They could also be referring to the CVT's "4th 'gear'" belt tension when in "manual mode". Or... If its a Fit Hybrid, it may have a dual clutch transmission. We have a large mix of users on the forum and some markets get drastically different equipment than that of the US and Canada.

Specifically, what is the S trim for your Fit? Is it a 1.5L or 1.2L/1.3L? Is it VTEC or i-DSI? Is it a hybrid? Is it manual, CVT, or DCT (dual clutch transmission)?

By any chance does your model have a recall for faulty coil packs? I know US-spec Fits built in Mexico with the L15B1 engine was affected by this for the 2015 model year. If so, have that done and recheck for concern. Also, were there any error codes set or any alerts by any chance when this happened?

Additional things to consider... (If equipped) Was Eco mode active and/or the air conditioning on? What about fuel? Have you changed fuel stations recently or do they have "seasonal fuel blends"?

Eco mode reduces throttle sensitivity in effort to improve fuel efficiency and widens the range that the A/C cycles its compressor. So if temp was set at say 70 degrees Fahrenheit (if you have digital/auto A/C typically) with Eco mode inactive the cabin temp may rise 2 to 3 degrees, cycle the A/C compressor on, and drop the temp back to about 70 degrees. With Eco mode active, that range increases to 3 to 5 degrees. The theory behind this is less A/C cycling = less load on the engine (also allowing for more of the engine's power... or lack there of... to be used to keep the vehicle going) = less fuel consumed.

And like touched on in the theory above, if the A/C was on then it will of course be putting additional load on the engine while driving and taking a little bit of the engine's power away to run that compressor.

This is all thinking out loud by the way. I don't see any Fit S models in my region/market.
I want to crazy glue that button and put some black electrical tape over it so it would be permanently forgotten. It should have been replaced with an active sport button that keeps the rpm higher between gears and stiffen up the shocks and steering box.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie

-----------------------------------------
Hi Hootie,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

My car is:
- Honda Fit Hybrid 1.5L
- VTEC
- CVT
- Japanese made
- S Model
- Has the ECON mode
- Has an "Sport Mode" where the engine produce more power as it overides battery charge function.

I usually use the Sport mode when climbing. So the issue I am referring to occurs in "Sport" mode. I haven't noticed if it occurs in both ECON or normal drive.

Yesterday I tested it again in Sport mode and ECON on with 5 paxs and it climbs perfectly well as full speed. I need to test it in normal mode to also rule out this problem in normal mode.

I will also test it when driving in Hybrid mode to see what happen.

Please be advised, that the FIT Hybrid S model, has gear shifter in the steering, where I can use it when in "S" mode. Meaning I normally drive manually. The function of manual drive would only activated if I shift the gear once. If I activate the "S" mode and does use the shifter, the vehicle will be driven like a normal CVT. Meaning it will shift the gear by itself. But once I use the shifter once, the vehicle expects me to be driving it manually now and I will have to use the shifter all the time. To disable this I have to deactivate the "S" mode and get back to normal hybrid mode.

I am also thinking that the issue could have happen when I was in 5th gear. But one thing to note is that when driving in manual mode in S, the vehicle will shift down to lower gear automatically if it feels necessary like when loosing speed, but will never shift to a higher gear (e.g. 3rd to 4th) unless you do so with the shifter.

I hope you have better undertoodd how the vehicle operate now, and your suggestion would be much appreciated.

Norbert

Old 01-10-2017, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NLEPATHY
-----------------------------------------
Hi Hootie,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

My car is:
- Honda Fit Hybrid 1.5L

Norbert
What's the average MPG with Hybrid?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaubBaer
What's the average MPG with Hybrid?
Well my average MPG is 17km/L. This is because I am driving mostly short distances and mountainous area.
Thanks

Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting... We do not have any hybrid models in the states but I'm rather curious if this Eco/Normal/Sport function is similar to that of the CR-Z's IMA system.

By any chance to you recall what the IMA battery charge state was during the concern?

I know by personal experience that in my ZF2 CR-Z that once the IMA battery is on the final two bars, the assistance it provides is reduced... Making the vehicle seem sluggish or "dead" compared to normal.