3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Which deal sounds better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
Which deal sounds better?

I am looking at a new 2016 Fit EX (in my favorite color) for an out the door price of $18,500 vs a 2015 Fit EX (in my favorite color) for a near as I can tell $12,000 price that has 12,500 miles that has a salvage title.

I plan to keep the car for a very long time. The salvage title car has right rear 7 inch scrape that if buffed out would be barely noticeable but also that has a problem with the rear driver side seat that does not lock down and, according to a Honda dealer requires a $235 part to fix.

According to 2 body shops the salvage title car repair is excellent, but it remains a salvage title.

Would you spring the extra $6500 for the new model? The result being that instead of paying off my home mortgage in Dec of 2017 (of which I have been paying hard upon for 2 years) would mean paying it off in July of 2018. I abhor debt.

Which would you choose? And why?

A third option is to buy a 2015 Fit LX (salvage title) with the alloy wheels in my least favorite color that has 19,000 miles and foregoing the paddle shifters, premium stereo (which sounds like crap) out the door for $9000.

Again which would you choose and why?

Thanks for your justified opinions.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
I'll assume for the moment you did your homework and are fully aware of the damages that branded these salvaged cars and you are ok willing to accept that. That being said, you mention the cars have salvage titles... are you sure? Or do they simply have salvage certificates? They are 2 different animals with implications on what you need to do to register. Never buy any car with a salvage certificate unless you want the hassle of going through the repair process and/or your state's inspection process. A salvage certificate simply means the car may or may not have been repaired, but it hasn't been inspected and approved yet and the car can't be registered 'as is'. The fixes may have been done, but the rebuilt title hasn't been issued (and conceivably may not ever be if you buy it without ALL the required info required by your state). Assuming the cars have been through all inspections and a REBUILT title has been issued make sure 2 things are added to your purchase contract... 1) you have a right to return the car without cost in the event you are unable to register the car within 'X' number of days and 2) you get copies of all applicable documents submitted to the state and from the state in which you intend to register the vehicle applicable to the inspection/titling process. Not all salvage vehicles are bad, but buying a bargain isn't one if you can't register the vehicle or you are burdened with the inspection process. Where I live it is a nightmare and it's best left to the repair facility to do since they have the documents which need to be submitted to the state. Also to note, if you ever plan to move to another state, check beforehand if your branded title will be a problem. Good luck man and make sure you get a competent mechanic to thoroughly inspect the cars before you commit.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
I can see why people want to save money and buy a salvage title, but is it worth the hassle of the gremlins that may crop up? I know of another board member who has a salvage and he'll post odd threads of, hey does your car do this 'cause mine does and I don't know why? Well I know why, it's a salvaged title car that's why

Does the warranty carry over on a salvage title? I'd wager not. Heck, not even sure a recall would be covered. So what happens if the airbags are recalled? Are you just SOL and either have to live with it or repair out of pocket? Might want to do some research on those points before you pull the trigger.

You have to ask yourself if the scrape and the seat are all that needs to be repaired, then why'd they salvage it?

If it only sets you back 8 months to pay off the mortgage, then to me it's worth waiting. You may conceivably own this car for 10+ years, what's 8 months really going to set you back?

Old 01-11-2017, 07:29 AM
I'd choose the new one. For me, the peace of mind of driving a new dependable car is worth more than the savings I'd get. It's too big of a risk and you'll still have debt, just not quite as much.

Also, I don't think the new car warranty will be covered.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
I would buy a new one. That way you know about the way it was driven and maintenance from the start since it is all your time behind the wheel.

James

Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Assuming I trusted the place that did the rebuild of the cars with the salvage title, I would probably choose one of those. That is a rather big assumption. For me, the third would be the better deal, but that's partly because I really don't care much one way or the other about car colors and most car gadgetry. (Actually, truth be told, I would prefer if possible to pay off the mortgage now and forego a new car if that's a practical option, but I'm guessing that it may not be.)

There is a place near here that specializes in salvage vehicles. They do good work and have been around for quite awhile. I've known at least a few people who got cars there and had no problems whatsoever, at least no more than would be had with any used car. But there are plenty of places and people who are less conscientious out there, as well.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:56 PM
If you're boring get the new.

If you're an adventurer get the salvage.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
get the newer one. as mentioned many times, 2015's were notorious for having issues.