3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

VTC actuator rattle on a 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
My '15 LX w/ 6spd mt has now done it a total of 4 times since last June....all since the weather turned cold down here in TN, but....one time was not terribly cold (38 degrees by dash thermometer) and there've been a couple of below 30 degree days it did NOT make the noise...go figure...a co-worker has the same noise on her CRV, and took it to the dealer, only for them to not able to replicate the problem...no surprise there....the way it sounds, it can't possibly be "normal" ....something ain't right

Old 02-15-2017, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Picked up the car just now, and so far, no issues. There was no charge for the work. The part number for the VCT Actuator (46T) is 14310-5R1-013. Don't know if that's an updated part from original or not, and the service advisor didn't know, either, although she did say the VCT for the CRV engine has the same issue and has an updated part.

Will report back if it starts rattling again, otherwise assume "no news is good news."

es

Old 02-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Does anybody know what the cost (parts/labor) would be to fix this? Just wondering since dealer can't duplicate problem under warranty.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Your best bet is to have the dealer give you a quote.

es

Old 02-20-2017, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
VTC again!

My VTC began to rattle at 10,000 km (6000 miles). It took 25,000 km for it to begin to occur often enough that the dealer could reproduce it. They had also not heard of this problem on the Fit before. I finally had the actuator replaced under warranty but it took 2 visits because thay did not stock the part. It's 10,000 km later now and the problem is back. Clearly I did not get the new part number. I expect I will have to live with this until it occurs almost daily again.

The most frustrating thing about this car is not the problems I have had, it's the inaction by the dealerships and the need for owners to reproduce the problem before they will address them. I've had issues with the shocks, head unit, hood alignment, front bumper drooping, and the VTC. Each problem has resulted in multiple visits. 2 out of 5 have been corrected (shocks and VTC) and now I'm going to have to deal with the VTC again (heavy sigh).

If the dealers and Honda would read this forum, they might be better informed and more responsive. I give Honda 2 out of 5 stars for after sales customer service.

Last edited by kc750; 03-13-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 AM
What was going on with your shocks?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kc750
It's 10,000 km later now and the problem is back. Clearly I did not get the new part number. I expect I will have to live with this until it occurs almost daily again.
87k kms on my odo with these daily rattles. I highly suspect that these rattles do not actually do any engine damage. I also suspect that there must be a pressurized oil feed that runs through the VT gizmo in question. Last time I changed my oil, I did not pre-fill the oil filter to see how the rattle behaves. It rattled for a good 3.5 seconds, which is longer than the usual 1 to 2 seconds, which clearly indicates that this is an oil pressure system problem. I guess the oil filter is supposed to keep oil from draining back, but it does drain back just enough to cause that rattle noise. Honda should just release a statement saying it's a "earth dream rattle by design" to shut up us forum complainers lol.

I will keep driving like this in my case. I have never heard of a complete motor failure/extensive damage due to these rattles. My rattles are just as bad as before, and are not getting any worst.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:03 PM
19k on my 2016 cvt fit, it happen 1 out 10 times I start

Old 03-03-2017, 08:01 AM
2015 honda fit ex

I have the same issue on mine, I have a 2015 honda fit ex and it's a 6 speed manual. When I bought it brand new had a little over 1000 miles and that nasty rattle grind started, only on first initial start ups on a cold day. Sometimes it happens on a nice warm day as well but that only happens once in a blue moon. Did a lot of research and found out about the VTC actuator, so I decided to take a video and showed it to the mechanic down at the dealer and they said "we know about it and honda can't do anything about for the moment being until they can do more research and if they can create a new quieter VTC". Well i asked the guy what can be the long term effects on the motor, and he said it shouldn't affect the motor, i think it's bogus. I'm a mechanic myself and buying a brand new car that barely had miles on it and it this happens is not okay. I have about over 105k miles on mine since I daily it for work, still hear the grind everytime it gets cold and im hoping that nothing bad can happen. I suggest doing a valve adjustment when the time comes, that's one of the only things i can suggest to help prevent major damages on internal parts.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by turboturtle28
the mechanic down at the dealer and they said "we know about it and honda can't do anything about for the moment being until they can do more research and if they can create a new quieter VTC".
If you'd read the rest of this thread you'd have seen this post: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1362380

Old 03-19-2017, 03:01 AM
"Can't reproduce sound"

My car has been at Honda for days now. They couldn't hear the sound(I hear it almost every day) so a tech (who isn't 19) took it home over the weekend to see if in the morning or night time it will produce the sound. Trying not to lose faith in people. Hopefully in the end this all pans out.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
It took several days for my dealer to reproduce. Hang in there and hope for a cold morning!

es

Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by stembridge
It took several days for my dealer to reproduce. Hang in there and hope for a cold morning!

es
Still no noise heard apparently, and it's been there a while now. They said the tech didn't and won't take it home because the temperature variance won't make a difference. In reality every degree does. Each day I begin to feel more played. Hopefully they are good people who truly haven't heard it. Still, it is an unenjoyable customer experience to say the least.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:13 PM
VTC Actuator Fix

We have the same problem with our 2015 Honda Fit. Dropped it off at the shop and it was confirmed VTC Actuator issue. They are ordering the part and will be repairing it tomorrow. It is covered under PowerTrain per the dealership.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Had mine replaced (2015 GK), and the replacement is good. It occasionally makes a noise like a cross between a big zip-tie and a fine-toothed ratchet wrench, but doesn't make that impact-gun noise anymore.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Mine isn't under warranty anymore and it's a $1300+ fix at the dealer.

I ordered the parts online (~$300 for the actuator itself [$100], the high pressure fuel hose [$100], other smaller bits) and will be doing it at home instead. Will be posting a video tutorial on changing it sometime this month.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
By all accounts, I have this same startup noise now on my (new to me) 2009 5sp MT when its cold in the morning. Sigh...

Old 06-17-2017, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
By all accounts, I have this same startup noise now on my (new to me) 2009 5sp MT when its cold in the morning. Sigh...
09 does not have VTC, so it can't be that

Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
Ah, well then, more research is needed. Someone posted a video of his 2009 doing the same and wasn't sure what the noise was either, perhaps the starter not disengaging properly.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
That's odd, my '09 Fit did.

Quick Reply: VTC actuator rattle on a 2015?