3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

P219A Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:52 PM
P219A Code

The engine light came on, so I removed the hot battery cable and waited. It came back after 50 miles or so. Went to the dealer and the told me it is the P219A (throttle body) they were blaming it on the intake that I have and because it may have some oil on it, throttle body needs cleaning, or something is loose.

I have read that it might be the gas cap, it's cold, loose dip stick, needs cleaning, but on other makes of vehicles, nothing on a Honda. It was funny that for a service place that it had to use a cheap code reader and the lady was reading the code PA219, in which I tried to find and could not and wanted to get me in a service for $99. The manager was cool about it and did not charge me.

So I want to know if there is fix for this, what is causing it. Maybe the Throttle sensor going bad? Help!

Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Nothing to do with 'throttle sensor', whatever that may be.

In a very basic sense, the code means the four cylinders are not all contributing equally.....as measured through individual air/fuel ratio manipulation and response.

What year is the car, and how many miles on it?
Is this car still covered under warranty?

Old 02-17-2017, 05:21 AM
Its a 2016 and it has 26600 miles on it. They are trying t blame it on the AM intake and the oiled filter. I have noticed more knocking and chirping on the engine.

Last edited by atvfit16; 02-17-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
^^ That's a typical response when a dealer sees aftermarket parts.

Can't you put the stock stuff back on before bringing it in? (Clean the intake & throttle body first)

Heck, if you erased the codes (Have them read for free at AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc) and drove the car first for a few days with the stock parts on (more than 50 miles), then the dealer was correct.

Oil contamination on air intake sensors (either MAF or MAP) is a constant worry with oiled air filters, BTW, which is why I no longer use them.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by atvfit16
Its a 2016 and it has 26600 miles on it. They are trying t blame it on the AM intake and the oiled filter.
I can tell you from my recliner that the code issue has nothing to do with your air filter stuff....too bad your dealer wants to play that game before trying to figure out the actual problem.

So you get to play their game......As Carbuff suggested above, reinstall the stock parts, erase the codes, drive it until the code resets....then take it to the dealer. Again.

You are free to go to other Honda dealers too.

Also....you should check out "Magnuson-Moss warranty act" and learn your rights. The dealership cannot deny warranty coverage just because you stuck on aftermarket parts, unless and until they can prove your aftermarket part was the direct cause of the failure in question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
https://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guide...s/undermag.htm

========
Examples of your air filter setup being a direct cause of failure:

A) Excessive filter oiling and subsequent contamination as mentioned might be a direct cause of a MAF sensor problem (but a contaminated MAF sensor is extremely unlikely to be the cause of your fault code).

B) Air filter inlet is very close to the ground, you go through a deep puddle, and water gets sucked into the filter and intake causing severe engine damage. THAT would be a valid reason to deny warranty coverage.

My wildass guess.....it needs one or more fuel injectors, they are not delivering fuel equally.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Thank you guys this is great info. I greatly appreciate it! I will keep you posted.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:15 PM
So now it is in the shop after removing the AM intake and put back the OEM intake. The engine light went away after 78 miles, then came back after 138 miles. They pulled the same code and P240. So now they are going to have to probe it and figure if its the lifters, fuel injectors, Etc. I kinda blame it on the Made in Mexico, but that is a stretch. Other than that I am very disappointed on Honda products.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit car is assembled in Mexico and I could be wrong but I don't believe that the engines/transmissions are made there.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
The Fit car is assembled in Mexico and I could be wrong but I don't believe that the engines/transmissions are made there.
I seem to recall the transmissions being made in the Phillipines? No idea on the engines

Old 03-07-2017, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
P240.
Code number is incomplete. Gotta be at least 4 characters after the P. Do you know what it is?

My vote is still for an injector issue if the fault code is still P219A.

If new code was P0420 I think that is caused by the first problem.

I also think your disappointment should be with your local dealership service department more than Honda, as this should have been taken care of on the first visit without BS about your aftermarket parts.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Yes, the engine I believe it is somewhere else. The first code was P219A, then P0420 came on after 78 miles after reinstallin the OEM. Dealer cleared them all, then after 16 miles the P219A came back on. Even the service manager said it was very rare for that to show up.

I just remember when I got my car back from an oil change because I got one of those life time oil change that the engine started sounding more chirpy than before. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but just a bad, bad experience. I just hope that they don't stick to me.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
The first code was P219A, then P0420
Ok, if injectors(s) are delivering unequal quantities of fuel causing the P219A code as I suspect, then it is certainly possible that will cause the second code.

Right now I'd expect P0420 will stay gone once the P219A is correctly diagnosed and resolved.

I got my car back from an oil change because I got one of those life time oil change that the engine started sounding more chirpy than before.
Is the dealership the ones changing the oil? Do they have a fast lane oil change?

Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but
The high pressure injection pump does make a lot of noise on these new engines. Is yours unusual? I can't tell from here.

You could mention that the engine seems noisier than it used to (ever since the dealership changed the oil at xxxxxx miles) and ask them to double check it, or compare to an identical car on the lot while you are there.

I just hope that they don't stick to me.
It's under warranty.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Yes the dealership is the one changing the oil it and did tell them that after an oil change, it sounded different. Still under warranty.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Just Got error code P219A on 2015 EX-L

Just Got error code P219A on 2015 EX-L yesterday 49,000miles. The dealer said that it was either a fuel injector problem in cylinder 3 or 4. The tech said that it was barely out of spec. Don't know what that means. They cleared the code and it did not return while at dealer. Tech said trash may have caused the injector to have a problem.

As explained to me, It seems that the only way to fix this problem is if the error is repeatable. They have to switch the injectors around from one cylinder to another to find bad one. I have to wait until the fuel injector starts totaling failing not intermittent failing. that sucks.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:03 PM
It has been a week and it is still in the shop. I went there Thursday and they said that they were adjusting the valves and something about springs and the tech wanted for another day to make sure it is working properly???? Not sure is this a red flag or not?

Old 03-12-2017, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
It has been a week and it is still in the shop. I went there Thursday and they said that they were adjusting the valves and something about springs and the tech wanted for another day to make sure it is working properly???? Not sure is this a red flag or not?
You should know if it's actually fixed or not within about 200 miles?

Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Well got it back yesterday and they said that they had too adjust the valves/springs something to do with assemble............BUT Guess What!! at 113 miles the engine light came on again. Took it to AutoZone and same Code, but this time Bank 1......again they said that if I put the intake on again to make sure that I do not add lots of oil to it. I said that its new. Plus I have the OEM back on. Could I have a Lemon? Going Back again. Crap!

Old 03-22-2017, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
No, you don't have a lemon. You have a dealer who may not be putting the right person on the job.
Got rocket science?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
No, you don't have a lemon. You have a dealer who may not be putting the right person on the job.
Got rocket science?
LOL....yeah very correct.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:27 PM
more P219a error code

Well the p219a came back after an hour of driving. I also started to get a P0302 error too. I went back to the dealer and was told I had to replace all 4 of my injectors. It's going to take 4 days to get the parts in and cost 1200 dollars. It seems that there is information the dealer has gotten from Honda. There is a new part number for the injectors which requires a new fuel rail (ie new part number). I purchased one of the first fits ie June 2014 and I seem to get all the problems. I feel that this will end in a new recall. probably sometime next year when more cars get to about 40,000 miles. If your injectors go bad I suggest you go to NTSB and file a report. My car is starting to stumble and running like crape If I don't watch I'll get in a wreck. I'll just have to wait it out until parts come in. I can understand if a fuel injector fails at 48,000 miles it happens but all four. BS!!!!!! The last time a car company pulled this on me was GM. That's not a good company to be compared to. just venting

Quick Reply: P219A Code