3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

R/R D/S wiper blade

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
R/R D/S wiper blade

My driver's side wiper blade has had a non functioning area (smear?) in the midsection, directly in my field of vision since I first bought my Fit in 2015. Finally got around to replacing it today, combination of heavy rains here in Central Cali and remembering that Costco had some blade replacements while we were there today.

After inspecting the original retainer clip (never could see any defect in the original blade) I found something interesting, if ultimately inconsequential. It was deformed, maybe just enough to lack pressure right at the midsection.

Hope the pic illustrates well enough.

Attached Thumbnails R/R D/S wiper blade-2017-02-19-13.11.24.jpg  

Last edited by 4d3fect; 02-19-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
werd.. ive not had a factory blade mount go bad like dat..

Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, maybe it was just me, but no more wiper problems so all good.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 4d3fect
Yeah, maybe it was just me, but no more wiper problems so all good.
This car has the worst wipers I have ever seen, worse in performance and effectiveness than on my 63 C10 or 73 240Z even, and when I replaced my blades due to the shit-tastic performance, like you described, I didn't notice the deformed art like you show. New blades didn't do a single thing for the car though, guess you got lucky.

You got the Goodyear blades from Costco?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YourConfused
This car has the worst wipers I have ever seen, worse in performance and effectiveness than on my 63 C10 or 73 240Z even, and when I replaced my blades due to the shit-tastic performance, like you described, I didn't notice the deformed art like you show. New blades didn't do a single thing for the car though, guess you got lucky.

You got the Goodyear blades from Costco?
Yeah, Just happened to remember last I was there--we were having deluge after deluge for a few weeks, which helped jog the memory. it seems to do the job alright. There's still that odd bit of streak where the middle of the blade contacts the windshield surface, but I don't notice it after the car warms up. I figure next blade replacement cycle I'll go with one of the recommendations I've seen here.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Very Interesting as my relatively new 2016 has done two things....chattered and dragged...and smeared such as you describe.

I changed the blade (insert) OEM at my own expense and it did not help. But it was a cheap roll of the dice.

Just to be clear, because people use similar terms to describe everything.
You replaced the "blade" and by that you mean the whole blade assembly?

If it IS the actual blade assembly that is defective, I think Honda should replace it for free. Mine hasn't worked since day one.
And if they CAN work, I'd rather have OEM, because the wiper inserts are easy to get, and very easy and cheap to replace.

I really, really like this vehicle. But the wiper/blade quality has been it's worse defect.
I'd kind of like to show the dealership this thread, as I'm afraid they would look at the wipers and say they are fine.

I'm curious as to whether you also had problems with the blade dragging.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Blade assembly.

No dragging or chattering. Only that weird stripe dead center. Mostly gone now as mentioned upthread. And I don't want to come anywhere near the dealership, they're no longer necessary apart from recall servicing.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Blade assembly.

No dragging or chattering. Only that weird stripe dead center. Mostly gone now as mentioned upthread. And I don't want to come anywhere near the dealership, they're no longer necessary apart from recall servicing.
Well, I just head directly to the parts counter.
But...I can understand wanting to avoid the dealership.

I may be forced to change the entire blade assembly. And that may be better. But the inserts from Honda are so cheap, and easy to install, I wish I could get them to work with the OEM blade assembly.
But I am rapidly reaching the point where I just want "working". No dragging or smearing would be nice.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
I have the chatter and bounce in addition to the middle of the driver wiper not cleaning the windshield. I replaced it with a Bosch Icon, I think that is what it was, because I have those or the Goodyear assurance ones on 3 other cars and have always liked them. I saw zero improvement, so I assumed it was a bad design.

I just need to remember to look at the wiper blade to see if there is a deformed piece like you found.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Well, I just head directly to the parts counter.
But...I can understand wanting to avoid the dealership.

I may be forced to change the entire blade assembly. And that may be better. But the inserts from Honda are so cheap, and easy to install, I wish I could get them to work with the OEM blade assembly.
But I am rapidly reaching the point where I just want "working". No dragging or smearing would be nice.
Sounds like I have a grudge against the dealer, doesn't it? Not true, although I certainly begrudge the six plus hours I'll never get back for a transaction that really only needed an hour, tops, to complete.

/r

Old 03-02-2017, 05:46 PM
For clarity, have replacement wiper blades fixed the dragging/chattering issue for people? I have a 2mo. old 2016 Fit and the damn wipers drive me crazy.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
see post 7

Old 03-03-2017, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by amongmany
For clarity, have replacement wiper blades fixed the dragging/chattering issue for people? I have a 2mo. old 2016 Fit and the damn wipers drive me crazy.
With my problem.
Any yours.
And other reported problems.

I'm convinced Honda has a quality control problem with some of their wiper blade assemblies.

I don't mind buying whole new Blade assembly IF that is what it takes. But I also feel like if there is a defect in just some of the assemblies...Honda should replace them.

I would and will take mine apart, I'm curious if I'll find it bent in a similar manner.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
I'm assuming you guys don't do anything to your windshield like Rain-X or any kind of unusual cleaning products or anything -- is that correct? Do you live in extreme weather climates, where it's really hot or cold a lot, or maybe where there's a lot of moisture or it's always dry? I'm asking because I've never noticed any real problem with my wipers. When I noticed my original pair starting to go I did my research and eventually just got the inserts and they've been fine. I live outside da Windy City and we get all kinds of weather, but it's always in moderation. It would be a great experiment to find another owner that hasn't experienced these problems and swap wiper assemblies to see if the problem persists or shows up in the other car.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
No treatments. I live around SLO so no extreme weather apart from the recent spate of rainstorms. I'm assuming it's just "one of those things". Not enough outlay of moolah or time to get too worked up about; I'm otherwise satisfied with the car.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:17 AM
Can we use the windshield wiper from other Fit (2011) for 2016?

Old 03-04-2017, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
see post 7
Also see post 9

Old 03-04-2017, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
I'm assuming you guys don't do anything to your windshield like Rain-X or any kind of unusual cleaning products or anything -- is that correct? Do you live in extreme weather climates, where it's really hot or cold a lot, or maybe where there's a lot of moisture or it's always dry? I'm asking because I've never noticed any real problem with my wipers. When I noticed my original pair starting to go I did my research and eventually just got the inserts and they've been fine. I live outside da Windy City and we get all kinds of weather, but it's always in moderation. It would be a great experiment to find another owner that hasn't experienced these problems and swap wiper assemblies to see if the problem persists or shows up in the other car.
Nothing special done here, live in texas, bought the car in the spring when it was cool and kinda rainy, so going through seasons hasn't changed anything, just like going from oe washer fluid and blade to aftermarket fluid and blade. the pass side and rear wipers are still original and working fine. I think It's a weak spring on the drivers arm, coupled with it's large surface area which contributes to the issue.
I will be buying a different wiper blade, not just insert, soon though as it's rainy season and morning commutes in traffic can become dangerous as is.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
OK...so yesterday I finally just broke down and bought new wiper blade assemblies.
Bosch ICON...both driver and passenger.

Ironically, the day started out with it raining heavily. But right after I invested into the new blade assemblies and installed them? The clouds have parted, the sun has come out, and I haven't had the opportunity to really test them.

I hope they help. They were not cheap.
Unlike the OEM, I don't think the inserts are replaceable. Which means I still wish the OEM's worked, because the inserts are cheap and easily replaceable. BUT...I'm tired of noise, chatter and streaking so if new blades are what it takes? It's what it takes.

Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of the new "Beam" wiper blades?
They are sold as being an improvement. One piece...snow and ice can't build up...Has anyone ever really had a big problem with snow and ice build up on a regular wiper blade assembly?

Anyway, I never had a problem with the old type blades...so far these single beam wipers have been a pain.

As soon as I get some significant test time....I'll update with how I think the new blades are helping or not helping.

I kept the OEM blade assemblies "just in case".
I also did NOT notice any visible defect in the original OEM's.

UPDATE:
Early returns but a few days of rain. And IMO, the difference is HUGE. New Wiper Blade assemblies, no chatter, no dragging, even in light rain. I couldn't even really use the OEM wiper in light rain it would drag so bad.
Will have to see about the longevity of the results but early returns are promising.

Last edited by fitchet; 03-17-2017 at 01:30 AM. Reason: update:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
My driver's side wiper blade has had a non functioning area (smear?) in the midsection, directly in my field of vision since I first bought my Fit in 2015. Finally got around to replacing it today, combination of heavy rains here in Central Cali and remembering that Costco had some blade replacements while we were there today.

After inspecting the original retainer clip (never could see any defect in the original blade) I found something interesting, if ultimately inconsequential. It was deformed, maybe just enough to lack pressure right at the midsection.

Hope the pic illustrates well enough.
I had recently changed my wiper blades so I know that retaining clip is not supposed to be bent back like that. It's just plastic so not the strongest material. When removing the blade from the arm, you don't have to bend back the blade that far to depress the little lever. It looks like the blade was bent back too far and the retaining clip was deformed. Wish they would have made that of metal. Are 2nd gen blades the same way? This is my first Honda and Fit.

To remove the blade from the arm, first tilt the arm up. Then slightly tilt the blade away from the arm. Use your nail to depress the little lever and pull downward (toward the car) and that should loosen the blade from the arm. You might still need to wiggle it a bit but it should come loose.

Quick Reply: R/R D/S wiper blade