3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cost to Replace Splash Shield

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 02:38 AM
Cost to Replace Splash Shield

I'm thinking of having mine replaced because it is scratched in several areas before I learned to stay far away from curbs, etc.

Looking at parts diagrams, it appears very confusing about what must be changed. The problem is only at the front and I was quoted $93 for the part.

Called service dept to see if there would be a labor charge given that the shield must be removed to change oil. Got a quote for 1/2 hour labor since service rep said the dealer doesn't take the whole shield off to change oil.

They invited me to come back for a look-see to figure it out.

Anybody have one changed? Did dealer charge labor if service was combined with oil change?

Did dealer change all components of shield even if only the front was damaged?

Thanks

Last edited by Bob Levine; 02-24-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Bob, while I no longer have the Fit, I did have the opportunity to change my oil a few times. I can tell you that your dealer is telling you a lie when it comes to the shield and oil changes. If I recall correctly, the shield is mostly solid with maybe a few small air holes here and there and completely covers the front underside. To change the oil requires complete removal of the shield. It is held in place by 6 screws, 2 screw in fasteners, and 'hangs' on the bottom of the front bumper cover. Even if they claim an oil change can be done without removal, they'd still have to remove the 8 fasteners to allow the shield to 'hang' out of the way and if they went to that trouble, they'd simply take it all the way off. Find another dealer or if none exists in your area talk to the service manager at oil change time. Better yet, find someone with a set of ramps or a local mechanic. It's an easy DIY job. Make sure you pick up 2 new fasteners or the dealer replaces them where the front and rear shields meet. I really hate dealers trying to scam.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
oh and by the way, my reply was based on you replacing only the front shield and not the rear. There are 2 shields, they attach to each other via 2 fasteners. If you decide to get the work done, make sure whoever does it replaces the 2 fasteners that attach them together and make sure they are NEW. They are simply Honda clips, 91514-TG1-T01. The body of the clip goes through both shields and into some piece of the body. The screw in component simply 'expands' the body to 'capture' them together. While the screw in part is screwed in, it does not 'clamp down' tightly. Easy pressure on those clips. So many people have lost shields because these clips are used beyond their useful life. They run about $.40 each.

Last edited by Rooster; 02-24-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Rooster
oh and by the way, my reply was based on you replacing only the front shield and not the rear. There are 2 shields, they attach to each other via 2 fasteners. If you decide to get the work done, make sure whoever does it replaces the 2 fasteners that attach them together and make sure they are NEW. They are simply Honda clips, 91514-TG1-T01. The body of the clip goes through both shields and into some piece of the body. The screw in component simply 'expands' the body to 'capture' them together. While the screw in part is screwed in, it does not 'clamp down' tightly. Easy pressure on those clips. So many people have lost shields because these clips are used beyond their useful life. They run about $.40 each.
Thanks so much, you are a great help.

My dealer is honest and they did invite me to come down to be sure they know what's needed. The parts rep said he didn't think there would be a labor charge to only replace the front, which is all I need.

I might stop there today to have a tech take a look instead of a service writer.

Bob

Old 02-24-2017, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Partial disassembly of the splash shield? What? There's no way to do an oil change without removing the splash shield, if you remove the oil plug from the bottom. Maybe they have some vacuum device that sucks oil up from the filler cap, I don't know. There is no physical way you can partially remove the splash shield, without damaging the rear plastic expansion screws, and why would you even consider this. Save effort by not removing 2 screws, but damage the screws instead? Take the whole thing off.

The underbody plastic shield is black plastic. The Fit only has 5.5" of clearance, so no one will even notice. I'd leave it alone and spend your money on women, or whatever vice you desire. If you truly insist, you can repair it with some epoxy, but there's really no need, as no one will see it.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Partial disassembly of the splash shield? What? There's no way to do an oil change without removing the splash shield, if you remove the oil plug from the bottom. Maybe they have some vacuum device that sucks oil up from the filler cap, I don't know. There is no physical way you can partially remove the splash shield, without damaging the rear plastic expansion screws, and why would you even consider this. Save effort by not removing 2 screws, but damage the screws instead? Take the whole thing off.

The underbody plastic shield is black plastic. The Fit only has 5.5" of clearance, so no one will even notice. I'd leave it alone and spend your money on women, or whatever vice you desire. If you truly insist, you can repair it with some epoxy, but there's really no need, as no one will see it.
Thanks. The parts clerk said it might not go bad.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Went back to dealer.

There would be no labor charge since only front was scraped and the front part will be removed at every oil charge anyway..

In addition, tech checked shield thoroughly and said it was not damaged beyond cosmetic and it should not be replaced unless it gets cracked or drops off.

Nice to have an honest dealer.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:17 AM
Too much $$$

My splash shield is dragging as I go down the road. I called to make an appt today for my Service B and to get my shield checked out.
They told me it would be $368! 1/2 an hour labor and the part...
My SO said I can't get it fixed until I learn to not cut left turns so tight.
I think maybe I should find a local shop and see what they say.
What say you?

Old 08-30-2019, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Try a local shop.

My mid-tray came loose, and the dealer quoted $720 to replace. Local shop popped in new fasteners and charged me $40.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Riobha
My splash shield is dragging as I go down the road. I called to make an appt today for my Service B and to get my shield checked out.
They told me it would be $368! 1/2 an hour labor and the part...
My SO said I can't get it fixed until I learn to not cut left turns so tight.
I think maybe I should find a local shop and see what they say.
What say you?

search function and sticky threads, are your friend:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1435069

in case youre too lazy to click the actual thread, and do actual reading.... here ya go:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1434989

Originally Posted by wistlo
+1 on original post, very useful.

Our 2018 Fit EX dropped its splash shield while my wife was going through carpool pickup. No bumps or protrusions are on that route, so it seems like the shield just worked its connectors loose and came down. Fortunately our shield fell down around the corner from home and I was able to stuff the front lip back to get it into the driveway before the part was damaged or torn off. I hope I can keep this piece intact and never need to buy a replacement.

I put the car on jackstands and found the screws in front were missing completely, one of the rear plastic push pins was jarred loose, and the other was wobbly. The car has had one free oil change from the dealer, and I suspect they did not tighten or left out the front screws (figuring the plastic tabs would hold it), and they reused the plastic clamps.

I replaced the two aft push connectors and threaded a plastic tie through holes in the front to secure the panel until I can get replacement screws. I will leave the ties in as an extra measure of support. No one will be changing oil on this car now except me.

After 30 years of flapping loose trunk liners and underbody plastic on various Hondas, I am done with reusing those plastic push connectors. I bought these (now showing "unavailable" but others are available) for much less than Honda parts.

It does appear that the panel itself (No. 27 in the Honda parts diagrams) is not available directly but only as part of a larger assembly that includes fenderwell portions. Honda assembly part number ( 74110-T5R-A10 ), which is $141 online but also $120 to ship to my locale.

There are aftermarket panels sold by Wal Mart ($175), and Amazon ( $99.99 ).

This is a disappointment from Honda for its design. No love for the dealer, either, for what was probably shoddy work on putting the panel back after an oil change. I want the panel in place not only for aerodynamics, but also to keep road spray and grit out of the engine compartment.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:06 AM
Thx

Gee- Thanks for the warm welcome! I found this site by investigating just this subject...
I guess I had missed this one. BTW I found it on Amazon for under $70.

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
search function and sticky threads, are your friend:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1435069
in case youre too lazy to click the actual thread, and do actual reading.... here ya go:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1434989
Are you always nasty to new people?

Old 08-30-2019, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Riobha
Gee- Thanks for the warm welcome! I found this site by investigating just this subject...
I guess I had missed this one. BTW I found it on Amazon for under $70.

Are you always nasty to new people?

to single post count users, absolutely. most will come, ask questions (typically without utilizing search) and never come back / never say "thank you" once

grats on finding one for under $70

and, nice job NOT sharing that with the others

Old 08-30-2019, 02:36 PM
I'll be nice:
Amazon Amazon
for the product. I'm not sure it's the exact same as shown here:
74110-T5R-A00

Old 08-30-2019, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazu
I'll be nice: https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Splash.../dp/B07PFZ882C for the product. I'm not sure it's the exact same as shown here:
74110-T5R-A00

thanks jazu! I'll edit my post in the k.i.s.s thread to share w the rest