3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda Fit EX 2016 Upgrades - Stock headunit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Honda Fit EX 2016 Upgrades - Stock headunit

Hello all,

Been stalking this forum for a few years now here and there. Recently traded in my Honda Fit 08 Base (33k - 91k) for a Honda Fit EX 16 (4k). I decked out my 08 with all kinds of goodies to make it mine such as a Spoiler, sharkfin, Headunit replacement, speakers, powered-sub....
Now it's time to upgrade my Fit 2016 with goodies.

Like most people here, I am going to keep the stock headunit in the EX, to retain the Lanewatch and Trip Info screens... It actually pains me because when I bought it I figured Lanewatch would be something that could still be done by an aftermarket HU, noooope. So fine, I'll keep it.

<Small tangent start>
Pretty silly really, because this is 2017, and every year more car manufacturers are putting in touchscreen/double-din screens into their baser cars and integrating systems. That's good for them, and us (sometimes). But there will be a tipping point when these aftermarket manufacturers (such as Kenwood and Pioneer) will no longer have the demand that they once had for their products. These stock system are getting better, and if aftermaket manufacturers don't change the draw to their products, they are doomed. So they need to step up their game and start making units that can keep/implement stock features. Something like a option to select your vehicle in the options, and then a new icon/menu would appear on the headunit with some select factory settings/features to config. Obviously alot of R&D, but that's what we NEED FROM THEM! One thing I always missed on my stock HU was the Road Noise Compensation, it was so basic, and so missed by aftermarket HU's.
<Small tangent end>

ANYWAY. I have read alot of other poeple keep the stock head-unit in the 3rd generation FIT and their projects on how to make the audio better with it.
I am not an audiopile, so I am not looking for perfect sound. Just fix the lack of base. But upon my research into threads, various opinions have swayed me to put more money into more components and quality of components.

Heres my list of to buys for the audio system (Will by form Crutch or amazon depending on price diff):

SPEAKERS

Polk Audio DB6502 - Front Doors and Tweeters - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB6...io-DB6502.html

Polk Audio DB651 - Rear Doors - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB6...dio-db651.html

Seen multiple threads suggesting Polk's are the most neutral sounding. This is why I picked them at first, but now reconsidering a lower cost brand such as Kenwood KFC-P710PS or Infinity Primus PR6500cs because do I really need the extra 20 RMS if I won't be driving the Polk's to their full potential?

Which brings me to SOUND PROCESSOR and AMP.
This is where I am really getting stuck. Because it's more like I never needed or had these in my 08, as I had an aftermarket HU that I could simi-equalize with.
GuitarBass's AND ROTTBOY's threads really help me on this. But made me doubt my decisions on a processor and amp. GuitarBass started with a Audiocontrol LC7i, then later traded it in for a Audiocontrol LCQ-1 for more equalization control.
Then I found the Kicker FRONT ROW ( https://www.crutchfield.com/p_2062ZX...Front-Row.html ), and liked the idea of having a remote knob that can be ran.
So I am kinda stuck between the three.

And the AMP I am going thinking about the Alpine KTP-445U - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP...ower-Pack.html

Finally the BASS. Which is easy, I grabbed my old powered base from my old Fit before it got traded. So I already have one that I think fits my fit needs. :P

So looking for suggestions or input on if I really need an AMP, and if I need to spend big bucks on an equalizer if I am not an audiopile. If I am spending money on products I will barley notice difference in everyday use.

Thanks!

EDIT:
I just found this thread where Jp123 was able to get the 4100nex working with lanewatch. Now I have mixed emotions on if I want to go that route and do an aftermarket HU afterall. Maybe I will wait for the 2018 NEX's that may have more support like like Bassguitarist1985 said.

Last edited by fizzy99; 02-26-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Append
Old 02-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
polks run quite well with a weak factory amp. if u have the means to swap HU, i suggest u do da NEX first as pioneers have some of da best EQ's on their HU's. my GE had factory speakers with a pioneer HU and it sounded good enough for me.

considering u said ure not an audiophile and no where did u talk about sound deadening.. unless i skipped it somewhere..

Old 02-27-2017, 10:11 AM
If at the very least, keep the OEM head unit for now, do the speakers, amps and interface. I'm expecting 2018 will bring a slight redesign refresh to the platform.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:17 AM
Took the plunge. Bought the audio components. Keeping stock headunit for a year or two. Maybe i'll be bored of it by then.

Polk Audio DB6502/DB651 for the Front/Rear doors from Crutchfield. No price difference anywhere else.

Kicker Front Row (Plus 2x kicker KISLOC to LOC to the RCA's) - Bought the FRONT ROW from ebay. $60 off from normal retail. It's new, store seems solid. Time will tell if I get ebay duped. :P

Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack - Got form Amazon, was cheaper than crutchfield.

Bassguitarist1985; I also bought the two Metra harness you suggested in your HU upgrade thread, to avoid cutting the stock harness. If you happen to have any more pictures or diagrams that isn't in that thread, could you please PM me them? Please and thank you!

Old 02-28-2017, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fizzy99

Bassguitarist1985; I also bought the two Metra harness you suggested in your HU upgrade thread, to avoid cutting the stock harness. If you happen to have any more pictures or diagrams that isn't in that thread, could you please PM me them? Please and thank you!
Or post here too since i'm wanting to do a similar setup.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by wanako
Or post here too since i'm wanting to do a similar setup.
I'll post here later since trading in my 2015 for my 2017, I havent reinstalled my stereo components yet, so you are in luck, they are outside of the car at the moment till the snow is gone.

Exactly what pictures do you need to see? I can remove the tape bundling the wires (i need to retape it anyway) and show you. Let me know.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Bassguitarist1985:
Got my wires today.
Attempting to decipher what you did in your photos here .

The Female end is the end that goes to the headunit.
I have separated the ones to use, using your first picture.
I have labeled all channels, 12v's, then just jotted down the description of remaining 4 pins you listed here .

So sorry to be a bit naïve, but what exactly will the male harness end be connecting to?
From the male end, what wires are you connecting to the female end?
And whats diverting down to your molex on that right side? (Because the left side molex is out to speakers, right?)

Thanks!~

EDIT: Some reason missed your video, watching that now and will post again once I process.

Last edited by fizzy99; 03-02-2017 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Append
Old 03-02-2017, 11:58 PM
All makes since now.
On the male end, I will need to move one pin over, and add 2 more for steering.

Last edited by fizzy99; 03-03-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Append
Old 03-04-2017, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
So now that you have this all sorted, when are you coming over to do my car? lol

Old 03-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by fizzy99
All makes since now.
On the male end, I will need to move one pin over, and add 2 more for steering.
​​​​​​
Yes, do you still need the pictures of the harness?

Old 03-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Got all the parts. Just waiting for a donor harness for the steering pins.
Will start install next week. Will take pictures.
Bassguitarist1985, I should be good. All your posts helped me alot. Thanks.

This week I shall be fighting the honda dealership where I got the car, attempting to get some free all-weather floor mats, and a cargo cover for my troubles (had those things in my 2008 fit when I traded it in).
Moon roof rubber liner has rips/holes in it. Driver side window motor seems like it's about to die (really sluggish). Having backup cam software issues (showed this in another post). They forgot to give me tire stem caps when they changed out the tires. And overall a half-a** job when it came to cleaning the interior and exterior. Seems like they just vacuumed and wet-wiped. All small things that should be be fixable under warranty, but worth bi*chin to see if I can get some free swag to shut me up and go away.

Anyway, here's what I got: