3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

A/C doesn't seem cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by tmasazo
So, was up around 90 today and the car never got cool inside. Had the recirculation turned on but didn't help at all. My 96 civic coupe that I just gave up was slow to cool but would get cold inside where today my new fit was just not performing.

Anyone else run into issues?
Nope. Mine is real cold here in AZ. It was 109 yesterday, and had to turn it down. It was too cold.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I have a 2009 Honda Fit. Never had an issue with A/C until I went on trip from Dallas to Galveston Texas. I have the ceramic tint (works great by the way). The A/C was working fine on into the trip. Days are about 90 degrees. Blower blowing very hard and cold air at the start but into the trip the blower is not blowing as cold or very strong, then pretty much nothing. I turn it off and lower the windows for about 30 minutes and turn back on the A/C and it's like brand new blowing very hard and very cold then about an hour later the same thing happens. What could be causing this.

Dan in Texas

Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gregg
The A/C system on all Fits are undersized.
I live in Florida, and when I bought my 08, on hot and bright summer days, it never really got cool enough inside to suit me.
Window tinting really helped, as it does cut the thermal load into the passenger cabin.
The Fit does have a very large window area to interior volume ratio.
Since getting the windows tinted, I'm OK with the cooling capacity of the A/C system, but I wish it was a bit larger.
Even after getting the window tinting, it still does take awhile to cool the cabin down, if the car has been sitting out in the sun for any amount of time.
I was hoping that Honda would have gotten the message by now, and placed a bit larger system into its Gen 3 Fit, but that appears not to have happened.
Gregg
Originally Posted by SR45
Black interior with tinting, outside temp is between 91, and 93 and my air is cool to me, but no where near "ICE COLD" as xStitchx says his Fit is. Of course ice cold could have a different meaning to him over what I think ice cold is. Ice Cold to me means I would need a jacket inside the car...

Cool for my car is just that, cool, and needs a bit of time to get to that feeling when sitting outside in the Sun, but not really cool or anywhere near cold.

I can agree with the A/C system being weak from owning 2 GD3s. My first one I got back was in 06 and this one that I bought this year used I do seem to remember my first one having weak a/c. My windows are tinted and that helps a lot. It does get cold enough to be comfortable. Before we go out I turn the car on put all windows down with a/c running, so it cools the inside heat then put the windows back up that my trick from getting into a hot box. It hot in Florida!!!

Old 07-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by tmasazo
Well lucky for me I worked at the Honda I bought my car from and all have friends in service, I just didn't want to take it in for a null reason. I'm going to test the inlet and outlet this weekend with George's instructions
Tmasazo,

Did you get a chance to try this out over the weekend??

I bought a Red EX-CVT and I strongly believe there is an issue with my AC system or the AC system is very underpowered? I had to go back to the dealership this past Saturday becuase they had forgotten to give me my wheel locks, but while I was there I had told them about the issue with the AC. They service guy grabbed a thermometer and the lowest it got was about 46 degrees F. I live in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois with our humidity averaging around 70%, so according to a previous post I should see a reading of anywhere from 22-32 degrees F. Two service people tried to tell me that it was freezing cold, when in reality it's not. In my opinion it's cool at best, not cold or definitely not ice cold like some of you have mentioned. That day the service tech who specializes in cooling/heating symtems wasn't there, so I made an appointment for this upcoming Saturday. I love my car and so far this is the biggest issue that I've personally come across on. I would even go as far as saying, for some people that live in hot especially humid areas, this could be a deal breaker. So make sure you test the AC before you purchase the car.

On another note, let's assume the tech tells me my AC is fine, even though it isn't, what should I do then? Call coorporate and tell them exactly what?

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Duro1990
I should see a reading of anywhere from 22-32 degrees F.
You should never see a reading below freezing (32F) at the outlet because if if the evaporator were below freezing it would ice up in higher humidity situations. Air flow would drop markedly until the AC was allowed to defrost.

At the lower end of the ambient temperature test range (77F) and at 70% humidity the lowest outlet temperature you should see is 45F and a temp of 55F would still be acceptable.

Older auto A/C systems actually had a "desert" setting to allow colder outlet temperatures in low humidity situations, but this resulted in too many complaints from people who couldn't follow instructions so it was eliminated.

As far as what to do if the dealer doesn't satisfy you on a warranty claim, contact Honda corporate customer service. As you go through the process with the dealer make sure that you take note of all the people who you talked to and what they said.

The fact that you are keeping track of this information will make them much less likely to play games.

If you still don't get satisfaction you have specific information to pass on to the corporate people.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 07-21-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:46 PM
45F to 54F is that range specific to just the 2015 Fit or most cars in general? I used to drive a 1999 Cavalier and that thing would shoot out ice cold air like there was no tomorrow, it's not even close to this new 2015 Fit. Assuming that's the coldest it would shoot out, is there anything I could do to make my system colder. IE: Better coolant, or what about upgrading or replacing the AC system, would that be too expensive or just not practical?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 PM
45F to 54F is that range specific to just the 2015 Fit or most cars in general?
That's for cars in general at 77F, 70% humidity ambient conditions. If the humidity is lower the outlet temperatures will be lower.

One problem with modern AC systems is that older systems shot out really cold air in a way that was noticeable. When you had 35F air hitting you on the forehead giving you an ice-cream headache you would say "wow, this AC is great!" even if other parts of your body were cooking.

Modern systems spread the effect out more which means that they cool the entire interior better. Better for comfort, but unfortunately it gives the impression of weakness for people used to the old "Arctic blast."

Old 07-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
When you had 35F air hitting you on the forehead giving you an ice-cream headache you would say "wow, this AC is great!" even if other parts of your body were cooking.
haha!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:26 AM
I pulled out of the garage today with AC and it was comfortable. But after going to Walmart for an hour when I left it was hot with it on. There was a lot of heat coming from the sunroof. I put my hand on the sunroof cover and it was pretty warm. I think the cover isn't well insulated and allows a lot of heat to come through. Maybe the LX guys might have a better luck. BTW my car is not tinted and I didn't have the windshield shades on when it was parked.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by SHIBA
I pulled out of the garage today with AC and it was comfortable. But after going to Walmart for an hour when I left it was hot with it on. There was a lot of heat coming from the sunroof. I put my hand on the sunroof cover and it was pretty warm. I think the cover isn't well insulated and allows a lot of heat to come through. Maybe the LX guys might have a better luck. BTW my car is not tinted and I didn't have the windshield shades on when it was parked.
Hello,

My car also does not have tinted windows which I know will help keep the sun out a bit. What if anything will you do to try and fix this issue?? I am very dissapointed in the performance of the AC system.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Hello,

My car also does not have tinted windows which I know will help keep the sun out a bit. What if anything will you do to try and fix this issue?? I am very dissapointed in the performance of the AC system.
118 degrees outside Phoenix today. Turned cold fast and kept the fan on #2. Stayed cold

Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 AM
All generation fits have had more or less weak AC systems because Honda tends to tune them for efficiency.

The reason some people find them weak and some people find them strong or adequate probably has to do with yield variation in the thermistor resistance values(the temperature sensor in your evaporator core).

There is a mod on the forum that applies to all gen fits which would allow you to "trick" the computer into blowing colder air. Anyone with basic soldering skills could do this mod for under 20 bucks.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...mperature.html

Last edited by Yosemite; 07-24-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Tested mine out both in the morning at 83 degrees, and afternoon at about 94 degrees here in florida. Morning crank up of the air, it cooled rather well, and fast, so no complaints. Afternoon, sun, and humidity strong, the air had to work much harder to get it cooled, took longer (duh), and if on a longer ride, it did well, not on a short one however. Overall, its OK, but my 2013 Civic was better.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 AM
If you're traveling with the Econ button pushed in, it will adjust the AC for best fuel economy. Just read that a few days ago in the owners manual.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Yosemite
All generation fits have had more or less weak AC systems because Honda tends to tune them for efficiency.

The reason some people find them weak and some people find them strong or adequate probably has to do with yield variation in the thermistor resistance values(the temperature sensor in your evaporator core).

There is a mod on the forum that applies to all gen fits which would allow you to "trick" the computer into blowing colder air. Anyone with basic soldering skills could do this mod for under 20 bucks.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...mperature.html
Hmmm that is very interesting and seems like it could do the trick. No one in that old forum has posted in over two years. I wonder if anyone has tried this out on the new 2015 Fits. So I did find that the AC is tuned for fuel economy that's why it will blow the air only so cold even though in other cars it will get the air to blow even colder if needed especally on hot summer days were temps get in the 90+s

Will someone be brave enough to try this mod out and possibly make me solid device also which I will be willing to pay for? Let me know.

Originally Posted by Zute
If you're traveling with the Econ button pushed in, it will adjust the AC for best fuel economy. Just read that a few days ago in the owners manual.
When you say "adjust" I take that as the air won't be as cold with the Econ button pressed?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
No, I haven't had a chance to test. I need to go buy a voltmeter with the thermometer option.

I did get tint which helped a lot but it just does NOT get cold at all inside on hot days it gets just barely comfortable. I've had to keep a towel in the car for hot days so sweat doesn't soak into the interior.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Hmmm that is very interesting and seems like it could do the trick. No one in that old forum has posted in over two years. I wonder if anyone has tried this out on the new 2015 Fits. So I did find that the AC is tuned for fuel economy that's why it will blow the air only so cold even though in other cars it will get the air to blow even colder if needed especally on hot summer days were temps get in the 90+s

Will someone be brave enough to try this mod out and possibly make me solid device also which I will be willing to pay for? Let me know.

When you say "adjust" I take that as the air won't be as cold with the Econ button pressed?

I've recently done that on my GE fit and it made a huge difference, so I can definitely vouch for this mod. The trick is to have two 100k potentiometers in series rather than the one 100k resistor with a 100k pot. Because I ended up having to dial down lower than he did in his GD. Results vary because there is a seemingly wide tolerance of thermistor resistance ranges coming out of the factory. That's why some people are having issues while others aren't. It's been a common issue for all fits.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
What this mod is doing is lowering the temperature at the evaporator where the compressor is shut down. Most vehicles shut down around 45 degrees at the AC vent and 5 oor soo lower at the evaporator.

I did a similar mod thermistor to my Chevy Colorado only I simply soldered a resistor in parallel with the existing thermistor. I looked at what others posted on Colorado AC mods and decided to try a 180 k resistor. That value dropped my lowest vent temperature to 39 degrees and I was happy with that. So I never tried another value. I figure 39 degree at the center vent is equal to about 34 or 35 at the evaporator which is just above the freeze up point. That mod has been on that truck for 7 years.

This mod will only help if your AC is charged correctly and is capable of going that low. The easy way to see what the cut off temp of the existing thermistor is, is to put a $10.00 digital meat thermometer in your vent and watch it for a few days under different conditions. Note the lowest temperature it ever reaches. That should be the low temperature cutoff point. I'm guessing it will be in the 45 degree range. This mod will drop the low temp cut off by a few degrees depending on the value of the resistor used. I see no reason to turn the mod off an on since the computer will do that any way by how you set the AC controls.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:53 AM
Some have measured in the 50s and I bet that's what's happening here to some people. Can't know until they hold up a thermometer though.

I still advocate using a pot or two though, just because there seems to be so much variation in thermistor yields (based on the range of reports were getting here).

The switch is useful for the reasons mentioned by polaski.

Agree, get the charge level tested first by the dealership(who should do it for free if you're having real issues with a brand new car). And if they say it's "within spec", this mod would be a perfect solution if you're still finding it weak.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by n9cv
What this mod is doing is lowering the temperature at the evaporator where the compressor is shut down. Most vehicles shut down around 45 degrees at the AC vent and 5 oor soo lower at the evaporator.

I did a similar mod thermistor to my Chevy Colorado only I simply soldered a resistor in parallel with the existing thermistor. I looked at what others posted on Colorado AC mods and decided to try a 180 k resistor. That value dropped my lowest vent temperature to 39 degrees and I was happy with that. So I never tried another value. I figure 39 degree at the center vent is equal to about 34 or 35 at the evaporator which is just above the freeze up point. That mod has been on that truck for 7 years.

This mod will only help if your AC is charged correctly and is capable of going that low. The easy way to see what the cut off temp of the existing thermistor is, is to put a $10.00 digital meat thermometer in your vent and watch it for a few days under different conditions. Note the lowest temperature it ever reaches. That should be the low temperature cutoff point. I'm guessing it will be in the 45 degree range. This mod will drop the low temp cut off by a few degrees depending on the value of the resistor used. I see no reason to turn the mod off an on since the computer will do that any way by how you set the AC controls.
Can you post pictures of your set up? I already tried the meat thermometer in the vent and you are right that it did reach only to 46 degrees F. I do want to try this mod out, but I would rather wait for someone else to try it so they can let me know if it works.

Quick Reply: A/C doesn't seem cold