3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
So you are saying the whole car is not put together in Mexico. The engine and tranny is shipped there already assembled, only to be installed? The only issues to be concerned about is the hardware, which is put together in Mexico?

I ask because I don't know.
Took out my map light assembly and dome light assembly (to wire in LEDs). They were stamped "...Mexico." I think the headlight assemblies were too. The map light and dome light looked flawlessly constructed.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
My HVAC temperature knob started working incorrectly before I hit 450 miles. First it would grab at various points along its travel. Now it has stopped grabbing, and instead it does not go all the way to the left. Dropped the glove box and noticed that the nylon thingy at the far end of the cable doesn't rotate all the way to the left.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:21 PM
body alignment

The body panel alignment on my '15 EXL is not even, it's not terrible, but it isn't perfect like my last honda (a '97 crv), or even as good as my last car, a 2013 ford focus. Since I am only on my second tank of gas I am still getting used to the car.
The only other quirk I have had is a call dropped off bluetooth right after answering, causing me to have to pick up the phone which could be $$$ is a cop sees it.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Man the quality doesnt seem to be too good...

Old 11-18-2015, 05:03 PM
Just documenting my experience so far.

I purchased my '15 Fit to replace my totaled '14 Fiesta. My family has been buying cars from Honda for over 20 years now completely problem free (outside of the occasional recall) and convinced me to give Honda a try.

My Fit now has a little over 3400km on it since I purchased it in mid August. I love the car, but I have the same 'fit and finish' problems that everyone else seems to have despite being a later produced '15.

My car currently has:
  • sagging rear guards above the rear wheels(?)
  • BAD dashboard alignment on the drivers side, similar to what others have posted here
  • Slightly sagging front bumper
  • Crappy paint, scratches easily.

My '14 Fiesta was a first year redesign as well and outside of a leaking a/c and peeling cupholder, I never had any real issues with it at 56,000km. At least Ford fixed these two problems fast and free. Really disappointed with Honda right now, it doesn't sound like I'll get these problems fixed. Does not sound like any of you have either.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by MotoFrost
Just documenting my experience so far.

My car currently has:
  • sagging rear guards above the rear wheels(?)
  • BAD dashboard alignment on the drivers side, similar to what others have posted here
  • Slightly sagging front bumper
  • Crappy paint, scratches easily.
Mine has 12000 KM's on it now and I have not experienced any fit and finish problems whatsoever so far (that I can tell). I love the car more than any other I have driven yet and that includes a few Japanese sport coupes (all were new). The manual transmission/motor combination on this car is really as close to perfection as one can hope for. One thing I fully agree on is how cheap the paint and body panels are. I have never had a car were the body panels flex so easily. The paint is more damaged than my previous car after 4 years (a Toyota). I take care of the car religiously but the paint job is ridiculous. It hasn't even been through a Canadian winter yet ! What will the car look like in 4-5 years, I don't even want to know. Apart from the paint though, I really can't complain.

Just curious, what do you mean by bad dashboard alignment ?

Old 11-18-2015, 10:39 PM
I totally have to agree on the paint and easily flexed/dented body panels. My car came out of the factory with a paint blemish on the driver door. Honda offered to fix it, but I declined for fear the re-paint might look even worse.

And I have dented the roof pillars just by leaning on them (spend $477 to have that repaired), and I lightly bumped the rear quarter panel with my knee and it dented. I'm almost afraid to wax the car for fear I might dent it just from the pressure of removing the wax. I even avoid drive thru car washes for the same reason.

Also, the floor "carpeting" is a joke. It's the cheapest that I've ever seen in a car. And my driver seat, at 15K miles, is already showing wear. And I take really good care of the interior, even Scotchguarded it when new.

However, fuel economy is stellar (stop-in-go, 45 minute commute, and I still average 38-40 mpg)! This I definitely appreciate. And the little 1.5L engine can really move. I never feel at a loss for power.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by mikeDF
Mine has 12000 KM's on it now and I have not experienced any fit and finish problems whatsoever so far (that I can tell). I love the car more than any other I have driven yet and that includes a few Japanese sport coupes (all were new). The manual transmission/motor combination on this car is really as close to perfection as one can hope for. One thing I fully agree on is how cheap the paint and body panels are. I have never had a car were the body panels flex so easily. The paint is more damaged than my previous car after 4 years (a Toyota). I take care of the car religiously but the paint job is ridiculous. It hasn't even been through a Canadian winter yet ! What will the car look like in 4-5 years, I don't even want to know. Apart from the paint though, I really can't complain.

Just curious, what do you mean by bad dashboard alignment ?
Here are some pictures from my last thread.

Fit problems - Album on Imgur

Basically, there is a panel next to the driver's side blind sport window that is not flush with the rest of the dashboard panels. I am not sure what the actual name of this piece is called, but it seems like my dealer can't figure it out either.

I can live with the micro scratches on the paint, I just want the bumper/dashboard/rear wheel liner materials fixed.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MotoFrost
I just want the bumper/dashboard/rear wheel liner materials fixed.
I was able to get the wheel liner replaced in warranty because mine was sagging down. I framed it as a safety issue telling them once it snows and it gets caught in the spinning wheels it could be catastrophic. I'm working the front bumper trying the same tactic. Just waiting to schedule with the honda body shop, and approved by honda usa already.

If you don't get traction with the dealership try 18009991009. That's honda customer service directly. They've admitted they've had numerous reports on the front bumper and I feel like they are dragging their feet on a fix.

The dash panel on mine isn't completely flush, but doesn't worry me as much.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I was able to get the wheel liner replaced in warranty because mine was sagging down. I framed it as a safety issue telling them once it snows and it gets caught in the spinning wheels it could be catastrophic. I'm working the front bumper trying the same tactic. Just waiting to schedule with the honda body shop, and approved by honda usa already.

If you don't get traction with the dealership try 18009991009. That's honda customer service directly. They've admitted they've had numerous reports on the front bumper and I feel like they are dragging their feet on a fix.

The dash panel on mine isn't completely flush, but doesn't worry me as much.

Good luck!
Thanks!

I actually called yesterday and the rep denied that my issues are common, said he's never heard of these issues with my particular car. He basically politely told me to go pound some dirt and take the issues up with the dealer directly. I wasn't even rude with the guy, but maybe I need to be next time I call.

I'll try telling them that the liner is safety issue today when I go into the dealer, hopefully that gets it done.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
They tried to pass me off as well but then I said, is this is something I need to report to NHTSA? That seemed to change the perception. I framed it as how many times does the front bumper bounce up and down every mile? How long before the mounts fail and I'm dragging the front bumper at 70 mph? On mine, I can close the font bumper gap by lifting the bumper and showed the dealership service advisers. They compared to a fit on the lot and saw the difference.

The dealership took my side, but said they couldn't do anything unless honda corporate approves. It's been a few months but I'm not letting this slide. Be persistent. You paid a lot of money for this vehicle and it shouldn't have these defects. Don't accept no and if you need to, ask to speak to their manager.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is perfect. Coil recall only. 8K miles.