3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Old 07-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Quality Issues with new Fit

Hi all, I'll start off by saying this was my experience, and if you had a different one, good for you. I haven't driven a Honda since my early 2000's S2000 (which was so bad it made me run from Honda for a decade), and I've pretty much only driven German since. So please understand my perspective.

The buying experience was somewhat pleasant. I drove 160 miles one way in pursuit of a White EX-L with no navigation. They gave me a nice deal, threw in some goodies. Unfortunately at the same time the car had some pre-existing damage, scratches, etc, and it was darker by the time I arrived.
I was able to catch a few things, paint missing from the bumper, a scratch on the B pillar. I was told at the time, the dealership was unable to fix the issues because they didn't have the parts, etc, and they would 1) order the part to fix the B Pillar and order touch up paint, and 2) they would arrange to have a dealership near where I live do the repair (160 miles north of dealership where I bought it)

Fast forward a couple weeks.
I was told that I could not take the vehicle to another dealership to fix, as it was a quality issue, not a warranty issue. That means I was required to drive 160 miles south, drop it off for a day, and then drive it back.

My work schedule is tight, so yesterday I took the day off work and made the drive. I was assured they could do the repair in one day.

I arrived down south, they took the car. Now over the past couple of weeks I noticed several things I'll list here:
1) the scratch on the B pillar

2) missing paint on the bumper (Sorry no picture)
3) long scratches on the front left headlight

4) rear passenger door did not align properly (jutted out 1.5mm)

This is post-fix. Hard to see but if you run your hand over it theres a definite drop.
5) all door weather seals were installed improperly (one fell off)

again, post fix, but now there's warping.
6) paint issues on the rear hatch, streak marks do not come off even after clay/machine polish. The streaks are underneath the clear coat. Also tons of little places with touch up paint on it already.

Middle of the rear hatch (Green towel is covering license plate

Driver side hatch

7) the rear driver side door scrapes against the driver side door when opened, and nicked off the paint in the lower corner

Door Closed

Rear door open

So I got to the dealership, told them of these issues, and found out
1) they didnt order the part to fix the B pillar
2) they DID have the touch up paint
3) I didn't report the scratches early enough, so thats a no go, even though it looks like somebody took a xacto knife and drew several lines on it.
4) they tried to tell me the door is supposed to stick out by design to reduce wind noise. The look on my face made them agree to try to realign it. They actually said "each panel is designed to stick out further than the one in front so its more aerodynamic". Yes. Not 1.5mm out.
5) I had already pulled off and put the weather seals back myself, so there really wasn't anything for them to do. I assumed they wouldn't give me new seals or a new headliner to get rid of all the buckling and warping
6) They said the paint on the rear is normal
7) The rear driver door is supposed to do that (scrape itself against the corner of the driver door)

Now I don't mean to bitch or anything, but I pretty much ended up driving 320 miles yesterday for some touch-up paint and a door realignment (which they didnt do very well, it still juts out about 1 mm). And guess what THEY ARE GOING TO ARRANGE TO HAVE THE WORK DONE FOR THE B PILLAR AT A CLOSER DEALERSHIP. I just about went haywire.

I come from German cars, like I said earlier. I have never had these issues with Mercedes and BMW. But wait, this car is a difference price class! I have never had this issue with the three VW's I've had in the last decade. My 2009 Rabbit (MSRP 17k) had zero of these issues. I paid 20k for this car and I guess I was expecting better. The paint streaks (there are about 6 vertical paint streaks that go all the way down the rear hatch) will bug me forever, and I tried to polish it out, and I detail as a hobby.
I am not really sure what to do about the door. Clearances look fine until you open the door, and then it very clearly makes contact. The headlight looks crappy.

Overall I am just not impressed, not satisfied, and what I was hoping would be a 5+ year vehicle is quickly looking to be a "sell before the warranty runs out".

The Honda people were nice, but seemed reluctant to do anything "quality" related instead of "warranty". I am not used to this level of service. I did not realize when I was given a free rental for the day that I would have to pay for fuel usage.

One last note, when picking up the car (which was freshly washed about 2 days prior), the car was covered with spots of blue liquid, I don't know what it was. Coolant, or winshield fluid. The car was horribly dirty with oil and fingerprints all over it (no free car wash after? really? Not that I want them wash the car, but they could have offered, or just not gotten my car so dirty). We also noticed the TPMS light was on after we gave it to them.

Sorry. Last thing really. On the drive home, after filling up the tires with air (who knew a 3 week old car needed air in the tires), I swiveled the driver side sun visor over to block the sun. Then it fell off. Literally fell off from the ceiling. I was so mad over the whole experience I drove home, washed the car again, parked it in the garage, and escaped to my SLK. I will drive that for a few days despite gas to cool off.

Sorry for the really long rant, but I want people to know mainly what to look for before you buy. Check everything. EVERYTHING. Assume nothing. I assume I would get a baseline level of service, honesty, and quality with a new car, but I assumed wrong.

* I obscured and did not mention the dealership because I am still pending things getting fixed. I also don't know if this level of service is considered standard Honda service and Honda quality, so I didn't feel a need to call them out. Yet.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:10 PM

I am sorry to laugh at your misfortune, that is just terrible.

To be fair to Honda my built in Japan 2010 has none of those problems with 100k miles. I think you just happened to come back when Honda just opened a new plant in Mexico with new workers on a newly designed car.

There will be no QC problems they said. It'll be fun they said.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 PM
That is awful. Not up to Honda standards at all. If they don't fix everything let them know you will have to file a complaint with Honda and with the BBB. Just unacceptable, a new car should be in working condition and should not have major flaws like that.

My experience is that my Fit did come with scratched paint on the spoiler area. The dealer discovered this when I was on my way to buy and they peeled the protective plastic off. They called and disclosed it to me. They are setting me up with a certified Honda body repair place, hopefully closer to where I live than the dealership which is an hour away.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
I just traded in my 2011 Audi A4 for a EX-6MT Fit last night, and started noticing the quality differences I didn't initially notice during my test drive.

Thankfully, no QC issues with fitment (that I've noticed yet), but missing all the luxuries I used to have is a little annoying. Makes me wish I splurged a little and got a VW GTI instead. But, considering I don't drive much anymore, I digress. Fit will have to do for now.

Oh, and to add - I did notice LOTS of swirl marks all throughout the paint. Also, they did not fully remove all the glue from the exterior of the car where it was originally wrapped. There is also a rock chip on the front already where the towhook cover is. Is Honda paint known to be soft/brittle?

Old 07-22-2014, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
What vin range is your car? Sorry for the misfortune, don't let them give you the run around. Are the white orchid pearls having swirls/flaws in the paint?

Old 07-22-2014, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Is Honda paint known to be soft/brittle?
There were rumors of paint defects, here on FitForum. Rumors that it was the reason for missing the announced release date.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:10 PM
I believe I am in the 10,000 range.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Ouch I stopped by at the honda dealer a few times from april to june asking where the new Fits were and they said the delay was due to quality control problems from their new plant in Mexico. They said some cars arrived with dents and misaligned parts. I guess they weren't lying. I wish you the best of luck getting all these issues resolved!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Best wishes getting these problems fixed!!
Be sure to contact Honda Corporate if your dealer can not resolve your quality control issues. Manufacturing the Fit in Mexico is a major move for Honda and they would not want their reputation scarred.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by sooznd
Best wishes getting these problems fixed!!
Be sure to contact Honda Corporate if your dealer can not resolve your quality control issues. Manufacturing the Fit in Mexico is a major move for Honda and they would not want their reputation scarred.

I have been driving a 2000 Grand Am for last few years..I will take the quailty of a Honda over GM any day of the year.....just got a new 15 RED EX....

Old 07-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience and sorry to hear of all the problems. I will definitely need to test drive and thoroughly check the particular vehicle I'm purchasing before putting any money down or signing anything. I suppose that should be standard procedure for any new vehicle purchase, but sometimes it's easy to get swept away in all the excitement and pressure of the car buying process...

Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, that's terrible! Thanks for sharing your painful experience. It definitely gives the rest of us some things to make sure we look for before taking delivery! I really hope yours is the exception and not the norm. And I really, really hate to hear that the dealer isn't making more of an effort to solve the problems with a brand new vehicle. I agree with someone else who said you might have to call a regional or corporate office and see if they can help. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Houser
I have been driving a 2000 Grand Am for last few years..I will take the quailty of a Honda over GM any day of the year.....just got a new 15 RED EX....
I agree 100%, gm has really screwed all their customers in my opinion. I will never buy another one.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:57 PM
So sorry to hear that. That is not normal! I would echo the previous comment and contract the Honda Corporate office by writing to them with pictures to document it. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
At least you get to deal with Honda on these issues. I'm currently battling with Ford over my quality issues.

That said...you may be the only person to have ever:

A) Had issues with an S2000
B) Find German cars to have less quality issues than Japanese built Hondas (I will not say the same for US/Mexico/etc. built cars)

Old 07-23-2014, 01:44 AM
I picked up my white LX CVT today and when over it pretty thoroughly and I haven't found one flaw or issue with it. Only thing that bothers me is the cheap flooring/trunk material. But my all season mats and cargo tray should be here soon. I looked over all the door and panel fitments and also went over the paint with a flash light at night and in the sunshine today. Have not run into one issue or flaw that has stood out yet. Took it out for a decent drive in the hills and it handles great! Very well planted and sporty enough for me.

Vin ending 11507

Last edited by rikerr; 07-23-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:04 AM
whoa, this thread is seriously making me thinking about passing the 2015 model year and waiting for the 2016

Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Thankfully mine seems to be fine, too. I looked at it very closely when I bought it, when I washed it, and now again because of this thread.

The passenger side airbag is indicated as off despite the presence of a 145 lb. passenger, but we think that may have happened as a result of the seat behind it striking the front when laid flat.

Otherwise perfect now that I understand that the way I drive it adversely affects the mileage (short hops from cold).

Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by henryonfit
whoa, this thread is seriously making me thinking about passing the 2015 model year and waiting for the 2016
I challenge you to find a car that has been made for years without a defect. Regardless of whether or not it is a re-design, each year they made a minute change there has to be a manufacturing change made and there enters the opportunity for a mistake. This isn't a brand new car it is a re-designed car. If you fear mistakes by the manufacturer, you will NEVER buy a new car. Rolls are even at risk, ESPECIALLY when a car is built by hand and not controlled equipment. We all are at risk of a Friday or Monday car.

The majority of issues posted here are minimal, some just personal preference. A lot are complaining about the armrest, I find it the perfect height for my pleasure. We aren't talking engines locking up, brakes failing, steering breaking, cars driving on their own, gas tanks exploding, people are talking a scratch, a mis match of fenders which is a simple bolt adjustment. Come'on name a real issue

Last edited by tmfit; 07-23-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I challenge you to find a car that has been made for years without a defect. Regardless of whether or not it is a re-design, each year they made a minute change there has to be a manufacturing change made and there enters the opportunity for a mistake. This isn't a brand new car it is a re-designed car. If you fear mistakes by the manufacturer, you will NEVER buy a new car. Rolls are even at risk, ESPECIALLY when a car is built by hand and not controlled equipment. We all are at risk of a Friday or Monday car.

The majority of issues posted here are minimal, some just personal preference. A lot are complaining about the armrest, I find it the perfect height for my pleasure. We aren't talking engines locking up, brakes failing, steering breaking, cars driving on their own, gas tanks exploding, people are talking a scratch, a mis match of fenders which is a simple bolt adjustment. Come'on name a real issue
This should tell the person that replied "whoa, this thread is seriously making me thinking about passing the 2015 model year and waiting for the 2016", that he and all others should look the car over before a purchase. Now if he/she is so worried, and wants to wait until next years model, just remember GM cars today being recalled from cars many years older.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit