3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Oil change on the GK

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 03:14 PM
OK, I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but why would anyone seek out a synthetic blend oil? Synthetic blends were a marketing gimmick thought up in order to get the word "synthetic" on the label of a cheaper oil.

Considering the small amount of oil used and the long change intervals it seems like one would be better off with a full synthetic, particularly in the watery viscosities Honda specifies.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
OK, I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but why would anyone seek out a synthetic blend oil? Synthetic blends were a marketing gimmick thought up in order to get the word "synthetic" on the label of a cheaper oil.
you are correct, synthetic blends are a cheaper oil. it is just a mix of synthetic and petroleum based stock to end up with a "blend". lots of people to discuss (and argue) about it on Used Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

i went with a well known synthetic because i can get it fairly cheap, cheaper then the blended oil. if i was the average consumer, the link Justin's dad posted from walmart would be my choice, as that is the cheapest i have seen a large name 0w/20 from a retailer.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Noticed they used 15400-PLM-A02 which is based on "Fram" brand build. I usually buy mine online by the case with the 15400-PLM-A01 part number and it's still being made.

It's not a huge deal but I'm a bit timid about cheaper parts even though it's ok'd by Honda.

My previous car 2012 Civic Hybrid also had a shroud at the bottom with 8 screws. I use Rhino stands to make it easier to get the car off the ground with enough clearance underneath the car. It's not too hard getting the shroud on and off but yes it is annoying at times to constantly deal with it with every oil change. However, every 6-7 months is not too bad.

As for oil I use Mobil One 0W-20 5 qrt I get from Walmart whenever it's on sale. I don't recommend mixing dino oil with synthetic or even blended. To get the most fuel economy stick with full 0W-20 full synthetic. It's pricey so always look for it when it's on sale. 5 quart typically cost $25 for Mobil One.

Last edited by DArkk; 11-03-2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 11-03-2014, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodney
show me. couldn't find it anywhere retail or wholesale except for a honda dealer.

Here is the Honda branded synthetic blend on Amazon. Ignore the Amazon Prime price and look at the other sellers for a more reasonable price:

Amazon.com: Genuine Honda Fluid 08798-9036 0W-20 Blended Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Honda Fluid 08798-9036 0W-20 Blended Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle: Automotive

Here is the Honda full synthetic on Amazon. Again, ignore the Amazon Prime price and look at the other sellers for a more reasonable price.

Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 08798-9037 Full Synthetic Oil: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 08798-9037 Full Synthetic Oil: Automotive

Honda oil is available, either blended or full synthetic, from someone other than your dealer (not to say some of these other sellers are not also Honda dealers).

I'm not sure using the brand specific Honda synthetic or blended synthetic is worth the price over what other company's are charging for synthetic oil. I suppose it is possible Honda has additives that change the game somehow, I'm just not aware of what they might be.

Last edited by Vanguard; 11-03-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Forum sponsor Bernardi sells 0W20 Honda Blend for $6.16/qt and 0W20 Honda Full Synthetic for $6.94/qt.

Their shipping cost starts out pretty high so you'll want to make a larger order. They also offer a 25% shipping discount code to FitFREAK members. It's FitFreak

Bernardi sells the newer cardboard end-cap Fram manufacturer -A02 Honda oil filters, but HandA/Maita Honda has the metal end cap -A01 for $29.12/six-pack plus shipping. I paid $14.01 shipping for two six-packs plus two six packs of crush washers which aren't included with the filters, from there to Ohio.

Last edited by Fitmo; 11-03-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
For active-duty/retired military, don't forget you can probably get lift access at the MWR Auto Hobby Shop for a reasonable rate. Some even have dedicated oil change bays.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I'm not sure using the brand specific Honda synthetic or blended synthetic is worth the price over what other company's are charging for synthetic oil. I suppose it is possible Honda has additives that change the game somehow, I'm just not aware of what they might be.
I'm pretty certain that Honda isn't adding anything to their oil, they're just rebranding existing oil as they do with filters. I'm really disappointed to see that they are using Fram as a supplier. I never thought that I would have to be careful *which* Honda part I use.

Dealers don't use Honda brand oil either. They use whatever is cheapest from the oil jobber.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I'm pretty certain that Honda isn't adding anything to their oil, they're just rebranding existing oil as they do with filters. I'm really disappointed to see that they are using Fram as a supplier. I never thought that I would have to be careful *which* Honda part I use.

Dealers don't use Honda brand oil either. They use whatever is cheapest from the oil jobber.
Yeah, I forgotten how bad the A02 are which is why I always made sure to get the A01 when ordering.

I will be checking mine and if it's A02 I will go ahead and change it. I don't like waste but Fram filters have no place in a car. My car almost over 1,400 miles so shouldn't be an issue to change it out.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-04-2014, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DArkk
oh, perfect. since that is a 40 weight, i only have to run half the amount of oil since my car uses 20 weight? so, 1.75 quarts?

Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
oh, perfect. since that is a 40 weight, i only have to run half the amount of oil since my car uses 20 weight? so, 1.75 quarts?
Nah, you have to dilute it 50/50 with diesel to make 3-1/2

Old 11-04-2014, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Nah, you have to dilute it 50/50 with diesel to make 3-1/2
That seems expensive, water should work shouldn't it?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Justin Lane
That seems expensive, water should work shouldn't it?
Why sure! It would even steam-clean your engine from the inside out!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM
m_x
I might just be missing it, but I don't quite see where the drain plug is in your pic. Is it the small black bolt to the right of the filter? Not that it matters too much, I'm sure it will be immediately identified when I get under the car.

I will hit 7k on my way home from work today. The MM still says 30%, but I think I will change it this evening. I got a case of Honda -A01 filters and I'll nab some Mobil 1 on the way home. 3.5 quarts you say?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x
3.5 quarts you say?
yep, on the nose. i put 3 in it, started it, then put 1/4 quart, then another 1/4 quart, and it was right on the upper line.

drainplug was in the area with the circle...

Last edited by rodney; 11-12-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: edited for clarity.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
yep, on the nose. i put 3 in it, started it, then put 1/4 quart, then half quart in, and it was right on the upper line.

drainplug was in the area with the circle...
I like the placement of the drain plug and the oil filter. Makes it easy to do oil changes without a fat mess.

Normally I prefer the oil filter rear of the engine to protect from road debris but thanks to the plastic shroud it's not an issue.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:16 PM
m_x
you spend more time undoing the screws then doing the oil change.
x2. Those screws were a pain. I also had a hell of a time getting the oil filter off for some reason. But it was a success.

I used a magnetic drain plug to see if I catch anything. I'm not sure it will do anything, but whatever. As long as it doesn't leak I'll be happy. I added 6 "OEM" Honda crush washers to the order when I got my window visors for $1.50, so I switched that out too.

Just wanted to add, I didn't have a lift to put it on. I'm pretty small and still couldn't fit under the car without raising it a little bit. I used the jack that came with the car to raise the passenger side an inch or two; just high enough to fit a jackstand under there (I didn't trust that little jack). From there it was smooth sailing.

P.S. 5qt jug of Mobil 1 was $25 and some change at walmart

Last edited by m_x; 11-05-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:14 PM
its not that you didn't trust that jack... you should never get under the vehicle with that jack period, or any jack really.
Thanks for using a jackstand

Old 11-05-2014, 04:07 PM
m_x
Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
its not that you didn't trust that jack... you should never get under the vehicle with that jack period, or any jack really.
Thanks for using a jackstand
Ugh. Not to hijack this thread and take it to dark places, but even with the jackstand, the whole time I was under the car futtsing with the screws on the plastic cover I was just visualizing what a horrific scene it would be to have the car fall on you... what a terrible way to go, but even more so, what a terrible way to be found dead (or more likely in the process of dying)! I have an over active imagination sometimes though.

Safety first

Old 11-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh, that's an odd angle that filter is mounted on the engine. would be hard to unscrew it without getting old oil on your hand? not that im not wearing disposable gloves but i dont like making a mess while i work on my cars.

Quick Reply: Oil change on the GK