3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

2015 White Orchid paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Angry 2015 White Orchid paint issues

So, was really excited to buy my new FIT as you can imagine. Seemed to be the perfect car for me and the dogs. Within a week I noticed chipping paint on the hood. Then the mirrors, front bumper. I also noticed that rocks loved my windshield! I have at least 6 chips in my windshield and I don't live in a weather heavy state, I live in California! I am older and have owned many cars in my life. I have lived in different climates, even the desert where the windshield will definitely be sand blasted, but never have I had paint chip off! I walk through parking lots and never see on any car ( all ages, all makes )what I see on mine. I have had this car now for a little over 2 months and am miserable.
I contacted the dealer, went in and the Service Manager took a few photos and never got back to me. I did get a new survey in my email at the time so complained about the finish. Wouldn't you know I got an email the next morning. He said that there were no 'known' issues and that I could buy a bra for my new car to help protect it. What???? I was furious. I am furious. I told him I have more new chips since then. He offered up an apology on the phone and said his new district manager would be in sometime this month and he would have him take a look at it.
Nothing so far. I am ready to call a lawyer. I know paint finishes etc and this is flawed. The chips all the way down to the undercoat which would require either that the car be stripped and repainted or filled. Nix on the fillers!
One of the reasons I bought this car was because of it's resale value! That is doomed at this point. I am going to do more research on the 'powder coat' they are using on these cars and powder coats in general. Curing, moisture in the air, temperature are all part of the chemistry. Is my car from some bad batch or is this a one at a time process? I just want them to buy this back from me at this point. I just don't see any way I am not going to be hassling with a dealer and Honda for the rest of this cars life !!

Last edited by sunsetswimmer; 03-13-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-25-2015, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
I guess the 3 layer paint process isn't as good as the old 4 layer process. Who would've thought.

Honda Increases North American Manufacturing Footprint with Production Start of Fuel-Efficient, Subcompact Vehicles at New Auto Plant in Mexico - Honda.com

A new 3-coat/2-bake, water-based painting process (replacing the traditional 4-coat/3-bake process) to reduce energy consumption during the painting process by approximately 40%, while enhancing paint finish quality.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM
I have a white orchid Fit EX and have similar issues with paint chips on my hood only so far, pretty deep chips though. Had the car for about 1/2 year now. I find it shocking myself cause I never had this happen with my RSX many years ago. Also noticed that my spoiler is a different shade of white. Not sure if it's just me or is this everyone else. Probably just me lol.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JinKisaragi
I have a white orchid Fit EX and have similar issues with paint chips on my hood only so far, pretty deep chips though. Had the car for about 1/2 year now. I find it shocking myself cause I never had this happen with my RSX many years ago. Also noticed that my spoiler is a different shade of white. Not sure if it's just me or is this everyone else. Probably just me lol.
A slight difference in shade is common on a lot of cars when comparing painted metal (doors, fender, hood) to painted plastic (bumpers, spoilers).

Old 02-25-2015, 02:55 PM
This is an issue with most new cars and their eco-friendly and cost concious paint. Get a clear bra or leave 3 seconds of following distance. Buy a bottle of touch-up paint.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:12 PM
Paint chips? Wait til the rusting starts...

I've been having to fill in numerous paint chips since I got my Fit in '09 (new). Glad I bought the touch-up paint. MY big issue is all the rust issues, there's an area of rust on my roof that started less than a year ago, about the size of a half-dollar. (I'll post a pic soon)...car is now just under six years old. Is this normal? (Not to mention the wheel hubs...yes, I live on an island, but really?)

Old 02-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by validivee
I've been having to fill in numerous paint chips since I got my Fit in '09 (new). Glad I bought the touch-up paint. MY big issue is all the rust issues, there's an area of rust on my roof that started less than a year ago, about the size of a half-dollar. (I'll post a pic soon)...car is now just under six years old. Is this normal? (Not to mention the wheel hubs...yes, I live on an island, but really?)
Have you waxed or sealed the paint on a regular basis? Is the car parked outside?

Old 02-25-2015, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
I had clear film installed on the front bumper, grill, headlights, turn signals, front fender leading edges, mirrors, and hood. Maybe I'll regret not getting the leading edge of the roof done, but I passed on that and the rocker panels. Lots of sand and gravel in the winter. Still looks showroom

Old 02-25-2015, 05:56 PM
You either have a bad paint job or you're a heavy tailgater to have that many chips on all forward facing surfaces.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Orchid White LS - Perfect

I've had my 2015 over 5 months and I don't have ANY chips on the bumper. hood or mirrors.

I feel that the paint looks gorgeous,especially in the sun.

My only gripe is wind noise on the right side above 40 mph.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by dave92029
I've had my 2015 over 5 months and I don't have ANY chips on the bumper. hood or mirrors.

I feel that the paint looks gorgeous,especially in the sun.

My only gripe is wind noise on the right side above 40 mph.
I know this is off topic, but what about that wind noise on the right side at 40 mph? I have it too.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Regarding the rock chips... It doesn't help that the front end of this car slopes down drastically compared to the older and shorter cars with longer hoods. And I try to follow as far back as possible without getting honked off the road to avoid front end debris.

I also think the new water-based paint systems are not as good as the old, regardless of how eco or energy saving they may be. The end result is a lower quality, easier damaged surface. The unintended consequences of 'greening' the process.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:37 PM
I agree about the eco paint being the cause most likely of chipping.

4 months now driving the car and no chips. I'm a wicked slow driver and tend to stay back from cars in front.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
White orchid pearl as well, and I have noticed chips when I wash the car. They are deep, too. In the hood, and bumper, and windshield. I live in Houston and drive a lot, and at high speed in close quarters with traffic (freeway). Will filler paint really help? What's the consensus on these issues? Also had a blemish show up on the corner of a panel, thought it'd need repainting but the dealer hand buffed it out and it was on top of the clear coat, weird. Still haven't taken it back to dealer to finish the job with a machine buff, I should do that.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
I had clear film installed on the front bumper, grill, headlights, turn signals, front fender leading edges, mirrors, and hood. Maybe I'll regret not getting the leading edge of the roof done, but I passed on that and the rocker panels. Lots of sand and gravel in the winter. Still looks showroom

Where did you have that done? Getting sand blasted around here is inevitable.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFolksinger
Where did you have that done? Getting sand blasted around here is inevitable.
Protective Films | Auto Care Services | Ziebart

Edit: Better link

Z-Shield Paint Protection Film | Auto Care Services | Ziebart

Last edited by Fitmo; 02-26-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by NotBlake
Have you waxed or sealed the paint on a regular basis? Is the car parked outside?
This shouldn't make any difference. I have an '04 polar white Scion xB. The front of the thing is a vertical slab. I wash it when it gets dirty and I don't wax it at all. It is parked outside in SoCal. In 11 years I've touched up two paint chips, both resulting from rocks thrown up by other cars that hit the car with an audible bang. The rest of the paint is fine.

I'm not a fan of paint protection film as it ends up turning yellow and looking worse than a few repaired chips. However, if the new 3-coat Honda paint is that bad it might be prudent to get.

OTOH, peeling paint seems to be fairly common. I see a lot of 5-year-old cars with sheets of paint peeled off. Chrysler products seem to be the most affected.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:41 PM
I purchased my Fit (Orchid White Pearl) a little over a week ago, and I have not noticed any chipping .. will keep my eye out

Old 02-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
This shouldn't make any difference. I have an '04 polar white Scion xB. The front of the thing is a vertical slab. I wash it when it gets dirty and I don't wax it at all. It is parked outside in SoCal. In 11 years I've touched up two paint chips, both resulting from rocks thrown up by other cars that hit the car with an audible bang. The rest of the paint is fine.

I'm not a fan of paint protection film as it ends up turning yellow and looking worse than a few repaired chips. However, if the new 3-coat Honda paint is that bad it might be prudent to get.

OTOH, peeling paint seems to be fairly common. I see a lot of 5-year-old cars with sheets of paint peeled off. Chrysler products seem to be the most affected.
My comment was with regards to the roof rust, not paint chips. Of course wax/sealant isn't going to protect your paint from rocks.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 AM
I wonder if these paint issues are just affecting the white orchid pearl. Anyone else have this problem?

Quick Reply: 2015 White Orchid paint issues