3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Corrosion on door handle brackets

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 06:06 PM
This makes zero sense because my dealership is how I was alerted to this...
I never would have known.

Perhaps it is new to the US market and people will start being notified soon?

Old 12-31-2015, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
If it's not a safety recall, but is a customer satisfaction thing Honda wants to to to prevent, say, later warranty claims, they wouldn't necessarily notify you. But they would flag your VIN and a dealer would see this when writing up a ticket for your car. They are only required to notify you for a safety recall. Seems to me like that system is working. Over my 30 or so years with Honda/Acura and 8 cars, I've had some of these non-recall "campaigns" where I got a letter from Honda and others that only the dealer knew about.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Got the Oh Shit recall done today, and had them check for corrosion on the door handles. Now the passenger outside door handle is falling off. Jeeze!

Old 01-07-2016, 01:21 PM
The notice I have from my dealership regarding this issue is stated as such, so check with your dealerships if you want. Bringing mine in tomorrow morning and leaving it all day.

Vehicle: 2015 HONDA FIT
Maint./Repair Services: Mfr Campaign/Safety Recall Notice:15-088 - OUTER HANDLE CORROSION

Old 01-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Does anybody actually have a link to this service bulletin, or a copy of this they can post? Without this my dealer will do nothing.

Nothing shows up in a web search of service bulletins.
I'm not sure if this is repeated information, but here is a link to see Honda's TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins). As of today the 2015 Fit has 8.

Honda TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | HondaProblems.com

Old 01-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Does anybody actually have a link to this service bulletin, or a copy of this they can post? Without this my dealer will do nothing.

Nothing shows up in a web search of service bulletins.
I'm not sure if this is repeated information, but here is a link to see Honda's TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins). As of today the 2015 Fit has 8.

Honda TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | HondaProblems.com

Old 01-09-2016, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Well to my surprise when I finally went around to schedule the apt to fix the CVT shaft issue there is another bulletin about rust on the door handles. What? This car is subject to all kinds of weather including rain.

So going to let Honda fix both issues next Saturday. Lucky there is a mall and movie theather across the street so suppose I could watch Star Wars again.

I didn't mind the CVT issue but not happy about the rust issue as it can affect paint as well safety.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Although I can find nothing about this on Honda's web site, I asked the dealer about this last week, and they said my car is "covered" for this. I'm waiting for the parts to come in now, but I don't think they're too eager to tear all four doors apart.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Mine got repaired along with the grab handle recall. News to me too.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Although I can find nothing about this on Honda's web site, I asked the dealer about this last week, and they said my car is "covered" for this. I'm waiting for the parts to come in now, but I don't think they're too eager to tear all four doors apart.
Taking the door panels off not hard to do. I've done it on my 2009 CRV to replace the faulty door lock (another Honda's mess) on the driver side. I use plastic tools to prevent scratches.

It just pops off and then snaps in place.

Depending on the mechanics inside the door it might be PITA to get the door handles off. I had one hell of a time getting the lock removed from the door and then putting a new one back in. For me it was PITA but got it done.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
I called my dealer and he was aware of it. I'll have mine checked this summer when I get my next oil change. They look good to me now. Intriguingly he also said they extended the warranty for these parts, but I neglected to ask him for how long since I have 9K miles on my 18 month old car.

Edit: Note that I'm on the Gulf coast of Florida, so it's not just states with winter.

Last edited by exl500; 01-11-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
So I was scheduling OIL change via online honda page and noticed this DOOR HANDLE CORROSION on the list of recommended service. Added it for my appointment let's see what happens.

I called service dept to inquire they told me it would take whole day Hope they give me a ride home or do they do loaner?

Old 01-14-2016, 06:56 PM
I took my car in to the dealer for the rear grab handle brackets recall, and they told me that they would also replace the outer door handle brackets (I didn't even ask). According to them there was no corrosion present, but they still replaced them.
Unfortunately, they were not very careful with the rear handle brackets work - the ceiling fabric was damaged and the carpeting was left dirty and fuzzy - it's not too much, but it's frustrating since that's just carelessness. I already wrote them a complaint e-mail, and will be back either tomorrow or one day soon so they can correct it - what an annoying little hassle - sorry, just venting. I usually check a car after servicing, but this time I was in a hurry and just trusted that they did their job correctly. Here are the pics of the damage.

Last edited by 2015FIT; 01-14-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Damn....I inspected mine before leaving the dealership and they did a great job of not messing anything up.

Yeah I would let Honda Corp know about that.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by DArkk
Damn....I inspected mine before leaving the dealership and they did a great job of not messing anything up.

Yeah I would let Honda Corp know about that.
Fortunately the dealer was very apologetic and they will replace the ceiling fabric covering. I'll take it in when the part comes in and they will give me a free rental car for the day. Regarding the carpet in the cargo area, they vacuumed and cleaned it. I'm glad that they owned up to their oopsie.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2015FIT
Fortunately the dealer was very apologetic and they will replace the ceiling fabric covering. I'll take it in when the part comes in and they will give me a free rental car for the day. Regarding the carpet in the cargo area, they vacuumed and cleaned it. I'm glad that they owned up to their oopsie.
Glad they owe up to their mistake and offered to fix it for free so have to give kudos to them.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
I got a recall notice re this from Honda. They said it might take a long time - can't do it while you wait. Also got a recall notice - brackets for rear grab handles may cut into air bags when they inflate. The fix for this is less time-consuming.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
I had a local dealer with a busy service shop do my door brackets and rear grab handle brackets. I can't see any problems with the grab handle job. The headliner looks fine. But as far as the door handles go, on one door they smeared adhesive on the window glass, the adhesive from the humidity control clear plastic film. I cleaned the adhesive off the glass, but every time I lower then raise the glass, more adhesive gets onto it. I removed the inner door panel myself and repositioned the plastic film properly and cleaned off the glob of adhesive that they had smeared onto it, that was getting onto the glass. I think I used mineral spirits to clean up the adhesive but I'm not sure so be careful, do a small test spot first before using any solvent on plastic or rubber parts.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:01 PM
I live in the midatlantic region, my car is a bit over a year old and has rust/corrosion caked all over the place like it was built in the 90s. I envy your west coast car's lifestyle :P