3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Dash warning lights keep coming on

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Add me to the list as well.

Bought the car September 14, 2014 as a replacement for our 2007 Fit that I killed by hitting a wheel/tire on the highway at speed.

Car had been running rough and seemed to me like the transmission was slipping (I have the CVT). Yesterday afternoon we started the car to drive home from work and the usual four lights came on (low tire pressure, anti-skid, check engine, and no power steering). Car seemed to run as well as it always did (low on power and no acceleration).

Dropped it off last night at dealer and they just gave me a call. Seems they have a cylinder misfire(duh) and they want to keep it overnight to check "the piston." Car has about 19,800 miles on it.

I logged onto this site after I talked to the dealer, now I have a clue as to what might be causing this. Think I'll give them a call back and let them know I've been informed.

We have another car (a smart) to drive back and forth to work so it's no big deal if they need to replace the head, although September is a LONG time to wait to get the car back!

I'll keep you all informed

Old 08-14-2015, 11:07 AM
UPDATE: Dealer has finally been able to reproduce the error. Received error code P2176 and has replaced the throttle body (cleaning did not solve the problem). They say it's fixed and good to go. I will post an update to confirm.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
UPDATE: Back in the shop again Friday.

I picked it up from the dealer on Wednesday, filled it up with the suggested premium fuel. Drove it home total distance of about 15 miles. We did not drive it too much on Thursday, just down to the store and back, another seven or eight miles again. Started to drive it to work and got about 1/4 mile away from home with the dash lights came back on again. So we drove it to the dealer and there is has been since Friday.

We are calling this "Round 2."

Old 08-17-2015, 01:22 PM
I bought my 2015 Fit back in November and this issue first occurred at about 4900 miles, I took it to the dealers and the just supposedly reset something and it was gone for a while. The issue just came back last Friday at 7600 miles and took it into the dealers again. They said it was a faulty oil switch and replaced it. The problem came back about 50 miles after getting it back from the dealer. I will be taking it back the the dealer again today and hopefully they have some sort of solution for this issue as it seems to approaching lemon territory real quick.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
August 18th Update - The dealer is going to install new Injectors

Got the message this morning listing "*injector set, fuel, Part Number 160105R1305" has arrived. I'm assuming they will be installing this today and then taking it for a test drive.

This is what I like to call "Round 2 fix."

The next step (according to this thread) will be a head.

Let's see if it goes that far.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Update - 8/18

I just got my car back from the dealers this morning. They told me that the issue for me was caused by some metal debris in the oil switch housing that was causing all the lights to trigger. They had replaced the faulty oil switch on the visit last week. They have cleared out the debris and test drove it for a while and everything seems to be fine. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Metal debris in the oil switch??? First question, where did the metal come from?

2nd question, this is the second time they blamed the oil switch. Something does not seem right here.

Do you feel a miss or hesitation in acceleration at modest throttle pressure? Is there a smell of exhaust or oil?

I'd watch this very closely as I think your dealer is missing the main problem and just trying to do a quick and dirty fix.

Oh, BTW, if there was metal on the oil switch (actually sensor) then it had to have come from someplace, and if your engine has metal pieces floating around in the oil then you have a really big problem as this can scour the cylinders, block oil passages, and generally cause untold problems with the internal operations of an engine. Since, obviously the oil filter did not catch that piece of metal (that caused all the warning lights to go on), and if there is one piece of metal running around in your engine then chances are there are more.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Update on Fit

We got it back last Friday after they put in new injectors and a new fuel line. So far it seems to be running good, and I think we are getting much better mileage than before.

I am still leery of it though and will keep a very close eye on it.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 PM
Just checking in to see if anyone here has had any updates, or if the fixes you posted indeed fixed the problem. I got the dreaded 4-warning-light-combo Friday and the dealer still doesn't know what to do to fix it. They have me in a loaner now. I have had the car for about 11 months. This is just unacceptable and makes me uneasy about the future reliability of the car.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:27 PM
As an update, they tried performing a CVT firmware update, changing out the coils, but ultimately adjusting the valves made the problem go away. They test drove it for a long time and it seems to have fixed the issue. So far so good for me. I'll report back if anything else goes wrong.

Interestingly, they actually just got another 2015 Fit in the shop for the same problem when I picked mine up.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
The fix on mine seems to be holding up, we have 22,700 miles on it now and everything seems to be good. I am worried about the CVT & coil pack recalls although I have not received any letters in the mail for them (as yet).

I wish I had not killed my 07 Fit sport :-(

Old 11-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Honda Fit Dash warning lights

I have the same problem. Software update did not correct. Second trip to dealership resulted in new air filter which did not correct. Third trip being advised to try high test gasoline. If that doesn't work being advised that fuel injectors need to be replaced at my cost despite having extended warranty. Stay tuned.....

Unhappy Fit Owner....

Old 11-23-2015, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
If you even think your going to use the lemon law its time to start lawyer shopping, from what I've seen its the only way to actually make it happen.

The service manager actually suggested it to my brother (Out in the parking lot) when he had a bad engine in a diesel pickup..

Old 11-29-2015, 01:20 AM
I experienced the same exact set of warning lights as well. I drove it home, and noticed a lack of power and that the steering was overly assisted. The slightest turn of the steering wheel would jerk the vehicle in that direction. Service Manager advised that a software update would solve the issue which was caused by the "wet conditions" and the traction control being triggered...I live in Seattle!

Old 02-23-2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks!

I want to thank everyone who had previously commented on this thread. My wife and I just bought a CPO 2015 Fit EX and had the aforementioned warning lights show up on the second day. Armed with the information I had read here I was able to dismiss the dealership's claims that this was a gas or battery issue and get to the heart of the issue, which was that they really had no idea what was up and wanted to keep the car for a few days. No thanks.

Ended up returning the 2015 and talking them down on the price of a new 2016.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Bad Gas Diagnosis

Thanks for this forum. I had the same warning lights come on, and the dealer thinks it might be bad gas and wants to charge me $500 to clean out the gas tank.

It sounds like there are many problems with this car! I contacted Honda on their customer service twitter account and told them about the situation. Have you contacted Honda about these issues?

Thanks,
Glenn

Old 03-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Thumbs down

Hey guys, I unfortunately have to bump this, because yesterday I ran into the same problem. 2015 Fit EX CVT, purchased late November, 2014. This is the first I've seen this happen. Car was sitting in a parking lot all day while I visited an amusement park. The day before, I drove 12+ hours in the Fit and filled up with gas at multiple stops along the way, so in my case it very well could be bad gas, I don't know. I didn't have any problems during that drive. I'm now halfway across the country from home and trying not to freak out about the prospect of getting back home. Or worse, having the engine randomly cut power in traffic! All 4 lights are on with the tire pressure light flashing. I tried cycling the car on/off several times to see if anything changed and occasionally what happens is I'll see three lights turn on initially (everything except the power steering), and then about a minute later the power steering light turns on.

So far I have only driven the car short distances around town as necessary and I haven't noticed any kind of issues whatsoever with the actual driving. No power throttling, no funny smells or noises. I'll take a look under the hood to make sure there isn't any damage from animals or debris. I've already had issues with small animals easily getting into the engine and chewing on cables, so apparently the Fit's engine is not very well protected from the environment. In any case, it sounds like this is a disaster of a problem, and of course right after I pay off my Fit! Very unhappy with Honda right now. Trying to decide if I trust the car enough to try and get back home or what else I could even do.

It seems like the "4 lights" condition is a catch-all for any undetermined errors/codes. Last time I had an issue (when a rabbit chewed through sensor) I actually saw a warning message show up on the LCD that said "Check Charge System". This time it's just the warning lights on by themselves with no information.

Last edited by Vaughanabe13; 03-20-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Update on Fit

Vaughanabe13, I am sorry to hear that you had a similar problem with the Fit. How frustrating!

Here's an update on my car, which is running fine for the past 2 weeks:

* The dealer kept it for 4 days. They first thought it was bad gas, then did the 2 recalls on the car, and then they kept trying different things, including recalibrating the cylinders. Then they said they emptied out the rest of the gas and put new gas in, and it runs fine.

* I kind of got the feeling that they really didn't know (or didn't want to admit) what the problem was. The good news is that I didn't have to pay anything and now I have my car back (all under warranty). If possible, can you take your car to a Honda dealer? They gave me a loaner.

* I'm not a car expert, but when all the lights come on, I've been told that it needs to be serviced soon...but perhaps some of the other people on this forum will have better advice.

All the best,
G

Old 03-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Glenn Hutchinson
Vaughanabe13, I am sorry to hear that you had a similar problem with the Fit. How frustrating!

Here's an update on my car, which is running fine for the past 2 weeks:

* The dealer kept it for 4 days. They first thought it was bad gas, then did the 2 recalls on the car, and then they kept trying different things, including recalibrating the cylinders. Then they said they emptied out the rest of the gas and put new gas in, and it runs fine.

* I kind of got the feeling that they really didn't know (or didn't want to admit) what the problem was. The good news is that I didn't have to pay anything and now I have my car back (all under warranty). If possible, can you take your car to a Honda dealer? They gave me a loaner.

* I'm not a car expert, but when all the lights come on, I've been told that it needs to be serviced soon...but perhaps some of the other people on this forum will have better advice.

All the best,
G
I just had my car in for an oil change (Honda Dealer) and inspection and everything was fine at that time, roughly 1 month ago. I will take it in the dealer again when I get home (hopefully) and I will update you guys. I do have AAA and crossing my fingers I don't have to use it on the drive back.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:13 PM
Update: Lights were still coming on this afternoon. I had about 2/3 tank of gas from the last fill up, so I went to a station and filled up with the highest quality gas I could find, which was 93 octane at BP. At the time of getting gas, all lights were turned on when I started the car and wouldn't go away while driving After gas, I continued to drive around for about 15-20 minutes at a time between stops. Then I noticed the dash lights started changing patterns. Fewer lights were coming on - this time the engine light was off, but the traction and power steering lights were still lit, with the TPMS light flashing. Then after a few stops the lights just stopped coming on entirely. I tried turning the car off/on a few times and the lights are off. The only thing I changed was putting in a high quality gas. Typically I will get the regular gasoline, usually around 87 octane or so, no ethanol/alcohol. Like I said, we had to stop at many gas stations on the this trip so in my case it very likely could have been bad gas. Either way I will be taking to the dealer when I get back.

Quick Reply: Dash warning lights keep coming on