3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Dash warning lights keep coming on

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 04:34 AM
Any update on this? I just ran into this issue as well!

Old 04-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Small update for anyone interested
Dealer is replacing fuel pump and fuel injectors. Hopefully this will fix it ��

Old 04-13-2016, 02:05 AM
Had the same thing happen to my 2015 with 47,000, told me i had a bad injector, replace all 4 at my cost, then bang happen again it was really low fuel presure they replace my fuel pump so far ok

Old 04-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Hey guys, quick update. After first discovering this problem back at the end of March, I was able to get the lights to disappear by filling up with premium gasoline. This seemed in line with what some other people were saying about using "bad gas". I assumed that somewhere on my road trip I got some bad gas and then the problem went away after I started using higher quality. Just a quick note, I have never once used ethanol or alcohol gas, only regular or premium. Since then I have been only using premium and the problem was totally gone...until 2 days ago. Now that I finally have the lights back on (same pattern as before) I took it to the dealer and they just updated me that it needed all new fuel injectors and a new fuel rail. All of it is covered under warranty so they are making the repairs and hopefully it should fix it. I'll report back whether or not the issue comes back.

For reference, I have a '15 Honda Fit EX purchased in November of '14 and it has about 22K miles on it right now.

Edit- So far so good - no lights after picking up from the dealer. They were unable to answer why this could have happened. They just said the parts were defective and wouldn't really give me any details. Everything was covered under warranty. No idea if it was the variety of gas that was put into the tank that somehow triggered it or if the parts were just bad from the factory.

Last edited by Vaughanabe13; 04-29-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:55 AM
low presure from the fuel rail to fuel pump to injectors don't make the injectors defective, Try replacing the rail sensor first

Old 06-13-2016, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Had this happen to me about 4 months ago,replaced all fuel injectors.Was good for about 3.5 months then bam it came back.My final fix was to trade it in for a Corolla.Loved my Fit but not this on going issue.Good luck all on this one.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Update

Just an update for others with this issue. I also had the same four dash lights come on. I was on the highway (going about 60mph) and felt hesitation as I was driving, as well as a bit of "weird" handling. It felt like it skipped as I accelerated. It also had a hard time starting after I turned it off.

My car is a 2015 Fit with around 25K miles on it.

I took it to the dealer and they told me that they needed to replace the "high pressure fuel pump" as well as "one of the lines" (?). It took them only 36 hours to get me my car back, as they had to order the part. Hopefully it solves the issue!

Old 08-26-2016, 02:01 AM
Same thing here, 2015 LX @ 12k at dealer. All warning lights came on last night and the car seemed really underpowered. Tow truck drove it to dealer and this morning getting a call saying it wont start and fuel injectors need to be replaced. Got another call this evening saying the same thing and it's gonna be a while....

Seems this car has been nothin' but recalls and problems.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Same four warning lights on my 2015 Fit LX, about 53K miles. Low tire pressure, VBS, Check Engine, Power Steering. Auto Zone gave me the code for the Check Engine light and said it was "misfire cylinder no 2." It runs fine when the lights come on except the stupid eco-bars around the speedometer stay dark blue and won't show green even when the MPG indicator is showing 45-90 mpg. I'm still averaging 41+ mpg like I have all summer. I made an appointment to bring it to my dealership but the lights disappeared after I filled up the gas one night. A few weeks later the warning lights came back. I filled it with premium gas and the lights disappeared the next day. Each time, the eco-bars return to normal after the warning lights go off.

From reading all the posts on this thread, it sounds like there are multiple problems that can trigger this cluster of four lights, or nobody is sure what really causes it (including dealerships). Is it safe to assume that it's just bad gas in my case or am I just delaying the inevitable major repair at the dealership?

(Sorry if I'm posting on the wrong thread by mentioning my LX, but this sub-forum is where everyone was talking about that damn cluster of four warning lights.)

Last edited by redhausman; 09-03-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:13 AM
Make sure they (Honda) fix it before your 60,000 Warranty because the fuel pump is cover until then. That was my problem, they told me my injectors was bad, they made a $1,000 off of me. After replacing my fuel pump gone 12,000 miles no problem 44-46 MPG

Old 11-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Alright, bump for a high-mileage example.

Fit EX 6-speed here, 74k-ish miles. Due for an oil change (5%, oops), air filter, and a tranny flush. Filled up yesterday at the gas station chain I always do (SuperAmerica, so not a budget stop), drove about 150 miles last night, and about 50 today, no issues or lights.

An hour and a half after last driving, I get in and start driving and the lights come on. Flashing TPMS, CEL, VSA, and later the steering warning. Noticed no difference in driving, but hadn't gotten above 25 mph by that point. Next stoplight, I restart the car, same lights, no change. Pull into a parking lot for a visual inspection, and nothing weird. Drove on the highway (up to 70 I believe) and nothing felt weird. Got to the gym, restated the car one more time, and the CEL goes away, but the others stayed.

Gonna stop into the dealer tomorrow and get the oil change and air filter for sure. Hopefully that's the only issue.

UPDATE: Came out from the gym an hour and a half later, and all lights were gone. So my trip to the dealer for diagnostic is pointless. However, will still need an oil change and air filter asap, so....

Last edited by esnave09; 11-07-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by esnave09
Alright, bump for a high-mileage example.

Fit EX 6-speed here, 74k-ish miles. Due for an oil change (5%, oops), air filter, and a tranny flush. Filled up yesterday at the gas station chain I always do (SuperAmerica, so not a budget stop), drove about 150 miles last night, and about 50 today, no issues or lights.

An hour and a half after last driving, I get in and start driving and the lights come on. Flashing TPMS, CEL, VSA, and later the steering warning. Noticed no difference in driving, but hadn't gotten above 25 mph by that point. Next stoplight, I restart the car, same lights, no change. Pull into a parking lot for a visual inspection, and nothing weird. Drove on the highway (up to 70 I believe) and nothing felt weird. Got to the gym, restated the car one more time, and the CEL goes away, but the others stayed.

Gonna stop into the dealer tomorrow and get the oil change and air filter for sure. Hopefully that's the only issue.

UPDATE: Came out from the gym an hour and a half later, and all lights were gone. So my trip to the dealer for diagnostic is pointless. However, will still need an oil change and air filter asap, so....
Another update: lights have been coming and going all week. Dealer ran diagnostics when the lights were off and brought back an injector code, auoting me almost $1000 for a replacement. That was on Wednesday, but now I'm noticing that the car runs better with the lights on, but has overboosted steering (slightly). Don't want to replace the injectors if possible, but we'll see down the road. Gonna try premium gas with my next tank.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Another fit with dash light problems.

My wife has a 2015 ,35,000 miles .Started cold one morning and lights are on . Took it to the dealer and they looked confused ,claimed they had never heard of such a problem. After having different guys work on it , they finally told me it was a dirty mass air flow sensor. I am not a Certified Honda tech but I do a lot of car work and don't see the relationship of the problem with a airflow sensor . I brought it home ,two days later same thing .
Has anyone actually had theirs repaired for this problem and can tell me the final diagnosis.? I think the Honda dealer does not appreciate my input and curiosity but its a pretty good drive back and forth to the dealership and I just have better things to do than set with the old ladies and watch CNN in the waiting room.
This is a good car and my wife loves it but she freaks when the lights come on. Thanks fellas any guidance would be a big help.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by joe cool
My wife has a 2015 ,35,000 miles .Started cold one morning and lights are on . Took it to the dealer and they looked confused ,claimed they had never heard of such a problem. After having different guys work on it , they finally told me it was a dirty mass air flow sensor. I am not a Certified Honda tech but I do a lot of car work and don't see the relationship of the problem with a airflow sensor . I brought it home ,two days later same thing .
Has anyone actually had theirs repaired for this problem and can tell me the final diagnosis.? I think the Honda dealer does not appreciate my input and curiosity but its a pretty good drive back and forth to the dealership and I just have better things to do than set with the old ladies and watch CNN in the waiting room.
This is a good car and my wife loves it but she freaks when the lights come on. Thanks fellas any guidance would be a big help.
These lights basically come on anytime there's a mechanical/electrical problem with the car that is not causing damage to the emissions system. My problem ended up being the fuel injectors, which cost me $1000 to fix. However, yours might be under warranty still. I have also heard of a lot of different issues with it too.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Diagnosis injectors?

I just returned from my dealer ,he says he called a bigger shop and they told him Injectors, They will call with an appointment when they have them ,crossed fingers.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:53 AM
well it looks like maybe we have it fixed. They put a new fuel rail and injectors on three weeks ago and it has not happened again. thanks to all who helped.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting info. Our 2015 Fit just started showing the same warning lights today. Seems to drive okay. Will call our dealer tomorrow.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
Looks like I can put my name on this list. I have always had bad mileage (I usually get 260 miles from a tank of gas), CVT acting strange (feels like a slipping clutch and then it will slam into gear, aside from not having a clutch or gear) at times, radio issues (Bluetooth works at random and it can't even keep correct time which is really annoying), passenger airbag light going on and off at random, auto door locks do what they want (engage/lock at different times after the car has started driving and anywhere from 5 mph up to 60 mph sometimes) TPMS needs reset every month.... The dealer has fixed nothing so far, so I am sure their attitude about this will not be much different.
Yep, it's Monday. FML

Last edited by YourConfused; 06-05-2017 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:00 PM
2015 LX, CVT, 26-06-2018 @ 117,000 km

Just seen check engine, traction and steering lights come on this morning. I've been monitoring a misfire issue since 76,000 km after I had the dealership replace the CVT fluid. That was the day I started having all sorts of problems. I just want to note that the car was thurally pressure washed when I got it back from them so this all might be related to water ingress somewhere. I also noticed the CVT fluid plug got knocked out of place so I had to squeeze in there and push it back in.

The day I got it back I started having starter issues. It would take me multiple attempts at turning the key for the car to start. It randomly just wouldn't start and I ended up sitting there for 45 minutes trying to get it to turn over once. It just clicked once per try. Turned out to be the starter itself or starter relay recessed inside it. I replaced it about 19,000 km ago and never had a starter issue since.

Last fall I noticed a misfire or slipping feeling, I panicked and thought it was the CVT but I noticed it was only present when the engine was cold (the blue light was on). That was at about 82,000 km. Since then the problems been more and more noticeable. But only when the car is cold. Once its warm, I dont notice anything wrong with it. No MPG issues, no vibrations or anything.

This spring I started getting check engine lights on, happened 3 times before now, all 3 times it went away by itself. I caught the code the second time: P0420 which is fuel system/catalytic converter related issue. I tried putting fuel injector cleaner in it to see if that helped, but it didn't get me anywhere, or at least it wasnt noticable. Every time the lights come on, it's when I first start the car, so it's cold and the car does its rough idle BS.

I have yet to check the spark plugs, and I've also heard the parts/computer that throttles the fuel/air mixture when it's cold might be dirty or damaged. The fuel injectors are also 6 inches above the starter so water might have caused that problem if the injectors are indeed the issue. Again my fuel economy is good and and I only have issues when the engine is cold (though it idling warm isn't as smooth as when I first bought it). I do a ridiculous amount of driving and only have owned it 2.5 years now but I dont think that itself can cause issues.

If anyone has a permanent fix for this yet, please please respond back. I know once the problem goes away, you tend not to think of this forum again. I am guilty of this, so I know first hand how easy it is to forget. Anyways, hope this helps someone diagnose there issues and that someone finally posts a solid fix.

P.S. I'm posting this on multiple threads so you might come across this again. Misfire, warning lights and starter threads so far.

Last edited by Cc152; 06-26-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spelling and whatnot
Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
"Bad gas" is a dealer excuse to get you back out the door and perhaps to another dealer for the ultimate repair. They don't like warranty work as they get paid less for that.

If it were truly bad gas you'd be getting a misfire on multiple cylinders. Since the cylinder 3 misfire recurs it is a matter of looking at things that are unique to cylinder 3, which narrows it to the spark plug, coil, and injector.

Dirty gas would clog the filter, not affect a single downstream injector. Water or other liquid impurities would affect multiple cylinders.

It is likely that the dealer will do the cheapest and easiest thing, replace the spark plug. If the problem recurs they will replace the coil, and if it recurs again the injector.

If I were diagnosing the problem I would replace the plug and swap the coil to another cylinder. If the problem didn't recur it was the plug, if it recurred on the cylinder that got the coil the coil is the problem and if it recurred on the same cylinder it is likely the injector.
Pretty good analysis. However it seems to me that a misfire code being reported by the OBD is not necessarily the result of a misfire. I'm not sure how the ECU deteramines that there is a misfire, but it must be some sensor somewhere, and it seems reasonable to think that perhaps the sensor could be malfunctioning, as could the wiring to it, or there could be a programming error in the ECU firmware, or there could be an ECU hardware malfuction. Owner did not mention sensing a misfire. A misfire in a 4 cyl engine would be rather noticeable to the ear, or uneven vibration would be rather noticeable. Also, 4 lights that have nothing to do with each other, suggests a problem with the system that turns on the light, as opposed to a problem with the engine that the system has detected.

Quick Reply: Dash warning lights keep coming on