3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Electric Power Steering error

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Electric Power Steering error

So our new Fit has been pretty much trouble free in the almost 6 months we have owned it. This week I got the error light for the electric power steering one evening. No power steering at all. I checked fuses, etc to no resolution. As I took it over to the dealer the light disappeared and all was fine. They checked it out and said their was a misalignment of the steering column sensors, but everything was checking out fine at the time. Then it happened again later that night while driving. It has now gone on and off the last couple of days. Has anyone had any issue with their EPS? Going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow (my normal dealer as we were out of town). Hopefully they will resolve this!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
no 2000 K on 2015 ex

Old 07-05-2015, 11:27 PM
Sorry to hear this. No such issue here. 3,200 miles on my EX-L.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 PM
I am at 9600 miles now and it just started happening last week. Seems like it could be isolated as there are quite a few members here with more miles than I have. Hoping the dealer will resolve it tomorrow.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Dealer went to replace the steering column because they thought the EPS issue was related to the steering column sensors. After they started to take the column out they found a torque sensor that wasn't seated correctly. Seems the factory didn't get it fully into position. That was causing the drop outs and actually causing the steering to at times feel like the brake rotors were warped. Glad it is fixed!

Old 08-13-2015, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member
Kudos to your dealer for finding the problem.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:35 PM
No issues here either and I'm close to 5k in two months.

Gluck

Old 10-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Been driving for 4 months now with absolutely NO power steering
I have taken it to my dealership three times. The first time they did a couple of diagnostic tests and when nothing turned up they told me it would cost me $190 a hour for them to go through each of the 123 diagnostic code tests to try and find the cause. It might take an hour it might take 10. They couldn't say. So I left with no satisfaction. Then a month ago I accidently came across an old letter from Honda Canada saying that I had an extended warranty to use whenever my power steering went out. But apparently it only applied to two specific codes, neither of which were the issue I was told. Now I have been informed that the only solution is to replace the power steering system rack to the tune of $3,300 parts and labour!
Honda Canada has been contacted but they are taking no responsibility for this. My dealership just tells me I should consider buying a new car. I had such hope for this car. I just can't believe that it only has a 7 year life. I would never have bought it had I known. I had heard that Honda has a reputation for cars with a long life. Feeling so helpless and discouraged. Any assistance or alternative options would be greatly appreciated. Doesn't help that I just read another thread (I think in the US though), where someone else with the same issue had complete satisfaction....Honda paid for the whole repair. Someone else spoke of reporting the issue to the Highway and Transportation department because it is a safety issue and as such Honda should be sending out a recall for it.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sadaboutmyfit
Honda Canada has been contacted but they are taking no responsibility for this. My dealership just tells me I should consider buying a new car. I had such hope for this car. I just can't believe that it only has a 7 year life...
I'm not clear. Do you have a 2008 model year Fit?

Old 10-09-2015, 08:04 AM
To TorontoBoy....Yes, my fit is 7 years old (2008) as of May this year.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
To TorontoBoy....Yes, my fit is 7 years old (2008) as of May this year.
This area of the forum is specific to the 2015/2016 Fit model and its issues. You may not get much of a response here. Try posting in the Gen 1 forum.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
I have taken it to my dealership three times. The first time they did a couple of diagnostic tests and when nothing turned up they told me it would cost me $190 a hour for them to go through each of the 123 diagnostic code tests to try and find the cause. It might take an hour it might take 10. They couldn't say. So I left with no satisfaction. Then a month ago I accidently came across an old letter from Honda Canada saying that I had an extended warranty to use whenever my power steering went out. But apparently it only applied to two specific codes, neither of which were the issue I was told. Now I have been informed that the only solution is to replace the power steering system rack to the tune of $3,300 parts and labour!
Honda Canada has been contacted but they are taking no responsibility for this. My dealership just tells me I should consider buying a new car. I had such hope for this car. I just can't believe that it only has a 7 year life. I would never have bought it had I known. I had heard that Honda has a reputation for cars with a long life. Feeling so helpless and discouraged. Any assistance or alternative options would be greatly appreciated. Doesn't help that I just read another thread (I think in the US though), where someone else with the same issue had complete satisfaction....Honda paid for the whole repair. Someone else spoke of reporting the issue to the Highway and Transportation department because it is a safety issue and as such Honda should be sending out a recall for it.
Perhaps you can find and independent mechanic who will diagnose the what is exactly problem, and fix only the problem, instead of replacing the entire steering column and rack and pinion assembly. And do it for less. Or someone who is willing to install an entire used steering column, and rack and pinion assembly.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
The rack itself is available from the aftermarket for substantially less than the dealer wants... And from a basic install point of view it doesn't look like a physically tough job.

The question is is it the rack or a sensor problem, and can it be troubleshot with regular tools?

I find the electrical under the dash of my GD to fairly poor quality, as far as how its installed have had several connector issues. Had once circuit I had to bypass because it had a short somewhere but could not find the actual shot so bypassed it with new wire. Most of the connector problems have been near or around the steering column.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:57 PM
I think they mis inform buyers that they are Implying old school.... when everything was still mechanical and hydraulic, this electrical crap is them going cheap, less space, less costs.... then selling for more = more profit.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:27 PM
09 fit steering light intermittent

just my 2cents. I have an 09 base model Honda Fit with 173,000 miles and it’s been a good car. However now I’m getting the eps light and the steering goes in and out. Gets hard to steer. I think after research it’s the EPS module. Plan to replace it myself, I think it’s located on the right side kick panel inside the car. Hope a used module I found will solve the problem as I can’t afford $800 to dealer fix it.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by Scott s.
just my 2cents. I have an 09 base model Honda Fit with 173,000 miles and it’s been a good car. However now I’m getting the eps light and the steering goes in and out. Gets hard to steer. I think after research it’s the EPS module. Plan to replace it myself, I think it’s located on the right side kick panel inside the car. Hope a used module I found will solve the problem as I can’t afford $800 to dealer fix it.
Did it solve the problem? Where is the torque sensor located?

Old 02-22-2021, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Have you looked at China-made aftermarket power steering units? They are about 1 to 2 hundred I think May not be as good quality as OEM, may not last very long, but who knows. Probably less than 1/4 the price.

One company:http://buyautoparts.com

https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2009/honda/fit/rack_and_pinion/80-30024_de

OK so that one is $5XX.00. I haven't checked the price on an OEM unit.

Last edited by nomenclator; 02-22-2021 at 10:08 AM.