3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Air conditioner stinks and Honda won't help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
If it's the "moldy sneaker" smell, it's mold in the system, and changing the filter won't help. Kool-it, or something similar, is the way to treat it. It's supposed to be injected into the cooling system's drain, but like some of you, I don't have a lift.

By examining the shop manual (this is on my current ride, a 2008 Fit), I was able to set the levers so I could spray the foam into the dashboard's defrost vents, and it would flow all the way down to the drain. It started dripping out onto the driveway about the same time it started foaming out of the defroster vents, and I was very careful not to let any of it get on the dashboard.

One can of foam, two applications a few days apart, wait overnight before restarting, and the problem went away. A few years later, I had to repeat it.

Last edited by Buck Fitty; 10-16-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
When I open the air vent to the outside, NO air conditioner, it still smells. Now would that be the air conditioning system?

Old 10-16-2015, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to say it was not the cabin filter. I pulled it out and it was clean.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Went back to the dealer and basically told him that I am not going away. He said ok, they will "do what they can if they can" Didn't like the "if". I take it in Monday. Will update when I have anything.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:58 PM
This car is only four months old, not long enough to have a filter issue.

It's most likely a defect in the drain, either a pinched hose or a piece of manufacturing debris blocking the hose, both warranty issues.

Playing with band-aid fixes delays the ultimate fix and gives the dealer an excuse to deny warranty service.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
This car is only four months old, not long enough to have a filter issue.

It's most likely a defect in the drain, either a pinched hose or a piece of manufacturing debris blocking the hose, both warranty issues.

Playing with band-aid fixes delays the ultimate fix and gives the dealer an excuse to deny warranty service.
I had those thoughts. I left in the original OEM filter since it seemed to be in good shape.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:12 AM
Well keep plugging away, it certainly makes for entertaining reading.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
I took it in. My dealer offered NOT to fix the problem which he was able to reproduce. Insisted I caused it in 3 short months and less than 2k miles. I drove a Saturn for years in the same fashion and never developed a problem with the air conditioner smelling....Contemplating my next move...

Old 10-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by FitFrack
I took it in. My dealer offered NOT to fix the problem which he was able to reproduce. Insisted I caused it in 3 short months and less than 2k miles. I drove a Saturn for years in the same fashion and never developed a problem with the air conditioner smelling....Contemplating my next move...
Ask him to show you where in the owner's manual it says not to do whatever he claims you did to cause the problem. He won't be able to find it because it isn't there.

Or, just call Honda corporate and save yourself more BS from the dealer.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
I called Honda Corp. today. I am waiting for someone to get back to me. They opened a case. They wanted to know who I took it to. I hope I don't regret telling them since that is who is near-by. I probably aced myself out of someone close to work on the car.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
I kind of regret calling corporate. It will probably ruin the relationship with my Honda dealer which is only a mile away.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:49 PM
I kind of regret calling corporate. It will probably ruin the relationship with my Honda dealer which is only a mile away.
Sounds kinda like the dealer already did the relationship ruining...

Old 10-30-2015, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tacit Blues
Sounds kinda like the dealer already did the relationship ruining...
Yes, and it is too bad. They are practically next door. I will probably take future problems to another dealer that is a lot further away.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
I rotated the tires today and noticed a tube near the catalytic converter. It seems that's the condenser tube. Really easy to get to. You probably don't even have to lift it, just drive it on some ramps to get enough clearance

Old 11-06-2015, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
It's most likely the evaporator or condensor, I can't remember which one, most of the time it's the one that's tucked under the dash. I had a similar situation in a 2009 Scion xD I had, did everything, the dealer sprayed smell-good stuff in the car and thought that'd clear it up saying they can't do anything. I finally took it to another dealer and they knew exactly what it was and replaced it under warranty, no more bad smell.

It's basically caused by not using the fresh-air on the a/c or other heat/air options. Most folks leave it on recirculate which doesn't allow the system to get rid of the extra moisture that the system builds up, which results in mold, which results in the smell you are getting.

Take it to another dealer, call Honda, but don't accept their answer.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by glhboy
It's most likely the evaporator or condensor, I can't remember which one, most of the time it's the one that's tucked under the dash. I had a similar situation in a 2009 Scion xD I had, did everything, the dealer sprayed smell-good stuff in the car and thought that'd clear it up saying they can't do anything. I finally took it to another dealer and they knew exactly what it was and replaced it under warranty, no more bad smell.

It's basically caused by not using the fresh-air on the a/c or other heat/air options. Most folks leave it on recirculate which doesn't allow the system to get rid of the extra moisture that the system builds up, which results in mold, which results in the smell you are getting.

Take it to another dealer, call Honda, but don't accept their answer.
I sure wish you knew which one was the problem. It would help when I give them a hard time. But thanks for your input.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
I sure wish you knew which one was the problem. It would help when I give them a hard time. But thanks for your input.
It's the evaporator. The evaporator is inside the car (remember from science class-evaporation is a cooling process-it absorbs heat from its surroundings). The condenser is in front of the radiator. The condenser "condenses" the R134a back into a liquid.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
A/C inadequate cooling is due to the undersized evaporator.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
It's the whole system. A bigger evap won't do a thing without a bigger expansion valve, compressor and condenser. A bigger system would weigh more, take up more space and draw more power. Not good in a car that tries to do everything cheaply and efficiently.

Of course, neither is building the AC to automatically run whenever you direct the fan onto the windshield...

Old 05-26-2016, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
...Of course, neither is building the AC to automatically run whenever you direct the fan onto the windshield...
haha... Yeah, I fixed that 'feature'.

Quick Reply: Air conditioner stinks and Honda won't help