Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Just an FYI - Honda might be trying harder than we think:

Honda Developer Studio at Honda Silicon Valley Lab

Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 AM
wow. very exciting but oh so frustrating too! thank you for your efforts. my fingers remain crossed.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Mirrorlink and HDMI Input

Hello guys, I really have been reading a ton of things about MirrorLink and to me it looks like on the case of the Honda Fit we have two options.
In the case of the MirrorLink I think HONDA simply doesn't want Mirrorlink integrated with our cars yet, my assumption is based on this video:

In this video you guys can see that in that car there is a MirrorLink "app" option in the menu, is not enough to have a mirror link capable device, but it also needs the "option" enabling this feature to be used and not just "there". So I am assuming a lot here but I think somehow if a jailbreak is possible in the future or if HONDA ever decides to do so, there will be a "mirrorlink" input option/app in our menu to select. I really think this is what is missing in our system. Is like having the speakers of a PC connected and the audio card, yes the computer is able to play music, but it needs a music player in order to play the music. I really think this is what our cars are missing.

On the other side I think this post started with somehow figuring out how to enable HDMI while driving, or disable the "rule" that doesn't allow us to use HDMI while driving. If I am not wrong this has nothing to do with mirrorlink, and while mirrorlink is more powerful because it will allow us to use the phone from our car screen. At least it would be nice to use the HDMI port to receive input while the car is being driven.

I am mentioning this because it sounds like the HDMI option seems easier to solve than the mirrorlink option, and I think we should not discard any of these two.

Both are different options but will accomplish the same purpose.

Thank you,

Old 02-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by estossala
Hello guys, I really have been reading a ton of things about MirrorLink and to me it looks like on the case of the Honda Fit we have two options.
In the case of the MirrorLink I think HONDA simply doesn't want Mirrorlink integrated with our cars yet, my assumption is based on this video:

In this video you guys can see that in that car there is a MirrorLink "app" option in the menu, is not enough to have a mirror link capable device, but it also needs the "option" enabling this feature to be used and not just "there". So I am assuming a lot here but I think somehow if a jailbreak is possible in the future or if HONDA ever decides to do so, there will be a "mirrorlink" input option/app in our menu to select. I really think this is what is missing in our system. Is like having the speakers of a PC connected and the audio card, yes the computer is able to play music, but it needs a music player in order to play the music. I really think this is what our cars are missing.

On the other side I think this post started with somehow figuring out how to enable HDMI while driving, or disable the "rule" that doesn't allow us to use HDMI while driving. If I am not wrong this has nothing to do with mirrorlink, and while mirrorlink is more powerful because it will allow us to use the phone from our car screen. At least it would be nice to use the HDMI port to receive input while the car is being driven.

I am mentioning this because it sounds like the HDMI option seems easier to solve than the mirrorlink option, and I think we should not discard any of these two.

Both are different options but will accomplish the same purpose.

Thank you,
I agree with a lot of what you said. Essentially, HDMI and/or MirrorLink are both means to the same end: increased accessibility in our car for our phone's video/navigation capability.

However, there should be a few clarifications about the pros/cons of each.

MirrorLink is only available on a subset of Android phones. Not only that, but we are talking specifically about MirrorLink 1.1, which is a small subset of that first subset. We are not talking about critical mass here, although the recent/upcoming updates for Samsung will likely increase our numbers somewhat.

In addition, MirrorLink passes video, audio, and touches, but should still allow simultaneous FM radio. The video you posted shows MirrorLink 1.0, so things may be slightly different with our set up if we get it to work. Also, I THINK we do have an app in the radio, but it's broken. On the main radio display, it's the big Link button in the bottom center. You can see how it shows a new error about the app failing to load properly when MirrorLink attempts to connect in my second video above.

If we can get MirrorLink to work, it would be a fantastic option for Android users who can use it. Again, small amount of people, though.

HDMI, on the other hand, works for a LOT more phones. I think almost all modern Android and iPhones support HDMI out via either special Lightning port splitters (iPhone) or MHL cable adapters (Android). We'd be looking at a small nest of wires in our center console connecting both USB for power and HDMI for audio/video to get this working. One major consideration is that HDMI is an input on our cars so you can't select FM radio while using it. You'd be limited to streaming through your phone while using this option without the radio. If you have a lot of data on your cell phone plan and like that option then this isn't a big deal, but it would be a big downside for a bunch of users. Additionally, as you mentioned, HDMI doesn't pass through touches so you'll have to mess with your phone to do anything.

I see HDMI as a less desirable solution. I'd still like it if we got it, but MirrorLink would mean more for me. Other people will clearly have their own priorities.

So, here is my next step: When I get home tonight or at some point this weekend, I plan to buy Sygic Car Navigation through Google Play. As far as I can tell, it's the only app out there explicitly stating that it uses MirrorLink 1.1. Within Google's 2 hour return policy, hopefully I can get it to work. I'd be willing to pay the $120 + a few extra for maps if this works. If not, no harm done and I return it.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:47 PM
to add

my samsung s5 is having lollipop DL'd as i write, however i ran across this and it suggests that a very specific functionality is required on the other side of mirroring, and i wonder (skeptical) if it's there. here's the copy/paste:

Except for Apple TV, users will have to install and set up the AllCast receiver app on the devices to link Mirror with the devices they wish to cast the screen to.

This development is a reflection of the series of apps that will hopefully follow soon in taking advantage of the new APIs in Android 5.0 which allows screen recording without requiring root access. With Lollipop still in preview stages, the ability to record, or cast your Android screen as a developer to collaborate or share developments of your projects with others should really help third-party development causes.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by tcirillo
my samsung s5 is having lollipop DL'd as i write, however i ran across this and it suggests that a very specific functionality is required on the other side of mirroring, and i wonder (skeptical) if it's there. here's the copy/paste:

Except for Apple TV, users will have to install and set up the AllCast receiver app on the devices to link Mirror with the devices they wish to cast the screen to.

This development is a reflection of the series of apps that will hopefully follow soon in taking advantage of the new APIs in Android 5.0 which allows screen recording without requiring root access. With Lollipop still in preview stages, the ability to record, or cast your Android screen as a developer to collaborate or share developments of your projects with others should really help third-party development causes.
Different service! That's not MirrorLink! I know it sounds similar, but that is fairly unrelated. :-)

Seriously, though, these companies/consortia need to just get some unified protocol and stop with all the repetitive names!

Old 02-05-2015, 02:30 PM
LOL

how ridiculous of me to think that Mirror Link and Mirror Link were the same thing!

Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by tcirillo
LOL

how ridiculous of me to think that Mirror Link and Mirror Link were the same thing!
I don't think that the service your are discussing is called MirrorLink. I Googled the phrases you put up, and it appears third-party app created by Android/CyanogenMod developer Koush called Mirror Beta. Unless you are talking about something else...?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by btonetbone

So here's my assumption. Honda's engineers tried to implement MirrorLink and simply failed. We have what are essentially the remnants of their attempt throughout the menus. They won't be upgrading our system because they just simply don't have the software engineers capable. And now I'm just hoping that this is the only engineering fail that they have in our cars...

Hopefully someone else can find out some more info based on this. I still think we are very close to getting this working.
I think, Fit came before L. Google released Android L later. If all the hardware is there, it is possible for Honda to upgrade Honda link right? What about the honda connectivity apps from playstore for android? Our car comes with next gen hondalink software instead of first gen Honda link. May be they release future gen hondalink software and stop supporting next gen.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by ritholtz
I think, Fit came before L. Google released Android L later. If all the hardware is there, it is possible for Honda to upgrade Honda link right? What about the honda connectivity apps from playstore for android? Our car comes with next gen hondalink software instead of first gen Honda link. May be they release future gen hondalink software and stop supporting next gen.
MirrorLink doesn't require Lollipop to work; it just happens that the Lollipop update for the S5's came bundled with it.

And it should be possible for Honda to issue us a software upgrade/update that fixes everything, but they won't. I posted in another thread about some emails I had with someone on the Communications team from Honda, and this person said that despite previous promises, Honda will not likely be doing any updates for us.

You SHOULD be mad. This sucks. Honda (at best) unintentionally misled many consumers and (at worst) lied to consumers and left us with poorly engineered stereos.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by btonetbone

You SHOULD be mad. This sucks. Honda (at best) unintentionally misled many consumers and (at worst) lied to consumers and left us with poorly engineered stereos.
I don't know about you all but I just got my MHL cable and can't even get the thing to work the way it is supposed to. Touch screen doesn't work to control my phone and instead of widescreen filling the whole thing, I get a stretched out letterbox aspect ratio. I can't get aha to work either. Says cannot connect to the app via Bluetooth. The free Honda app doesn't show up on the screen when I go out of park either. I have note 2 and s4. Am I doing something wrong or are my expectations too high???

Old 02-05-2015, 06:40 PM
OK, Major update! I got MirrorLink to actually WORK for a very short period of time. After about 2 minutes, it crashes my phone, though. Also, getting it to connect is essentially a matter of luck. Here's a short video demonstration of MirrorLink working:

Here's what happened. I bought the Sygic Car Navigation app from the Google Play store. It runs about $110. I figured, with a 2 hour window for returns, that would be worth it. As far as I can tell, it is the ONLY MirrorLink 1.1 app available.

I downloaded a map for my state (Georgia) and took it out to my car. I plugged in the USB, went into the Diagnostic Menu -> Unit Function -> MirrorLink. I unplugged and replugged my phone a few times until my phone's black MirrorLink screen showed up. At this point, the Honda menu was still giving back errors, but one of them said that it had assigned my phone an IP address.

Here's where it gets fun. I went back to my radio's home screen and saw a pair of arrows to he right that had never been there before. I touched them, and BAM! I saw the Sygic Car app there on my radio! When I touched it, I was able to open the app and play around. Touches work, GPS works, everything works. And I could still listen to the FM radio simultaneously.

And then, after about two minutes, the thing reset my phone and I lost connection.

At this point, I don't know what else I can do. For now, I have returned the Sygic app, since it's expensive and clearly this setup isn't ready for prime time. If someone else can make progress, though, I think we are very close.

Cheers everyone!!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:45 PM
btonetbone is right, not the same 'mirror' app at all.

there is now on youtube 'mirrorlink fail no.3' which shows modest success with Sygic nav...progress

Old 02-06-2015, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
try the drive link app. Its free and supposedly uses mirror link

Links to Google maps too so not sure what all it can do but its free so why not give it a shot...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.scm

People also complain about the crashing of this so it looks common.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by naps1saps
try the drive link app. Its free and supposedly uses mirror link

Links to Google maps too so not sure what all it can do but its free so why not give it a shot...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.scm

People also complain about the crashing of this so it looks common.
DriveLink was one of the first things I tried, but it didn't work. I'm pretty sure it uses MirrorLink 1.0, not 1.1. The link from the Play Store says my phone is incompatible, and an .apk that I downloaded from this project site for it (http://www.colmoschinxtreme.com/android/item/drivelink) Force Closes each time I open it.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:21 AM
so close yet so far

Sam s5
Lollipop w mirror link 1.1

Doesn't yet work but inconsistently recognizes phone, but w msg 'can't start app', that is, when it finds phone.

Often says no USB while connected. Sometimes dims samsung screen, cannot regain cntl w/o unplugging USB. V weird and frustrating

Old 02-06-2015, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
there is a mofified one for full mirroring but it probably wont work for s5 either. One poster said it worked when the gplay version crashed all the time. It is old so I doubt 1.1 Does the hu support the older versions of mirrorlink?

Drive Link - Full Mirroring

Last edited by naps1saps; 02-06-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Sygic Navigation v14.3.2

Hello Guys,

I really liked the approach of trying to see what is going on with mirrorlink 1.1 in our cars.
As for "link" option in our car, if you guys can see in the video he posted in the post above, that was not the option he selected in order to use mirrorlink. That was what I was referring to. It looks like they did not created an app for mirrorlink, or at least that is not it.

After I saw what he did with the Sygic Navigation app I wanted to try the same (I haven't) but I don't have the money to buy such thing. So I found the following for anybody that is interested on maybe trying to figure out what is going on with the crashing on the phone/app. Maybe it was only the GS5? I have a note 3, so I will try it whenever I have the change and see if it also shutdowns.

This is what I found: ...??????Sygic Navigation v14.3.2 Full Cracked+Maps?

Just translate it in google translate and you will find that it is a way to download the app for free, an actually somehow a higher version.

After you translate you will find the following text at the right side of the page:

Download:
The program APK + Data File + Data file for maps
ZippyShare

program APK only
ZippyShare

Click on the FIRST ZippyShare option.
This is a rar file.

(I have already tried this and it worked so hopefully it works for you guys too)

Now after unzipping the file you will find a folder called Sygic and an apk file for the Sygic app.
Go to your phone and LITERALLY find the folder named "sdcard" from the root of the phone, (not exsdcard, not sdcar0). Inside this folder you will create a folder named "Sygic" and you will paste both the apk file and the files inside the Sygic folder found in the rar file (do not just paste the sygic extracted folder inside the just created sygic folder). If you did as I said (summary)
1. go to root find sdcard folder
2. create Sygic folder inside sdcard folder
3. paste Sygic apk inside the sygic folder just created.
4. paste contents from the Sygic folder found in .rar file to the "new" sygic rar file.

Then you will install the app and the app will try to find a file that verifies the app was actually purchased. If you did it correctly then it will believe you did it right. else it will crash and it wont run because it will know you didn't pay for the app.

Once again, if you did it correctly then it will run and congratulations you will have the app running to test on the Honda fit!

I have downloaded the app and it worked! Now I have to test and see if I get the same problems as he did.

I hope you guys also do the same so we can gather as much data as possible..

Lets keep it up guys!!!! I really believe we can accomplish something here!

Old 02-07-2015, 01:57 AM
Hello

i have sygic navigation installed on my S4 and i actually purchased it, but the Sygic Car Navigation is a different app, way more expensive as it is meant to be used on car HUD (seems to me that they are the same)

if we can find the apk for the Car Navigation version that could allow more people to try it

Old 02-07-2015, 07:39 AM
OK, I'm on vacation this weekend - road trip out to Charleston! Wish I had my car doing the GPS, but that's another story. Anyway, I don't want to post too much, but here's a quick response.

Originally Posted by estossala
Hello Guys,

I really liked the approach of trying to see what is going on with mirrorlink 1.1 in our cars.
As for "link" option in our car, if you guys can see in the video he posted in the post above, that was not the option he selected in order to use mirrorlink. That was what I was referring to. It looks like they did not created an app for mirrorlink, or at least that is not it.

After I saw what he did with the Sygic Navigation app I wanted to try the same (I haven't) but I don't have the money to buy such thing. So I found the following for anybody that is interested on maybe trying to figure out what is going on with the crashing on the phone/app. Maybe it was only the GS5? I have a note 3, so I will try it whenever I have the change and see if it also shutdowns.

This is what I found: ...??????Sygic Navigation v14.3.2 Full Cracked+Maps?

Just translate it in google translate and you will find that it is a way to download the app for free, an actually somehow a higher version.

After you translate you will find the following text at the right side of the page:

Download:
The program APK + Data File + Data file for maps
ZippyShare

program APK only
ZippyShare

Click on the FIRST ZippyShare option.
This is a rar file.

(I have already tried this and it worked so hopefully it works for you guys too)

Now after unzipping the file you will find a folder called Sygic and an apk file for the Sygic app.
Go to your phone and LITERALLY find the folder named "sdcard" from the root of the phone, (not exsdcard, not sdcar0). Inside this folder you will create a folder named "Sygic" and you will paste both the apk file and the files inside the Sygic folder found in the rar file (do not just paste the sygic extracted folder inside the just created sygic folder). If you did as I said (summary)
1. go to root find sdcard folder
2. create Sygic folder inside sdcard folder
3. paste Sygic apk inside the sygic folder just created.
4. paste contents from the Sygic folder found in .rar file to the "new" sygic rar file.

Then you will install the app and the app will try to find a file that verifies the app was actually purchased. If you did it correctly then it will believe you did it right. else it will crash and it wont run because it will know you didn't pay for the app.

Once again, if you did it correctly then it will run and congratulations you will have the app running to test on the Honda fit!

I have downloaded the app and it worked! Now I have to test and see if I get the same problems as he did.

I hope you guys also do the same so we can gather as much data as possible..

Lets keep it up guys!!!! I really believe we can accomplish something here!
Originally Posted by Tompzone
Hello

i have sygic navigation installed on my S4 and i actually purchased it, but the Sygic Car Navigation is a different app, way more expensive as it is meant to be used on car HUD (seems to me that they are the same)

if we can find the apk for the Car Navigation version that could allow more people to try it
Exactly what Tompzone said. Sygic makes multiple apps, and only the expensive Car Nav app has MirrorLink 1.1.

I'd be willing to buy the app full time for my phone, but honestly I don't know enough about how all of this works to do anything beyond what I've done. I can mess with existing structures as good as anyone, but I have very limited knowledge about actual programming/engineering.

If anyone is in the Atlanta metro area with expertise enough to mess with it more hardcore, I'd be happy to meet up and act as the guinea pig. PM me and we can find a time/place to meet and see if we can make progress.

Quick Reply: Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?