Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
So following your lead I tried the drive link app with my note 2. Mirrorlink is communicating with my phone but gives the error no DAP server found. Pressing the arrows on the hu home screen gives an error smart phone not compatible instead of cannot connect via Bluetooth. This is with the USB only connected. It looks like this could be fixed somehow by adding a DAP server app if we can figure out what that is. We need a mirrorlink engineer. There is an xda thread for drive link. We should start pestering them.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by naps1saps
So following your lead I tried the drive link app with my note 2. Mirrorlink is communicating with my phone but gives the error no DAP server found. Pressing the arrows on the hu home screen gives an error smart phone not compatible instead of cannot connect via Bluetooth. This is with the USB only connected. It looks like this could be fixed somehow by adding a DAP server app if we can figure out what that is. We need a mirrorlink engineer. There is an xda thread for drive link. We should start pestering them.
Good luck! The Note 2 might not have built-in MirrorLink support, so you may have a bit of am extra hurdle trying to get MirrorLink 1.1 to work at all. When the Note 4 was released Samsung and MirrorLink co-released a press release announcing integration, but didn't mention version. You may want to see if you can somehow import from the Note 4 files from a forum such as XDA Developers.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Regarding DAP server. This is all I can really find:

DAP ECO for Servers | MirrorLink

It looks like some sort of certificate authenticating that the app is certified by MirrorLink to comply with hands free guidelines. I could be wrong... it could just be that it isn't getting a response from my phone. It would definitely be possible to develop an app that uses MirrorLink to work with our head unit but that would be a very long process -_- A year at least I'm guessing. I doubt there is a simple fix for this. The fastest way would be to hack the head unit firmware which is possible by a top hacker using JTAG or whatever then releasing an update file for us to load.

More info about developing a MirrorLink app and how it works.
http://www.mirrorlink.com/sites/defa...Developers.pdf

Found this:
MirrorLink allows any mobile app to run in the car. This is incorrect. A MirrorLink app can run in the car only if the car maker grants “trust” to that app. Each car maker has a different concept of what brands to promote, what features are safe, or what works well with each car. So, in reality, each app will be enabled depending on the individual make — or even model — of car.

QNX Auto Blog: MirrorLink misunderstood: 8 myths that need busting

Was written in 2012 so I hope this has changed.

One thing I noticed is that the car does not try to connect via mirrorlink if I am using the MHL cable. Only if I use a regular USB.

Last edited by naps1saps; 02-07-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:36 PM
Regarding DAP server. This is all I can really find:

DAP ECO for Servers | MirrorLink

It looks like some sort of certificate authenticating that the app is certified by MirrorLink to comply with hands free guidelines. I could be wrong... it could just be that it isn't getting a response from my phone. It would definitely be possible to develop an app that uses MirrorLink to work with our head unit but that would be a very long process -_- A year at least I'm guessing. I doubt there is a simple fix for this. The fastest way would be to hack the head unit firmware which is possible by a top hacker using JTAG or whatever then releasing an update file for us to load.

More info about developing a MirrorLink app and how it works.
http://www.mirrorlink.com/sites/defa...Developers.pdf

Found this:
MirrorLink allows any mobile app to run in the car. This is incorrect. A MirrorLink app can run in the car only if the car maker grants “trust” to that app. Each car maker has a different concept of what brands to promote, what features are safe, or what works well with each car. So, in reality, each app will be enabled depending on the individual make — or even model — of car.

QNX Auto Blog: MirrorLink misunderstood: 8 myths that need busting

Was written in 2012 so I hope this has changed.

One thing I noticed is that the car does not try to connect via mirrorlink if I am using the MHL cable. Only if I use a regular USB.
Yes, a lot of that has changed. You have to find info about MirrorLink 1.1. MirrorLink 1.0 is essentially the most common instance and - if it isn't specifically stated - the regularly discussed service version. If it doesn't specifically say 1.1, then it doesn't hold any bearing to our cars. MirrorLink 1.1 and 1.0 are not cross compatible and very different. Hope that helps!

Old 02-08-2015, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Have you tried any mfg specific apps that use mirrorlink? I doubt they work but its worth a try just to see if it works and its stable?

http://trainer4.android.informer.com/

also since 1.1 just came out, maybe its a phone issue that is causing it to crash.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Sygic Car Navigation

Hello guys,,, so I decided to kind of see why sygic doesn't work properly in our cars.... and I found the following:
Sygic

in this page it shows the type of car, and if it is compatible with android or apple or both!

In the HONDA section it says the android version is not! (but based on our tests, it is kind of!!) while the iphone version is!

So can any of you test it in an iphone and see what happens? this might be a good idea I thinK!

Thank you,

Old 02-09-2015, 03:46 PM
OK, a little bit more food for thought. I figured out a neat trick to identify some additional apps that are MirrorLink 1.1 certified. Essentially, MirrorLink 1.1 enabled apps need to request the following permission:

com.mirrorlink.android.service.ACCESS_PERMISSION
So, based on a quick Google search, I have found the following additional apps that I am going to play with.

- WeatherPro ($2.99 in Google Play, but listed as "Uncertified" in my MirrorLink menu. Whatever that means...)
- AUPEO! Personal Radio (free in Google Play)
- Parkopedia (free in Google Play)
- BringGo Navigation ($0.99 in Google Play, but crashes instantly on my phone so I returned and uninstalled it. It also never appeared in my list.)
- Apparently, the Samsung Keyboard 4.0 also requests that permission, which is interesting. It also does not appear in my app list, though. My guess is that since it isn't an app that you open and use on its own, this is intentional.

This still doesn't address any of the weirdness about getting MirrorLink to kick in in the first place, but it gives us a few more items with which to play. Hopefully something works! It's a shame that the one additional navigation app failed for me, but this gives me a slight more bit of hope. I can't imagine the apps listed up top being terribly useful on a day-to-day basis, but I see this as a potential learning opportunity.

Does anyone on here have any of the other MirrorLink 1.1 enabled phones (HTC One M8, a few other HTC phones, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, and a few Sony phones)? If you'd be willing to test some of these cheap/free apps and report whether they work, it could be very helpful!

Old 02-10-2015, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure bringgo is 1.1 yet. They had an article in October stating they were in the process of getting certified but I never saw any info that it had been completed. Might be why its crashing like drive link? also I think drive link is a Samsung app so would hope it would be updated soon with 1.1 finally making an appearence.

I'm going to wait till lollipop is pushed to my v-s4

Old 02-10-2015, 04:51 AM
i have a samsung gs5 with lollipop (and thus ML 1.1). i'll try the apps

Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 AM
I tried out all of the apps listed yesterday, and here's what happened.

- Getting MirrorLink to actually kick in is still a crazy bit of guess-and-check. The method I've been trying is to unplug and replug the USB cable into my phone while the head unit is in the MirrorLink diagnostic menu. One time, MirrorLink kicked in without needing to do any of that. We need help getting this to happen reliably!
- WeatherPro worked perfectly. It identified me in Atlanta (probably my phone GPS) and I could scroll through the screens.
- Parkopedia turned in to a blank screen. Nothing happened. I'm not sure what the app is supposed to do, but my guess is that a blank screen isn't the intended outcome.
- Aupeo wanted me to register, and I didn't. Screen stayed up and it looked like it would have worked.
- Skoda MFA Pro (which I didn't discuss yesterday, but uses the same permission) - This app opened up, but none of it's diagnostics worked. This isn't surprising to me since it's developed specifically for another vehicle manufacturer.

However, I did notice one major thing that is going to potentially be a huge hurdle. When I opened the Skoda app, I wanted to see if it would read my MPH or anything else while moving. The second I took my car out of Park (but not moving), the head unit turned blue and showed white text reading that these actions/apps would not work while in motion. I did some more playing around, and all of the MirrorLink apps were grayed out while out of Park. If I had any app open, it wouldn't be visible any longer due to the blue screen. So this is fairly discouraging. I don't know whether any apps have the ability to override this "safety" feature or if this is hard-coded in by Honda.

On the plus side, I played around with everything for about 15 minutes and neither the phone nor the head unit crashed. One MirrorLink kicked in, everything was stable. This makes me wonder about my experience with Sygic Car Navigation the other day - did the app cause my phone to crash, or was it some interference with Honda, or something else? Or just a random fluke? Frustratingly, I can't re-buy the app and get another refund, so it's going to take someone else to figure that out. And, if someone else tries, please take your car out of Park and see whether or not you get booted to a blue safety screen.

Keep trying everyone! Post your results below.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:34 AM
ng

i promised to try the mirrorlink-friendly apps

samsung gs5
lollipop
ML 1.1

none worked. i could not 'launch' or establish the connection (usb) with any of them.

sorry

Old 02-13-2015, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by tcirillo
i promised to try the mirrorlink-friendly apps

samsung gs5
lollipop
ML 1.1

none worked. i could not 'launch' or establish the connection (usb) with any of them.

sorry
Bummer! Thanks for trying. It really is random as to whether or not it kicks in...I wish I had a more reliable method other than staring at that damn MirrorLink diagnostic menu while plugging/unplugging the USB cable from my phone.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure what software Honda is using in their Fit system. Honda released 2016 Pilot details. They specifically mentioned about system with 8" screen with faster processor implemented using android.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
started the app on the phone then I would go to mirror link in settings and back and the arrow would appear quite consistantly. But this was with my note 2 and drive link. Hope that helps?

I guess 1.1 is part of the phone though so it may not be true to yours.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:25 PM
started the app on the phone then I would go to mirror link in settings and back and the arrow would appear quite consistantly. But this was with my note 2 and drive link. Hope that helps?

I guess 1.1 is part of the phone though so it may not be true to yours.
Were you in park? Did you have any apps on the new Honda menu that you could play with?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by btonetbone
Were you in park? Did you have any apps on the new Honda menu that you could play with?
All I get is the message that my phone is not compatible because I don't have 1.1.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Another update! I figured out how to get MirrorLink to more reliably kick in. Rather than focus on the head unit and cable, I tried to open one of the MirrorLink 1.1 apps (Aupeo and WeatherPro) on my phone. That seems to work on a more regular basis: once the app opens, MirrorLink kicks in and I can select new menu that appears in the head unit. The bad news is that it still doesn't always work and I had my phone crash/restart once again. I also still can't find any way to keep any apps open after taking the car out of park.

Does anyone with a MirrorLink 1.1 enabled phone want to try purchasing the Sygic Car Navigation app and try this now? Here's what we need to figure out:

- Can we get MirrorLink to turn on reliably by simply opening Sygic?
- Do navigation apps such as Sygic have the ability to override Honda's security setting? Or is this something baked in by Honda that we can't work around?

Unfortunately, since I already purchased/returned Sygic, I'm ineligible for another return, and don't want to spend over $100 on something that might not work at all.

Cheers!
Ivan

Old 02-16-2015, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Theoretically, apps with the "drive" CCC certification should be able to be viewed when the vehicle is in motion.

Mirrorlink 1.1 protocol brings third-party apps to in-car screens | PCWorld

Edit: Just as Apple's announcement of CarPlay put many auto manufacturer's plans for Siri Eyes Free on hold (except for Ford Sync 3 in 2016), I suspect Google's announcement of Android Auto shut down any MirrorLink development not only for auto manufacturers, but for phone manufacturers as well. If MirrorLink has any future at all, it's for Nokia/Windows and Microsoft's Windows for cars.

Last edited by Fitmo; 02-16-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Theoretically, apps with the "drive" CCC certification should be able to be viewed when the vehicle is in motion.

Mirrorlink 1.1 protocol brings third-party apps to in-car screens | PCWorld

Edit: today is the last day to get Sygic BOGO Sygic | Bringing life to maps
The basic Sygic app does not have MirrorLink capabilities. You would need to try the Sygic Car Navigation app. Here's a link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ic.incar&hl=en

Old 02-16-2015, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by btonetbone
The basic Sygic app does not have MirrorLink capabilities. You would need to try the Sygic Car Navigation app. Here's a link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ic.incar&hl=en
Thanks! I'll remove my BOGO line.

Quick Reply: Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?