Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry for the double post, but CN_Fit, do you know if the mirroring enabling adapter also prevents you from using the rearview and mirror cameras? As far as I can tell, the signals that tell the HU to display those video feeds comes through the CAN lines.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by CN_Fit
Yes sir. Though it makes you pissy as you can't use steering commands to switch songs and your phone gets _hot_ since the screen is on all the time. But it works. Here in CN they're selling a harness that plugs between unit and existing wiring and has three wires on that harness soldered together. I'll post some photos soon.
Hey, as long as i can control volume, and use the phone buttons for calls thats fine with me. Or do you lose the control of these buttons too?

Old 06-06-2015, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys - just checked and Sygic is having a summer sale. You can pickup the Premium Sygic GPS and etc functions all at -50% off. If you have been thinking about getting it, now would be a good time to save a bunch.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Hey guys - just checked and Sygic is having a summer sale. You can pickup the Premium Sygic GPS and etc functions all at -50% off. If you have been thinking about getting it, now would be a good time to save a bunch.

Interesting, link? In the google app store?

Old 06-06-2015, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Interesting, link? In the google app store?
i have an iphone, but if you open the free Sygic app, there is a sygic market inside the app where you can purchase a la carte the premium features. there's a big banner that says -50% off with prices already deducted

Old 06-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by TofuShop
For Android, the Mirror Link app is not on sale. I emailed them and asked because I didnt see Sygic Car Navigation on sale. All of their other apps are on sale and thats a pretty good deal. I bought the iPhone app for my wifes phone for offline maps. Never had a problem with it.

Just wanted to make sure anyone looking for the Mirror Link app didnt end up buying the wrong version.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Hey, as long as i can control volume, and use the phone buttons for calls thats fine with me. Or do you lose the control of these buttons too?
Sorry for such delay in reply, been way too busy lately.

Bt function for phone audio and media is separate. For example on your android phone you can disable media passthrough and leave audio enabled.
So yes, whilenyou cannot use steering controls to skip songs you would be able to use phone commands.
But..

What I've found so far is that with music playing, maps running and bt connected my 1.5A charger in lighter socket isn't able to keep the phone charged so the battery eventually dies, after some 600 km.

Most importantly, phone gets hot. Above conditions were while phone was in the cupholder and ac vent was directed at it.

Photos of the harness and the pinout:
Name:  34HXscR.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  923.3 KB

Name:  l5nXqPv.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  916.5 KB

Last edited by CN_Fit; 06-10-2015 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Photo embed
Old 06-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Sorry for such delay in reply, been way too busy lately.

Bt function for phone audio and media is separate. For example on your android phone you can disable media passthrough and leave audio enabled.
So yes, whilenyou cannot use steering controls to skip songs you would be able to use phone commands.
But..

What I've found so far is that with music playing, maps running and bt connected my 1.5A charger in lighter socket isn't able to keep the phone charged so the battery eventually dies, after some 600 km.

Most importantly, phone gets hot. Above conditions were while phone was in the cupholder and ac vent was directed at it.

Okay, to reiterate so I understand clearly, can you confirm..

1. I can control phone call volume from the steering wheel but not change source or skip tracks/songs

2. I can start, end, and use voice commands without any issue?

3. USB off the HU is not adequate to keep the battery charged while multitasking various functions of the phone.

I too have noticed that the charge amperage off the HU USB socket is not enough. When i use my mirror MHL adapter with my Note 4 i see that the mirror function constantly drops out as it is unable to power it. It is dropping out because the system is going into overload protection to prevent failure. If I connect the MHL adapters USB A type power cord into an external charger port capable of 2.1 A it does not drop out at all.

One can easily by a Y adapter that has a female USB A type, and two male USB A types. One will go to the HU port for data transfer, and the other for power needs to a dedicated power source. You can even make one yourself if need be. Common issue for higher powered devices. This will prevent your phone battery from dying when mirroring your phone.

Final question, where the hell can I buy this harness, I want to see it work. can you post a video possibly?

Old 06-11-2015, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Okay, to reiterate so I understand clearly, can you confirm..

1. I can control phone call volume from the steering wheel but not change source or skip tracks/songs

2. I can start, end, and use voice commands without any issue?

3. USB off the HU is not adequate to keep the battery charged while multitasking various functions of the phone.

I too have noticed that the charge amperage off the HU USB socket is not enough. When i use my mirror MHL adapter with my Note 4 i see that the mirror function constantly drops out as it is unable to power it. It is dropping out because the system is going into overload protection to prevent failure. If I connect the MHL adapters USB A type power cord into an external charger port capable of 2.1 A it does not drop out at all.

One can easily by a Y adapter that has a female USB A type, and two male USB A types. One will go to the HU port for data transfer, and the other for power needs to a dedicated power source. You can even make one yourself if need be. Common issue for higher powered devices. This will prevent your phone battery from dying when mirroring your phone.

Final question, where the hell can I buy this harness, I want to see it work. can you post a video possibly?
1. Tbh haven't tried yet but it should be possible as the bt input is separate and if handsfree works, this should work too. Will test out but sunday probably.

2. I haven't set up any voice commands on the hu as I'm not actively using it at all. Will test out but again, this is hu related and if the phone is connected through bt too it should work independently.

3. Maybe I wasn't clear. I use MHL cable and the usb cable is connected to additional cigarette lighter socket that is rated at 1.5 A. Newer smartphones selfregulate charging so if the phone is getting hot it will decrease amps. Same goes for the charge percentage, higher it is less amps it will take. While 2.1 A is ok as far as potential charger quality goes, I really doubt it will take anithing more than 1.5~1.6 at max charging rate.

I guess actual difference between mirrorlink and hdmi is that hdmi runs on both screens which pushes GPU on the phone harder while on mirrorlink output goes only to hu screen.

I did use screen standby app from playstore to disable the phone screen (root) but the only thing it does is it puts black pic on the screen and minimizes the brightness.

Nevertheless, so far I have extensively tested how it works for me and it has previously mentioned drawbacks, heat and charge rate.

I can probably send you the cable eventualy if we can both be bothered, even free of charge as it is only some 5 bucks here. It is probably better if you can take a pic of the exsiting cable from the same perspective so I can see the pinout. You'd have to take out the hu though.

I can't be bothered with a video now and there's really no need, it just works. I'm having a cvt so both D and handbrake permissives are overridden.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ductapemaster
Sorry for the double post, but CN_Fit, do you know if the mirroring enabling adapter also prevents you from using the rearview and mirror cameras? As far as I can tell, the signals that tell the HU to display those video feeds comes through the CAN lines.
The cameras are separate inputs and while I don't know how the whole thing acrually works (you seem to be quite clear what is happening there) I can say that it works. At least rv camera, we don't have linewatch cameras available in any trim unfortunately. I'd need a picture of the cable socket that plugs in the unit to be clear on the mirror cam part.
This cable works on all hondas here that have the touchscreen unit installed.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:07 AM

I can probably send you the cable eventually if we can both be bothered, even free of charge as it is only some 5 bucks here. It is probably better if you can take a pic of the exsiting cable from the same perspective so I can see the pinout. You'd have to take out the hu though.

I can't be bothered with a video now and there's really no need, it just works. I'm having a cvt so both D and handbrake permissives are overridden.
I have a 6MT EX. If there was a way for me to take a picture of the connector without removing the HU I'll look to do that this weekend. As DuctTapeMaster stated there are CANBUS lines tied to the HU that link the speed sensor to it. Even if you were able to disable the switch inputs, I think for us in the States and Canada at least, your adapter may not work.

FYI, the CANBUS feeds the HU speed sensor data likely for the SVC feature of the audio volume. Since it was already piped in there the software is also using it as a trigger to disable mirroring via HDMI.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just confirmed MirrorLink functionality working flawlessly out of the box on my 2015 EX 6MT and Galaxy S6. I was able to use Sygic to navigate while driving with full touch functionality. It even had decent screen refresh rates over the USB wire.

So maybe the trick isn't hardware related...

Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mister2
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just confirmed MirrorLink functionality working flawlessly out of the box on my 2015 EX 6MT and Galaxy S6. I was able to use Sygic to navigate while driving with full touch functionality. It even had decent screen refresh rates over the USB wire.

So maybe the trick isn't hardware related...
I too use Sygic, yet to buy the full version still using the trial. What you will notice is the USB port will drain the battery and not provide enough amperage to keep the battery charged. You will need a Y adapter, one for power, the other for signal to the HU. I agree, the Sygic app is pretty nice. Expensive, but nice. Google maps is great too because its free, but its not mirrorlink compatible, and the HDMI port has tons of bricks on it to make it viable as you have read.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:12 PM
I too use Sygic, yet to buy the full version still using the trial. What you will notice is the USB port will drain the battery and not provide enough amperage to keep the battery charged. You will need a Y adapter, one for power, the other for signal to the HU. I agree, the Sygic app is pretty nice. Expensive, but nice. Google maps is great too because its free, but its not mirrorlink compatible, and the HDMI port has tons of bricks on it to make it viable as you have read.
Ahh, I use a wireless charging dock.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:41 PM
The cameras are separate inputs and while I don't know how the whole thing acrually works (you seem to be quite clear what is happening there) I can say that it works. At least rv camera, we don't have linewatch cameras available in any trim unfortunately. I'd need a picture of the cable socket that plugs in the unit to be clear on the mirror cam part.
This cable works on all hondas here that have the touchscreen unit installed.
Hi this looks promising. Where could I buy this harness? I just bought a 15 Civic Coupe Si and I would love to use Google maps instead of Sygic. I also would like to build a Raspberry Pi for my car. I wish Honda didn't lock out Hdmi while driving. I feel most people would be responsible and not watch movies while driving.

Last edited by Kevman83; 06-13-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Kevman83
Hi this looks promising. Where could I buy this harness? I just bought a 15 Civic Coupe Si and I would love to use Google maps instead of Sygic. I also would like to build a Raspberry Pi for my car. I wish Honda didn't lock out Hdmi while driving. I feel most people would be responsible and not watch movies while driving.
Agreed. But corporate idiocy and high level blindless will prevent this from happening. I still have my doubt the harness will work.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:31 AM

Old 06-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Even with this working, it would only be available for android phones ;(

I wish there was something out there available for iPhones

Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kevman83
Pm me, I'm quite busy but might be able to send out one to you for free after I check the shipping t&c.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Pm me, I'm quite busy but might be able to send out one to you for free after I check the shipping t&c.
PM sent.
I'm also very interested in one.

Quick Reply: Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?