How is the sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 PM
How is the sound system?

Wondering how the sound system is with your 2015 Fit? Also, how is the USB and Bluetooth?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 PM
For me, a total non-audiophile, the sound is perfectly fine. I've had to tweak the bass and treble some to give the sound a little more oomph and to make it more crisp, but otherwise, it's good enough. I haven't had a chance to use the USB yet, but after having the car for a few days, I can safely say that the bluetooth is a little wonky. It works, in so much as it plays audio every time, but depending on when my phone pairs with it and at what point my Pandora or Spotify start up, the artist/title info may or may not display properly.

I don't know if this is a common occurrence with bluetooth, if it's specific to the Fit, or if it's specific to just my car.

Edited to add: Since getting the car, I've started using Trigger (from my SGS3) to change my phone settings when it pairs with the car's bluetooth, and I had to disable both of my music apps from starting automatically because the bluetooth doesn't want to play nicely unless the timing is just so. I know that I, myself, can be kind of particular when it comes to certain things, so I can easily forgive the car for being a little persnickety too. :P

Last edited by spaghetina; 09-06-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
The sound system is adequate. Both USB and Bluetooth work good with iPhone, USB definitely sounds better, but not by much IMO. My main issue is that most of the time (but not all of the time), the iPhone resets its music each time I start in the car. I'll get it and give it an album to play via the steering wheel voice button working with Siri, but if I get out of the car to make a quick stop and start it back up again, the music will go back to just playing all of my songs in alphabetical order. You don't know how many damn times I've heard the song A-Punk by Vampire Weekend, since it's the first song alphabetically on my iPhone.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:07 AM
I was disappointed with the sound of the factory system (no low end at all). I did not want to change the head unit because I read that you may lose some of the hands free features of the car. I upgraded the 4 speakers in the doors and added an amp that I put in the spare tire compartment and ran a small 10" sub. All of these were Rockford Fosgate speakers. I must say that it sounds 100x better, even with the factory stereo. It gave the factory head unit just enough punch without rattling the doors off the car.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by eCity Fit
I was disappointed with the sound of the factory system (no low end at all). I did not want to change the head unit because I read that you may lose some of the hands free features of the car. I upgraded the 4 speakers in the doors and added an amp that I put in the spare tire compartment and ran a small 10" sub. All of these were Rockford Fosgate speakers. I must say that it sounds 100x better, even with the factory stereo. It gave the factory head unit just enough punch without rattling the doors off the car.

^ This sounds like a great idea... where did you mount the sub and how big of an amp did you use?

I have the basic 4-speaker system in my LX. It sounds okay but I do want to improve it. I see two little grills on the dash. I haven't pryed them open to look but, I assume they are just blank holes that are filled with tweeters on the EX's... if that is in fact the case I definitely would like to install some tweeters.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:46 AM
JasonFIT what model do you have LX or EX?? Most of the guys commenting own the EX. But the LX is different and that's the one I plan on getting.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:55 AM
I got the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X1 amp. It is a super small 300watt amp. I ran it to a very small sub box in the hatch (Rockford Fosgate Punch P2D4-10). Installed 4 new 6.5" speakers in the doors (Rockford Fosgate Punch P165). I left the small tweeters in the front dash. Again, it really sounds good!

Last edited by eCity Fit; 09-07-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Fat_man
^ This sounds like a great idea... where did you mount the sub and how big of an amp did you use?

I have the basic 4-speaker system in my LX. It sounds okay but I do want to improve it. I see two little grills on the dash. I haven't pryed them open to look but, I assume they are just blank holes that are filled with tweeters on the EX's... if that is in fact the case I definitely would like to install some tweeters.
This is what I would like to know. Is the wiring already there for those with the lx? If so, is it connected to the head unit? Also, what size speakers can be installed in the provided space?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:28 AM
The sound system is good enough. It's not as a good as my Pilot, but it gets me through my commute and I primarily use the USB iPod play back. I didn't expect much from a car that is 19k.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by flotownj
JasonFIT what model do you have LX or EX?? Most of the guys commenting own the EX. But the LX is different and that's the one I plan on getting.
Checking out the LX and Ex tomorrow. Basically whatever one the wife wants.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by flotownj
Checking out the LX and Ex tomorrow. Basically whatever one the wife wants.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:36 AM
How is the Sound System? Answer

I have found the sound system to be sonically pleasing; I am an audio and video engineer, editor, producer, etc. I am used to working with professional equipment, and I have some excellent gear at home.

I do not, however, find the display/control as pleasing. Selection of folders playing off of the USB, selecting sources, etc. are cumbersome. Even using the steering wheel control poses some difficulty.

In addition, the USB slot accesses only MP3's and AIFF files. I would like it to accept full resolution .wav files, as these are the best for sound. If you are critical of sound like I am, I suggest ripping CDs and other digital audio sources into I-Tunes at the 320 kbs bitrate. I have found this to be acceptable to me and compatible with the Fit's sound system.

Bluetooth is good enough for my needs, but I am told that the infotainment system is specifically compatible with the iPhone 5, which is what I have. If my phone is the MOST compatible, Honda has a problem. I am finding that I have to re-access the contact list on my phone sporadically. When the contact list is intact, the system works well. When I receive incoming calls, the display clearly shows me who it is or if it's a NO ID Caller.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:30 PM
I have an EX-L that has two tweeters up front in dash. You could call Crutchfield. I spoke with a tech there and he was very helpful. This is what their website says about the front tweeters: "Dash: TWEETER - no aftermarket tweeter matches your factory tweeter exactly. Call us for details about custom-mounting tweeters in your vehicle’s available space."

Old 09-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by avmannick
In addition, the USB slot accesses only MP3's and AIFF files. I would like it to accept full resolution .wav files, as these are the best for sound. If you are critical of sound like I am, I suggest ripping CDs and other digital audio sources into I-Tunes at the 320 kbs bitrate. I have found this to be acceptable to me and compatible with the Fit's sound system.
Why .WAV? Why not use a lossless codec like FLAC? You really save some space with it but keep the same fidelity. Only issue is many devices don't support lossless codecs.

I hate when devices don't accept FLAC and I have to downgrade to 320kbps MP3.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:43 PM
EdT
I agree with those who called the sound fine/adequate (EX model). USB works, but you're going to take your eyes off the road to navigate the folder tree (I haven't seen a folder tree in a long time). I have music on a flash drive and set it to play at random, then just use the steering wheel control to skip songs.

if you connect your phone to usb you'll get a charge but it's low voltage. If you want a reasonably quick charge you still need a 2v usb adapter for the power jack.

Bluetooth works pretty well on my SGNote 2. Some drop outs but that's nothing new, could be my phone's fault. I was impressed that the song info displays on the screen when playing music over bluetooth. The radio's built in pandora app works ok as well.

Some of the screens have a small tab on the right to bring up a list. The tab is hard to press in a moving car. But here's a tip - just tap anywhere in the area of the screen where the song title is, the list pops up. Tap that same area again and the list slides down.

Last edited by EdT; 09-07-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by eCity Fit
I got the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X1 amp. It is a super small 300watt amp. I ran it to a very small sub box in the hatch (Rockford Fosgate Punch P2D4-10). Installed 4 new 6.5" speakers in the doors (Rockford Fosgate Punch P165). I left the small tweeters in the front dash. Again, it really sounds good!
I was shopping around on Crutchfield, and I feel like the P165's look pretty solid as well. I'm going to order some today, along with 2 pairs of Metra 72-7800 speaker harnesses. What all was involved in the door panel removal? Did you end up needing to use a speaker mounting bracket?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:05 PM
On my LX, it is just fine. far better than any of my GM products

Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 AM
I am happy with the sound in the car. I like having the bass at +1 and the treble at -1. Just personal preference. I've been in a lot of cars that are very quiet and this gets loud enough for me, which if it could go louder, I would want to get it there. lol I listen to all types of music and don't have any problems with it at all. It sounds much better than the 2012 Ford Fiesta that I had.

For a stock stereo, I don't have any problems with it at all.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by JasonFIT
Wondering how the sound system is with your 2015 Fit? Also, how is the USB and Bluetooth?
This is one thing I am really going to miss from my '06 Civic EX. I have a 350 watt system, with XM/Aux, and 7 speakers, including a sub woofer. That was the standard setup for the car.

sigh.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:55 AM
m_x
It's fine/adequate. Won't turn any heads at a traffic lights, but it's possible to rattle the mirrors a little bit.

One weird thing that may only happen to me is that when making a phone call, the ringing sound seems to bounce off the driver side window and blast my left ear. I don't have sensitive ears and sometimes it's really uncomfortable, but only in my left ear next to the window. If the window is open, there is no problem.

I've played with the fade & balance, but just got in the habit of turning the ringing way down and turning it back up when the other party answers. I really think it is the acoustics of the window/windshield. I don't notice it when just listening to music, only when I get the ringing tone on an outgoing call.

Quick Reply: How is the sound system?