Honda addresses Honda Link issues with iOS8

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by simonx314
Honda is outright lying. iOS 8 was announced on June 2nd, and the beta was available that day. Their engineers had over three months to test compatibility.

"Apple has recently announced the introduction of its new iPhone 6"
This has nothing to do with the iPhone 6, it is deceptive to link this issue with the new iPhone, as the issue also affects the two year old iPhone 5.

"We have learned if you upgrade your iPhone 5/5c/5s with iOS 8"

What if I upgrade my iPhone 4S to iOS 8? Honda isn't even fully aware of the affected devices!

"We will ... begin our design and certification processes"

Honda, why didn't you begin designing a solution three months ago! You had plenty of warning that iOS 8 was coming. Was it a big surprise that there are compatibility issues with an operating system that your car was not designed to interface with?

Android Auto can not come soon enough. Honda is great at making cars, not so much at writing software.
It is unfortunate that Honda is behind the times with Carplay/Android Auto. I am still holding out on buying mine. From my research, the only car company that states that they are still on track for releasing Android Auto and Carplay in 2014 is Hyundai.

I have been avid Honda car owner since my 1987 CRX SI but it looks like Honda is dropping the ball with smartphones compatibility overall. It would be a shame to buy from a different car company but hey I know what I want. When I finally do pull the trigger, the more innovative company will get my 20k, all my repairs (I go to the dealership for repairs......sorry Piazza Honda in Philly) and probably all future car purchases. Let it be a lesson to Honda, this is how you lose customers.

2008 Honda Fit
145k miles

Old 09-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Honda is outright lying. iOS 8 was announced on June 2nd, and the beta was available that day. Their engineers had over three months to test compatibility.

This has nothing to do with the iPhone 6, it is deceptive to link this issue with the new iPhone, as the issue also affects the two year old iPhone 5.

They didn't even begin designing a solution yet???! They had three months to test and begin designing a solution. The purpose of iOS beta's is to allow app developers, such as Honda, to ensure compatibility just like every beta for over five years. Was it a big surprise to Honda that there are compatibility issues with an operating system that their app was not designed to work with? It would take less than one hour to install the iOS 8 beta then take a drive around the block. It is shameful that Honda was too lazy to do this.

Android Auto can not come soon enough. Honda is great at making cars, but terrible at making software.

Almost every major app I have had an update to address compatibility with ios 8 by the first day the final version was released.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Exclamation

They didn't even begin designing a solution yet???! They had three months to test and begin designing a solution. The purpose of iOS beta's is to allow app developers, such as Honda, to ensure compatibility just like every beta for over five years. Was it a big surprise to Honda that there are compatibility issues with an operating system that their app was not designed to work with? It would take less than one hour to install the iOS 8 beta then take a drive around the block. It is shameful that Honda was too lazy to do this.

Android Auto can not come soon enough. Honda is great at making cars, but terrible at making software.
Its clear you do not know the amount of work it takes to get something moving in a large organization. And the testing and certification process involved past the development. Then the logistics of rolling it out to the dealers.

Maybe back the throttles down a few and lay off the afterburners a bit. Be happy that they do not rush things. Quality over Speed Because I am sure you'll be just as quick to hang them if they rush it out to public and there is a problem with it.

I can assure you Honda is not Lazy!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by CarbonCorsa
...Quality over Speed...
So "delay" is now equivalent to "quality?"

It seems that most other companies that interface with iOS have somehow managed to release updates to coincide with the new iOS release. Most of these companies are dwarfed by Honda.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
So "delay" is now equivalent to "quality?"

It seems that most other companies that interface with iOS have somehow managed to release updates to coincide with the new iOS release. Most of these companies are dwarfed by Honda.
But its not always cut and dry like that.

Smaller companies might only have a few people. So it moves fast. Or they have one system to update.
Honda has a few systems to update in a few different markets. Then once the software is fixed, It has to get tested, Then approved, Then go thru the legal screen, Then rolled out to dealers.
And its takes I'd say about 150 people to get half that done. Those 150 people are also just not standing idle waiting for work. They have other projects also.

There is no magic wand to wave. I'm sure they are working on it.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Great discussion I got my 2015 Fit EX-L CVT exactly two weeks ago today - and I am really enjoying driving the car. I originally ordered the car with the Navi (my wife loves her 2013 CRV EX-L Navi). But 2 1/2 months after I ordered the Fit, the dealer wanted to refund our deposit since they just didn't know when Honda would deliver the car. So, I got the EX-L without the Navi instead.

I knew about the HondaLink Navigation option, so I thought that would be an acceptable alternative. But after activting my wife's old iPhone 5 which AT&T upgraded to iOS8, and getting the HDMI/Lightning adapter, I have since learned that HondaLink doesn't work with that OS. But just this afternoon, I was able to get the car to interface with my iPad 4 running iOS 7.0.3. Yeah! So, I am able to view & connect with Aha through the car system. I'm hoping Honda can resolve the iOS8 issue soon. But I'm also hoping for CarPlay and/or Android Auto in the not too distant future.

Last edited by FitIam; 10-21-2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Correction/clarification
Old 02-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Update

I just wanted to provide an update on my issues with regards to HondaLink connectivity. After continuing problems connecting to HondaLink, back in December, 2014 I took my car to a second Honda dealer for a second opinion. They found that there was a problem with the internal wiring harness for the display console on my Fit. So, they replaced the the internal wiring harness. However, I discovered that there were still some issues with my iPhone connecting to HondaLink.

After bringing the service technician back to the car, through some experimentation we discovered some important issues that affected connectivity with HondaLink.

What we found is that a conflict occurs when you have multiple Apple devices connected to the system at the same time. In my case, the conflicting device was an iPod that I keep connected to the USB port in the console. Specifically, we found that if the iPod was connected to the system BEFORE the iPhone is connected, HondaLink was not able to connect to the iPhone. But if the iPhone was connected before the iPod, HondaLink was able to connect to the iPhone. However, you would then have difficulty connecting to the iPod.

I spoke to the HondaLink support folks and they confirmed that the Honda system has difficulty connecting to multiple iOS devices. So, that even if you choose iPod as the source device, you end up connecting to the iPhone, rather than the iPod device.

This also seems to cause some issues when connecting to Pandora when using the iPhone as the source and the iPod both physically connected to the system. Lately, I've had more success connecting to Pandora using an Android (Galaxy S4) device as a source, rather than my iPhone, because this seems to eliminate the conflict. I prefer to use the Galaxy as the Audio source and the iPhone as my phone source, since I have access to both devices. This seems to work well, and avoids the conflict with the iPod.

I'd be interested to see if others have had similar experiences.

Cheers,

Old 04-25-2015, 05:50 PM
Latest news

Honda just released an iOS 8 update to the Nav app. Took them six (6) months to get it out there.So far, it has been pretty stable. As for HondaLink, hands-free dialing no longer works with iOS 8.3. The in-car technology folks gave the same lame excuse they always do: "We just got the new iOS and we need to start testing it." We all know that's BS. Given the amount of time it took them to certify the Nav app with iOS 8 (three software updates ago), I have little hope that we'll see a dealer-authorized software/firmware update anytime soon to fix this particular issue. And it appears that CarPlay will be offered only in future model years -- doubtful that upgrades will be available to 2014 and 2015 owners. So, we're left to just muddle along the best we can. The good news is that Siri works like a charm for making phone calls and sending text messages. There's also the option of purchasing a third-party CarPlay system (Alpine and Pioneer make them), but they start at about $600. In all honesty, I really feel like Honda ripped me off big time.