USB folder/file size limits on 2015 fits

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:35 PM
USB folder/file size limits on 2015 fits

Hey there everyone, long time lurker but finally got a profile when I couldn't find the answer to a question I have. I got my 2015 red Fit EX and purchased the Sandisk USB that people on here recommended (
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit™ CZ43 32GB USB 3.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive Up To 130MB/s Read- SDCZ43-032G-G46: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit™ CZ43 32GB USB 3.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive Up To 130MB/s Read- SDCZ43-032G-G46: Computers & Accessories
)
It's small enough to fit behind the USB door. Anyways, my question pertains to the folder or file size that hondalink will display when the USB is plugged in. From my research the only thing I can find on this site pertains the the 2nd generation honda fits and says that you can display up to 700 files or something like this.

I have put my iTunes library (30gb) onto the USB but the car will only display my artists down until about letter F. The rest of the artists don't seem to appear although I know they are on the USB. I have referred to the owners manual and can't find anything indicating a folder limit there either. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Wow that's a pretty nifty drive. I don't know the answer to your question, but there might be a roundabout way to get it to work if there is a limit. If you have an android phone you could purchase a USB OTG cable which will allow you to plug a USB drive into your phone. From there you can play the music files via your phone which you connect to your Fit (aux/bluetooth). Or of course you could just keep your files on your phone and play them from there.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Wow I bought that jump drive w/o realizing it was recommended here on FitFreak. It is a great one. I just started using it this week, but I've only got 11GB on it. I'm pretty sure it displayed all the artists since I played some Radiohead.

Good luck finding your answer!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Try formatting the USB, I have USB 2.0 and I have no issues with about 10gbs of songs.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:28 AM
So I made sure the format of the USB was FAT32 and verified the USB and did a repair through disk utilitys on my macbook. Everything checked out fine. Does anyone else have any clues on this? It's annoying having all of my iTunes library on my USB but only being able to access 1/3 of it. Any help is kindly appreciated.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Some troubleshooting tips to try...
  • Create a broader folder tree to reduce size of any given folder.
  • Temporarily remove all artists starting with F through say M to see if there is a corrupt or invalid character that is terminating the scan.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Rather than just copy the iTunes music folder, I built the flash drive from scratch, with 14 self-named genre folders (i.e. BIG BAND-SWING, BLUEGRASS-TRADITIONAL, BLUEGRASS-NEWGRASS, CHRISTMAS, COUNTRY, FOLK ROCK, HARD ROCK, ROCK, and so on.) I want to be able to play random music of a particular genre.

Part of the problem with the iTunes folder is the way it deals with multi-artist songs and albums, putting some in Compilations. As I add music to my iTunes, I try to get rid of compilations (with Get Info) and merge multi-disk albums into one folder by removing the [Disk 1], [Disk 2] and so on. That way the songs are in one album folder with names that have both disk and track number.*

Where I screwed up was not creating them alphabetically--the FIT does NOT sort alphabetically, but shows them according to creation or order in the directory. It also does not sort the artists or the albums alphabetically. I wrote a shell script that went through and "touched" each folder in ls -R order and that didn't help (touch only changes the modified and access date/time).

I have another shell script I'll use after I copy the flash drive to our NAS, reformat it, and mkdir/cp the files back in ls -R order. But I'm still not done building the library for the flash drive.

* There are some exceptions. For example, I kept the disks separate in the Neil Young Anthology because they have descriptive names (and for my Linux server music player, different album covers).

Last edited by Fitmo; 03-07-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:13 PM
I'd actually suggest the opposite of what tbFit suggested. Put all the files in the root folder. No subfolders.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. So this is what i've garnered:

1. We don't know of a folder limit size for the 2015 fit
2. My problem could be because of the way the folders are organized or because of a corrupt file (thanks tbFit and DWils)
3. This could just be the way it is for whatever reason

I will try re-organizing folders and also deleting some artists at the point where the fit stops displaying them. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Also, just in case this is useful, the last folder it stops at is 312. Perhaps that is the limit?

Old 03-07-2015, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by catzero
... Also, just in case this is useful, the last folder it stops at is 312. Perhaps that is the limit?
In computer terms, that is an odd number for a limit. Limits would tend to be around numbers like 32, 64, 256, 65535, etc... However, it would be interesting to get a file count within those 312 folders.

Good luck and thanks for reporting back so we can all learn a little bit more about the audio system.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 PM
The Owner's Manual doesn't say anything about a size limitation? Like 32gb or 64gb?

Edit: my bad. Talking about apples and oranges. How many total folders does your device have? Though it might stop after 312 there may be more folders.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:41 AM
My list stops at 255, a rather significant number in hex.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PearlFit
My list stops at 255, a rather significant number in hex.
Rather astute observation: Fit Freak

Old 03-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Reporting back.

I think the issue is with maximum amount of folders. This includes folders for artist and album. I randomly deleted about a 3rd of the artists that were on my USB and my total artist count went up to ~460 compared to the previous 312. I erased my drive and then reloaded my entire library and it went down to 260. I then picked 2-3 random artists to delete who may only have one or two songs and it jumped up to 290. Ill continue to plug away at this to see if I can figure out what the limits are.

I really wish Honda would say what the folder or file restriction is because then I could just delete what I don't deem necessary and stay under the limit.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
I also have a 2015 FIT, and I went out and bought a 128GB drive, think I could carry my whole library (Currently 6000+ folders, 22,000+ files). My folder view tops out at 299. I will try reorganizing with fewer folders, and report back.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Cool flash drive. So it'll read iTunes imported to it in the same manner as an iPod would? I've been keeping an iPod plugged into the console usb and that gives me playlists, artist, album, etc. on the Fit's display.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFolksinger
Cool flash drive. So it'll read iTunes imported to it in the same manner as an iPod would? I've been keeping an iPod plugged into the console usb and that gives me playlists, artist, album, etc. on the Fit's display.
The data read from the USB is not as complete as you would get from an iPod: It shows Folder name, Artist name, and Track name.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Skyrm
The data read from the USB is not as complete as you would get from an iPod: It shows Folder name, Artist name, and Track name.

Hmmm, without albums, genres, and playlists a flash drive wouldn't be much use....too much stuff....3225 folders.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:27 PM
very odd I have the same drive and I have over 700 songs and they all show up. I have a fairly large file lay out as well. I have a music folder > artist folder > album folder > songs. seems to work fine for me other than I hate how it groups them and can never find what I'm looking for. I ultimately just go to the menu and tell it to play random of all songs.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
I was certain that I'd seen the number of folders the system would handle somewhere in the owners manual, but I'll be darned if I can find it now.

Quick Reply: USB folder/file size limits on 2015 fits