Upgraded the front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:42 PM
Upgraded the front speakers

After much searching and internal debate, I upgraded the factory front speakers to Focal Access 165 coaxials. I read the many suggestions about the need for an amp as well as the benefits of adding a sub to the system. There were also many comments about the weakness of the factory HU. But I didn't want to change the clean look and integration the HU provides. While the sub no doubt provide additional bottom and fill, the trade off in loss of space didn't seem worth it, since the flexible cargo space was a main factor in my buying decision.
I had the speakers installed by the shop I've been dealing with for many years. The manager recommended the Focal as their best option for a speaker only upgrade. The install included dynamat and appears very professional in my opinion. Interestingly the installer said he was impressed with the factory HU and wouldn't recommend changing it. He said he had done the installation to allow for a future addition of the amp, but was pleased with the improved sound in the new setup.
So how do the speakers sound? They sound great to my ears. It is the improvement that I was looking for. The cabin sound seems uller, the tweeters provided nice separation and clarity, and there's enough mid and lows to make feel the music. Would an amp make it better? Sure. But I've good from ok to more than alright, and for now that's good enough for me. I think I got a good return for the investment; they're no second thoughts or buyer's remorse.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:06 PM
This is something I'm thinking about doing. Did you have 6 speaker or 4 speaker trim originally? How much did the front speaker upgrade cost you in total?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:53 PM
I have the EX, with a pair of speakers in the front and rear doors, and a pair of tweeters on the dash. The Focals replaced the front door speakers and the dash tweeters.
The speakers were $399. They could probably be found for a few dollars less online but I bought them from the sound shop that did the install. The labor was $125. Plus there were small materials charges for the soundproofing material and the connectors.
I drove around today and listened to a variety of music genres and sources. As you know, the better the source the better the sound. But all of what I heard today was, apples to apples, much better than stock. I adjusted the levels to send more sound to the front and tweeted the bass and treble a bit. It's where I like it, at least for now,
The exterior noise also seems reduced, perhaps because I'm listening to clearer music and a slightly higher volumn or because of the dynamat in the door. In any case I'm just enjoying the improvement.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:38 AM
Did the new tweeters fit into the stock grilles in the EX? Or did your installer had to modify the stock grilles?

Will be getting my ride in a month, am also considering whether to change out the stock speakers...

Old 07-02-2015, 11:31 AM
The tweeters fit with no adjustments needed.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Just to let OP know, if he is concerned about space and interested in ever adding a sub without losing it, The Pioneer ts wh500a, powered under seat sub does fit under the Fit seats...well at least the 2013 model, I assume nothing there has changed in newer models.

It has some nice clean lows considering the size, enough to make your rear view mirror shake. There is also a sub out there that fits inside the spare tire rim, so it's easy to remove but no clue how it sounds.