Audio upgrades for fit?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Audio upgrades for fit?

I have never dealt with car audio, but I am familiar with audio gear and have done live work professionally.

From what I understand, the signal gets eq'ed at the head unit for the stock speaker setup. Replacing the speakers can be unpredictable because the signal is still eq'ed before reaching them. To get around this, one needs a new head unit, or a dsp to correct the eq.

I ask because this is a fit specific forum, what are the upgrade paths or options available, short of going all out and replacing the whole audio chain? Is there any way to put a smaller amount of money in for a marginal improvement in sound? Will speakers improve the sound? An amplifier and speakers? DSP, amp and speakers? Any midrange affordable products/brands?

The general consensus from the car audio shops I visited is no.

One shop I went to mentioned that some Hondas have a microphone to pick up distortion in the speakers, and correct it automatically? Anyone know anything about this? They said if I had it it would be tough to disable.

I have the LX, no tweeters. Sound is bad, I'd be happy with any improvement. Thanks for reading.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
The question I would ask you is... are you a total audiophile?

If no, I'd recommed doing what I did. I personally think the improvement was fantastic and I think my car sounds great now.

I did not get a DSP.

All I did was replaced the 4 door speakers with the rockford fosgates that are in my signature below + added the Kenwood powered sub. The sub fits perfectly under the passenger seat and gives the car a good but not obnoxious thump.

I spent $69 per pair for the speakers and $148 for the sub. $286 total.

The headunit does eq the sound, but its not bad. The only time I can hear the "artificialness" of it is in the really high-highs when the volume is up over 30. But again, its not bad. Turning down the treble a bit takes most of it away IMO.

I'm thrilled with the improvement, especially considering how cheap and easy it was (I did it myself).

Old 07-03-2015, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andre181
The question I would ask you is... are you a total audiophile?

If no, I'd recommed doing what I did. I personally think the improvement was fantastic and I think my car sounds great now.

I did not get a DSP.

All I did was replaced the 4 door speakers with the rockford fosgates that are in my signature below + added the Kenwood powered sub. The sub fits perfectly under the passenger seat and gives the car a good but not obnoxious thump.

I spent $69 per pair for the speakers and $148 for the sub. $286 total.

The headunit does eq the sound, but its not bad. The only time I can hear the "artificialness" of it is in the really high-highs when the volume is up over 30. But again, its not bad. Turning down the treble a bit takes most of it away IMO.

I'm thrilled with the improvement, especially considering how cheap and easy it was (I did it myself).

Thanks for your advice. I would like to keep it on the cheaper side, but only if it's worth the improvement, don't want to go all out on a system right now.

The way I see it, I could do speakers and a small sub now, and then perhaps a jl cleansweep and amp later, would that work?

Does the sub fit under the front passenger seat?

Does it get in the way of putting the magic seats down?

Last edited by 8strung; 07-03-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 8strung
Thanks for your advice. I would like to keep it on the cheaper side, but only if it's worth the improvement, don't want to go all out on a system right now.

The way I see it, I could do speakers and a small sub now, and then perhaps a jl cleansweep and amp later, would that work?

Does the sub fit under the front passenger seat?

Does it get in the way of putting the magic seats down?
Seats fold perfectly. You can't even see the sub. Its completely under the passenger seat.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:14 PM
The main reason why many will suggest to use a DSP or get a new HU is because the EQ in many OEM systems, will automatically dial back on certain frequencies as you crank up the volume. This is to minimize speaker damage and distortion but wreaks havoc on how good it could sound otherwise. Usually the bass suffers the most and without some kind of dsp, there is no other way to combat it

I don't know if Honda Fits do this, I always replace the HU regardless for whatever car I buy. But with aftermarkets you can get many more features, conveniences and sound quality such as time alignment, 24 bit DAC, Pandora, BT..etc.

I just recently ordered this to replace my Sony HU, at $279 shipped, it's a steal compared to everywhere else charging $379 and has some amazing features. Also you can get other parts to do things like steering wheel controls or ones that plug into your car to show onscreen car performance, so you never lose any of your factory features regardless of what car it is.

Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS
Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS In-Dash Receiver
CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
Power Output:
Peak: 50 watts x 4 channels
RMS: 17 watts x 4 channels
6.2" LCD touchscreen display
Anti-glare screen coating
Color and display customization
Dimmer setting
Brightness control
Resolution: 800 x 480
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
MIXTRAX app Illumination Effects
Customizable homescreen shortcuts
iDatalink-Compatible:
Connects serially to iDatalink Maestro products to seamlessly integrate with your vehicle's original infotainment systems
Retain factory features like hands-free Bluetooth, USB media, satellite radio, steering wheel controls and more
Remote control included
Playback and Audio Features:
CD, CD-R/RW, DVD, DVD-R/RW, MP3/WMA/AAC/MP4
AM/FM tuner with 18FM/6AM presets
Best station memory
Built-in HD radio
HD radio artist experience
HD radio multicasting
Pandora station creation
Siri Eyes Free mode
iPod and iPhone Ready: Standard USB-to-iPod Cable and USB-to-Lightning Cable compatible
Android music support
13-band customizable graphic equalizer
Subwoofer Level Adjustable
Built-in LPF/HPF
Time alignment
Listening position selector
Advanced Sound Retriever
24-bit D/A converter
3-way audio network mode
3.5mm Rear Auxiliary Input
Rear USB Input
Composite Video Output
Composite A/V Input
CD text information display
MP3 ID3 Tag Display (Title/Artist/Album)
Bluetooth Features:
Built-in Bluetooth technology for hands-free talking and audio streaming
Supports A2DP audio streaming
Content browsing support via Bluetooth
Wideband speech Hands Free Profile
Works with most Bluetooth enabled cell phones
Includes a external wired microphone for clear, convenient talking
Expandability Options:
3 Sets of 4V preamp outputs (front, rear and subwoofer)
SiriusXM Satellite Radio Ready: SiriusXM Radio Package and subscription required and sold separately
MirrorLink Ready: CD-MU200 Interface Cable with MirrorLink cable required and sold separately
Navigation Ready: Pioneer AVIC-U260 Add-On GPS Navigation System required and sold separately
Steering Wheel Control Ready: PAC ControlPRO or Axxess ASWC-1 are required and sold separately
Backup Camera Input: Universal Backup Camera recommended and sold separately

Last edited by NightScreams; 07-12-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NightScreams
The main reason why many will suggest to use a DSP or get a new HU is because the EQ in many OEM systems, will automatically dial back on certain frequencies as you crank up the volume. This is to minimize speaker damage and distortion but wreaks havoc on how good it could sound otherwise. Usually the bass suffers the most and without some kind of dsp, there is no other way to combat it

I don't know if Honda Fits do this, I always replace the HU regardless for whatever car I buy. But with aftermarkets you can get many more features, conveniences and sound quality such as time alignment, 24 bit DAC, Pandora, BT..etc.

I just recently ordered this to replace my Sony HU, at $279 shipped, it's a steal compared to everywhere else charging $379 and has some amazing features. Also you can get other parts to do things like steering wheel controls or ones that plug into your car to show onscreen car performance, so you never lose any of your factory features regardless of what car it is.

Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS
Our stock head unit isnt eq in anyway. I already confirmed this when I had the Audison bit One in and went through the auto de-eq and came back with nothing. One thing I learn from all this system upgrade is the front channel has higher output than the rear channel. Also only the front channel is controlling your bluetooth audio like if you get a phone call you cant hear the person on the other side of the phone if you have the front speaker disconnected they can hear you because the mic still works.