View Poll Results: Did you send email to Honda requesting for Android Auto, MirrorLink or Apple Carplay?
Yes
25.00%
No
75.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Android Auto, MirrorLink and Apple Carplay support

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 03:59 PM
Well worth reading article on Arstechnica about Apple Carplay.

One week with Apple CarPlay on ArsTechnica

Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 AM
Everyone's saying they're isn't a profit motive for doing upgrades. In the first place, they COULD charge for the upgrade. Nobody is stopping them from charging for the upgrade. In the second place, there is the concept of good will. People are desperately passionate about Tesla, for example, because they keep upgrading the car'software. "Why would anyone do that?" is a question for people stuck in outdated paradigms. Nowadays, a car is technology, and it should be upgradeable or at least updateable just like other modern technology. Android auto perfectly represents this technological, upgradeable shift.

All said, I would really like to have Android auto, BUT my phone has a big enough, bright enough screen and is WAY more capable and intuitive and quick than Android auto. So with my dash mount, missing Android auto won't be a big loss. But getting the upgrade would build massive brand respect from a huge customer base.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:47 AM
Honda Head unit software just sucks

The user interface of the head unit is just terrible. It is obvious to me that Honda doesn't have any understanding at all about user centric design.
The steering wheel switch controls are hard coded to a single function when there is no reason the switch need to be so limited. There is no understanding that the keys could be context aware. Why is the centre button always source? Why are the up and down buttons always volume? Apple's earliest iPods are far more functional with fewer buttons. Honda should have looked at the simple remote control for an AppleTV.

With as large screen as in the head unit, you would think they would use that space more intelligently. When an incoming phone call (connected via Bluetooth) the visual display place the "answer" and "ignore" vertically. The issue here is that when one reaches to press the answer button, the slightest bump in the road triggers an ignore. I realize that there is an answer button on the steering wheel but the human focus is the screen.
If Honda was even remotely familiar with good design and screen layout, they would place the buttons on screen side by side making the target response far more removed from an unintended selection.

As an automobile, the Fit has some incredibly great design. It maximizes space and seating, carry capacity, gets good fuel economy and so far (33k km), seems relatively inexpensive to maintain but the head unit is really seriously disappointing. Had I realized just how poorly designed it was, I may well have made another choice in automobile.

Honda should take this advice to heart and provide a MAJOR software update redesigning the operations of the device and switch controls. I think that update should be at no cost to the car owner. I believe that full Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality should be incorporated and it should NOT required the HDMI and USB wired connection. I made the mistake of believing the dealer that using those cable connections would provide enhanced functionality and provided your car is stationary and has the handbrake applied, that is MARGINALLY true.

No way in the world will I spring for the $60 Honda navigation software. I simply don't believe that it would have any useful interface.

I don't know if Honda pays any attention to postings on sites such as this but I would welcome a chance to provide them with even more specific advice as to how they might improve their offering.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
I do agree that Honda's infotainment system is terrible, and Consumers Reports Reliability Survey agreed, dropping Honda 4 spots, to 8th.

What is more disappointing is that there is no thought put into any upgrade path for 2016/2016 head units. Honda is so far behind in their thinking that they have not set up any way for the car owner to get an upgrade without dealer involvement. How backward is Honda's thinking? Even Ford can do this, though I am told, not well, but at least they had thought about and implemented a plan to allow end users to upgrade on their own. Honda continues to still rely on the car owner going to their dealer, if and only if there will ever be an upgrade.

And this is yet another disappointment. Honda has never, ever done an upgrade to a head unit. Someone, please correct me and show some proof. Charge for the upgrade, if you must, but at least give recent owners an option for upgrade.

I agree that I do enjoy my Fit. Yesterday I transported a large rocking chair and small table, and my daughter noted that the Fit sucked it in like a Tardis. The engineering in the car is really great.

Just a note about the Fit LX's radio, the 5" non-touch screen. It is really good. Easy to use, clear UI, I can operate the volume knob easily while driving and with gloves, and it comes with an aux port, pairs with daughter's phone with bluetooth no issues. While I would have paid more for the upgraded 7" touch radio I felt the screen was slow and knew there was next to no Android support.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:39 AM
I have made some nasty factual comments on Twitter about the head unit and Honda Canada has asked me to comment further which I will do.

In the meantime, I have tweeted a link to this forum to the Honda Canada and Honda Twitter addresses

Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Other manufacturers do updates.

Originally Posted by Dick W
Similar to all other companies, spending money requires a business case for doing so. What on earth would the business case be for Honda to do this?
The business case is simple - happier owners.

I can see no reason why Honda could justifiably refuse to provide an update to the head unit of a 2015 Fit.

Chrysler Fiat is providing updates FREE for 2013 and later models for their UConnect head units. These can be installed by a dealer or, in fact, users can install these updates themselves.

Fiat Chrysler Uconnect Update site is Here

Honda Civic 2016 models use the same head unit with updated software that provide native Carplay.

NO EXCUSE Honda!

Old 11-28-2016, 12:13 AM
Honda lousy with Android

I bought a 2016 honda fit traded in a 2012 Preus C
Toyota linked flawlessly with Android - Honda very disappointing! Voice commands for calling individuals on my phone does not work at all. when I call Honda support they just make crap up. I like the car overall but in retrospect I probably would have gotten another Toyota as calling in my car is hugely important

Old 11-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Software updates (sadly) are not inevitable. Honda has said they simply won't do it.

I continue to complain to Honda and my dealer about the very stupid design decisions made in the Display Audio Unit.

Honda fails to understand that CarPlay and AndroidAuto (and updates to support the technology) are important to consumers.

Honda fails to understand that Apple market cap is the world's most valuable company.

Apple understands their customers. They have set some of the most important, highest standards for excellence in user functionality. Apple's update and upgrade programs for their computers, iPhones and other products consistently deliver greater functionality not only for their newly introduced devices, but push most of those capabilities onto device that are 3-5 years older. Loyalty to Apple iOS and MacOS is unmatched by ANY other technology company.

Will I be loyal to Honda?

Would I buy another Fit? Frankly, no.

Am I in the market for another car? I will be in the spring. Almost all auto makers provide similar vehicles in each respective market. Automobiles are commodity products. The engines, suspension systems, seating, lighting, and most other mechanical aspects do not provide significant differentiation within their target markets.

Moving forward, user experience will be my most important criteria. CarPlay will be a high priority, MUST have, STANDARD feature in my next vehicle purchase.

PS.- All you Android folks out there, don't get your knickers in a twist. AndroidAuto (without any personal experience) is probably pretty good at integrating with your Android device. Google has learned much from Apple (and Apple has learned some from Google). Both companies have a far better understanding of user interface and user experience than Honda when it comes to this technology.
Honda (Toyota, Nissan, GM, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes, Volkswagen, BMW and well… just about all the car makers) understand steering wheels, shift levers, gas, brake and clutch pedals. Some of them (though not Honda) understand that others like Apple and Google do a far better job with this tech.