Portable XM receiver hooked up in Fit EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Portable XM receiver hooked up in Fit EX

I finally got tired of my ipod and/or head unit rebooting and got my Xpress RC hooked up in my Fit EX. I dragged my feet for the summer because I would need to use both 12V jacks - one for the FM transmitter and one for the unit itself. Also, the FM transmitter I used in my truck caused packaging issues, as it wanted to share the space I had planned on using for the XM unit.

Amazon found me this -
 Sirius XM Radio 5 Volt USB Power Cable for Legacy 5V receivers (NOT PowerConnect) Sirius XM Radio 5 Volt USB Power Cable for Legacy 5V receivers (NOT PowerConnect)

a USB power cable for my Xpress RC. That allowed me to use the front USB connector to power the XM unit.

And I found an much smaller FM transmitter:

iClever Wireless FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit with 3.5mm Audio Plug and USB Car Charger, Black iClever Wireless FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit with 3.5mm Audio Plug and USB Car Charger, Black

I have this plugged into the 12V power outlet in the armrest storage compartment. It has a USB plug in the base, so theoretically I could use the front 12V to power both the transmitter and XM unit if I needed to free up the rear power source and/or front USB.

I also bought a 3.5mm extension - the transmitter might be long enough, but I wanted extra for when I pull the console and hide the wiring.

Cable Matters Gold Plated 3.5mm Stereo Audio Male to Female Extension Cable 1... Cable Matters Gold Plated 3.5mm Stereo Audio Male to Female Extension Cable 1...

The antenna I already had from previous car kits - I positioned it directly behind the factory antenna and routed the wiring into the hatch seal and down under the cargo cover. It's running under the floor mats and passenger seat.

Sound quality is completely acceptable. I have been using FM transmitters for a few years as my truck doesn't have an AUX input either. If you live an an area with a lot of competition in the FM band, I recommend this website for finding open channels - Radio-Locator.com

(I will add photos tonight. The XM unit lives in the cubby ahead of the cupholders. There's also a nice cutout for cables coming out of the armrest.)

Last edited by Splat; 01-06-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Photo of XM receiver location:

It's connected to a home dock, resting on some bubble wrap. At some point I'd like to carve up some foam or something for more stable rest, but as-is I can easily press the buttons one-handed.

Another spring project will be to pull the center console and hide the wiring. I just bought more cables so I'll be able to leave all that in the Fit and just move the receiver when I drive the truck.