Anyone installed aftermarket navi dvd player for 2015 Honda fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Smile Anyone installed aftermarket navi dvd player for 2015 Honda fit?

hi guys, i'm considering an aftermarket navi dvd player for my 2015 fit, which is not with navi system or rear camera display. I searched in google and find this:

2014-2015 Honda Fit DVD Player Radio Honda Fit GPS Navigation Head unit

It looks oem, with navi, bluetooth, dvd player, usb, support rear camera, etc.

Is that hard to install such a unit? i did search in this forum and just found instructions for older model not for my 2015 model. Anyone has experiences to share?

Old 03-02-2016, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
For installation, see the second sticky in this subforum. Rottboy does a nice job of documenting his removal. It doesn't look particularly difficult, but you will be removing parts of the dash to get at it.

Now as to your link, it looks like the Blue Lotus head unit from China. That website - dvdgpsnav - is a Chinese website. I entered my location to see what delivery charges would be from China, and it was around $70, bringing the whole shebang to around $350.

I can see one advantage for the Blue Lotus unit: you won't need a separate dash kit, as the bezel is already designed for the Fit. But since this is a Chinese unit with apparently no US distributors, what happens if something goes wrong? If you run into warranty issues, you'll most likely have to remove the unit and ship it back to its parents on your dime. And if you run into problems after the warranty expires, no idea if you'd get any support.

I've been looking for aftermarket head units, so this one came up on my radar too. But I'm not sold on the idea yet. In fact, all I'm doing at this point is replacing the stock speakers and keeping the original head unit until I see something that ticks all the boxes for me: HD radio, navi, bluetooth, and most importantly, retention of the steering wheel controls and backup camera feature without too many obstacles.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
For installation, see the second sticky in this subforum. Rottboy does a nice job of documenting his removal. It doesn't look particularly difficult, but you will be removing parts of the dash to get at it.

Now as to your link, it looks like the Blue Lotus head unit from China. That website - dvdgpsnav - is a Chinese website. I entered my location to see what delivery charges would be from China, and it was around $70, bringing the whole shebang to around $350.

I can see one advantage for the Blue Lotus unit: you won't need a separate dash kit, as the bezel is already designed for the Fit. But since this is a Chinese unit with apparently no US distributors, what happens if something goes wrong? If you run into warranty issues, you'll most likely have to remove the unit and ship it back to its parents on your dime. And if you run into problems after the warranty expires, no idea if you'd get any support.

I've been looking for aftermarket head units, so this one came up on my radar too. But I'm not sold on the idea yet. In fact, all I'm doing at this point is replacing the stock speakers and keeping the original head unit until I see something that ticks all the boxes for me: HD radio, navi, bluetooth, and most importantly, retention of the steering wheel controls and backup camera feature without too many obstacles.
Any luck finding that radio you described ? Keeping all sterling controls, mic, phone, side and rear camara ?? I have seen a few awesome HD radios with Android Auto and many other sweet features.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SKJPKGW/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_4?colid=1WGQ4ELPHLTF8&coliid=I3D YFUGO868JGM

Old 07-01-2016, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by superfanatico
Any luck finding that radio you described ? Keeping all sterling controls, mic, phone, side and rear camara ?? I have seen a few awesome HD radios with Android Auto and many other sweet features.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SK...I3DYFUGO868JGM
The one that came closest to my wish list was the Kenwood 9902S. But at $750, ain't cheap, and I'd need the dash kit, steering wheel control interface, etc., etc., so probably around a grand when I was all done. And it lacked one thing I consider essential - a volume knob. The 9902S had touch controls for volume.

In the end, here's what I did. Kept the LX head unit. Added an ipod touch for music & podcasts (I had trouble interfacing my 120G ipod classic with the LX head unit, would freeze and go into recovery mode a lot), and a Garmin 2539LMT for navi. I also replaced all the stock speakers with my fav audio speakers, Hybrid Audios: Imagine in the front doors, Mirus in the rear doors. I did the speaker install myself to save a few bucks.

In the end, I spent right around $400 for everything: ~$330 for all four Hybrid Audio speakers (got them on ebay essentially unused), $7 for a trim tool kit to install the speakers, $25 for the ipod touch at a rummage sale, and $40 for the garmin at a pawn shop.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Did the OP ever purchase this unit?

Old 02-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
The one that came closest to my wish list was the Kenwood 9902S. But at $750, ain't cheap, and I'd need the dash kit, steering wheel control interface, etc., etc., so probably around a grand when I was all done. And it lacked one thing I consider essential - a volume knob. The 9902S had touch controls for volume.

In the end, here's what I did. Kept the LX head unit. Added an ipod touch for music & podcasts (I had trouble interfacing my 120G ipod classic with the LX head unit, would freeze and go into recovery mode a lot), and a Garmin 2539LMT for navi. I also replaced all the stock speakers with my fav audio speakers, Hybrid Audios: Imagine in the front doors, Mirus in the rear doors. I did the speaker install myself to save a few bucks.

In the end, I spent right around $400 for everything: ~$330 for all four Hybrid Audio speakers (got them on ebay essentially unused), $7 for a trim tool kit to install the speakers, $25 for the ipod touch at a rummage sale, and $40 for the garmin at a pawn shop.
nice how difficult was it to install 4 speakers by yourself??
thanks for the details.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Speaker install was relatively straightforward.

Unless you have big beefy hands, the trim tools are a must for getting into a door panel to remove it. I like the wide ones to get into a panel. Once you remove one plastic clip on a door panel, you can use your hands to pop the rest of the panel off.

The plastic clips have an annoying tendency to stay in the door frame once the panel is removed. It's much easier to get the panel back on if you put any clips that remained in the door frame back in the panel first.

Drilling the brackets for my new speakers was a little futzy as these are fairly deep speakers and there isn't much clearance.

I couldn't see spending >$100 to have someone else install four speakers for me. Took me maybe couple hours for both pairs. Something to try if you haven't before.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Reviving this thread considering the limited info out there.

Just installed a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX with SiriusXM (SXV300v1) in my 2015 Honda Fit EX-L.

First, taking off the trim was not as easy as Crutchfield would have you believe. It requires significant force to pull. I used $5 plastic trim tools from Amazon to help.

Three screws need to be removed to get the radio out. The two are on top of the head unit are obvious once you remove the HVAC vents and circular gauge trim. The difficult screw is underneath on the drivers side of the radio. This is accessible by taking the panel with the hdmi/usb/cigarette lighter out and going behind the climate control cluster. Only way to do this is by lying with your head on the floor in front of the front passenger seat so you can see the screw.

Now you have a plethora of cables connected to the head unit. You also have cables to the airbag light/hazzard switch. I removed these two cables first and then removed the light and switch from the factory plastic trim.

Then I removed the rest of the cables from the head unit. Most of the harnesses have a button on one side of them to press and release the cable usually denoted by ridges. There is a main harness with a lever on it that you need to pull back before it will release.

Now that the head unit was out, the question I had was what are all the cables for. First, I disregarded the USB and HDMI running down to the floor. I have replacement cables that mount to the surface on the way. Will update after they get here.

The square antenna type plug is to the GPS antenna. I am not using it. I was able to reuse the regular car antenna though by getting a Metra antenna adapter (40-HD11). I did not connect the blue wire but may connect it in the future if I can figure out where it should go. Everything seems to work without it.

Now the fun part... The ASWC-1 and HDCC-02... First of all, what works? LaneWatch and reverse cameras mostly work. You do get an inactive backup grid on the LaneWatch which is very strange. And the backup grid is missing from the reverse camera. Also, the reverse camera is in a fisheye view which I can't remember if that was always like that. But both are definitely useable. The steering controls will work too, but...

The cable Axxess gives you unfortunately needs to be modified. Axxess will tell you that you have to hardwire into the car because presumably, they can't send you a couple more f***ing wires to stick in their harness. Don't do that!! You could do what I did...

Get another Metra harness (70-1729) and butcher the one they give you by removing a few pins with a soldering iron melting the plastic holding the pins in. Then cut the rest of the wires close to the harness so you can tie them into the new harness. (Probably could've just added pins to their harness if the plastic holding pin 22 was not broken.) Make sure you are careful not to bend the pins as you are adding them to your harness. I used a needle nose to pull them through the rest of the way once I pushed the pins in.

It was helpful to understand the wiring. Axxess has a wiring diagram on their website. Most of the wires going to this harness are speakers. Then there a couple of control wires and the power wires. The spare Metra harness I bought uses the same color code as the one Axxess gives you and explains what each wire is for on the back of the package. PS - Axxess gives you 4 RCA connectors for your speaker connections. I had to snip these off as the RCA output from my head unit is line level and the car audio system needs an amplified output which is only accessible via the 4100NEX harness.

Once the wiring was finished, I taped up everything and went to install it in the car.

Everything fit, but I needed to run the SiriusXM aftermarket antenna mag mount from the back of the car. Using the plastic trim tools made this a bit easier. Mostly went above the drivers side doors from back to front. Then I dropped down to go underneath the steering wheel and then went over from there to go up the center console.

I also wasn't able to use the factory mic. So I mounted the mic on the trim right below the visor and ran the cable underneath the trim and weatherstripping and followed the sattelite antenna path from there to the center console.

One last note, the Metra 95-7883HG trim does not have the white clips you need to hold it in place. Needed to get those clips off of the factory trim and snap them on. Also, I used the factory metal bracket for my head unit instead of the plastic one from Metra.

That's all for now.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Jp123
Reviving this thread considering the limited info out there.

Just installed a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX with SiriusXM (SXV300v1) in my 2015 Honda Fit EX-L.

First, taking off the trim was not as easy as Crutchfield would have you believe. It requires significant force to pull. I used $5 plastic trim tools from Amazon to help.

Three screws need to be removed to get the radio out. The two are on top of the head unit are obvious once you remove the HVAC vents and circular gauge trim. The difficult screw is underneath on the drivers side of the radio. This is accessible by taking the panel with the hdmi/usb/cigarette lighter out and going behind the climate control cluster. Only way to do this is by lying with your head on the floor in front of the front passenger seat so you can see the screw.

Now you have a plethora of cables connected to the head unit. You also have cables to the airbag light/hazzard switch. I removed these two cables first and then removed the light and switch from the factory plastic trim.

Then I removed the rest of the cables from the head unit. Most of the harnesses have a button on one side of them to press and release the cable usually denoted by ridges. There is a main harness with a lever on it that you need to pull back before it will release.

Now that the head unit was out, the question I had was what are all the cables for. First, I disregarded the USB and HDMI running down to the floor. I have replacement cables that mount to the surface on the way. Will update after they get here.

The square antenna type plug is to the GPS antenna. I am not using it. I was able to reuse the regular car antenna though by getting a Metra antenna adapter (40-HD11). I did not connect the blue wire but may connect it in the future if I can figure out where it should go. Everything seems to work without it.

Now the fun part... The ASWC-1 and HDCC-02... First of all, what works? LaneWatch and reverse cameras mostly work. You do get an inactive backup grid on the LaneWatch which is very strange. And the backup grid is missing from the reverse camera. Also, the reverse camera is in a fisheye view which I can't remember if that was always like that. But both are definitely useable. The steering controls will work too, but...

The cable Axxess gives you unfortunately needs to be modified. Axxess will tell you that you have to hardwire into the car because presumably, they can't send you a couple more f***ing wires to stick in their harness. Don't do that!! You could do what I did...

Get another Metra harness (70-1729) and butcher the one they give you by removing a few pins with a soldering iron melting the plastic holding the pins in. Then cut the rest of the wires close to the harness so you can tie them into the new harness. (Probably could've just added pins to their harness if the plastic holding pin 22 was not broken.) Make sure you are careful not to bend the pins as you are adding them to your harness. I used a needle nose to pull them through the rest of the way once I pushed the pins in.

It was helpful to understand the wiring. Axxess has a wiring diagram on their website. Most of the wires going to this harness are speakers. Then there a couple of control wires and the power wires. The spare Metra harness I bought uses the same color code as the one Axxess gives you and explains what each wire is for on the back of the package. PS - Axxess gives you 4 RCA connectors for your speaker connections. I had to snip these off as the RCA output from my head unit is line level and the car audio system needs an amplified output which is only accessible via the 4100NEX harness.

Once the wiring was finished, I taped up everything and went to install it in the car.

Everything fit, but I needed to run the SiriusXM aftermarket antenna mag mount from the back of the car. Using the plastic trim tools made this a bit easier. Mostly went above the drivers side doors from back to front. Then I dropped down to go underneath the steering wheel and then went over from there to go up the center console.

I also wasn't able to use the factory mic. So I mounted the mic on the trim right below the visor and ran the cable underneath the trim and weatherstripping and followed the sattelite antenna path from there to the center console.

One last note, the Metra 95-7883HG trim does not have the white clips you need to hold it in place. Needed to get those clips off of the factory trim and snap them on. Also, I used the factory metal bracket for my head unit instead of the plastic one from Metra.

That's all for now.

Wow! Nice thanks for the Info.
Any chance you can upload a video and to see how the back camera looks like along with the lane watch? I would also love to see how that nice radio fits into the Fits Dash. Thanks for taking the time to write all that i am definitely thinking about getting a radio similar to that..
Also, just wondering here... do you lose the ability to see your gas mileage on the radio?
thanks again

Old 02-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Wow! Nice thanks for the Info.
Any chance you can upload a video and to see how the back camera looks like along with the lane watch? I would also love to see how that nice radio fits into the Fits Dash. Thanks for taking the time to write all that i am definitely thinking about getting a radio similar to that..
No prob. Here you go:

Also, just wondering here... do you lose the ability to see your gas mileage on the radio?
thanks again
Gas mileage is not viewable on the aftermarket head unit via a stock app. However, you might be able to gather that info by using Torque or something like that and an OBD2 scan tool.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:11 PM
No prob. Here you go: https://youtu.be/EYXBeaczV-E

Gas mileage is not viewable on the aftermarket head unit via a stock app. However, you might be able to gather that info by using Torque or something like that and an OBD2 scan tool.
Wow the installation looks really clean. Definitely not something I would do myself though i'm a little scared haha.. And the camaras work great! i know you mentioned the actual lane guidelines arent there but its not like we always rely on those.

When you put the blinker on does it switch to lane watch?
And the parts that you are waiting for, would they allow you to connect HDMI to the new radio? Or you are installing something else?

Im really thinking about getting this.. i Would mostly likely pay someone that knows to install it though.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:29 PM

Wow the installation looks really clean. Definitely not something I would do myself though i'm a little scared haha.. And the camaras work great! i know you mentioned the actual lane guidelines arent there but its not like we always rely on those.

When you put the blinker on does it switch to lane watch?
And the parts that you are waiting for, would they allow you to connect HDMI to the new radio? Or you are installing something else?

Im really thinking about getting this.. i Would mostly likely pay someone that knows to install it though.
yep. The blinker activates lanewatch. Just a slight delay as you can see in the video.

I got the hdmi/usb/aux surface mount cables from Amazon. Just came in today. While they aren't perfect, they are pretty close to perfect (see pic above)

I connected the blue wire from the antenna to the red ACC wire. Seems to work fine. Didn't notice any difference.

Also learned afterwards that there is a wire at the base of the steering column I could use to activate the 3 cell phone buttons. But I think I'm good for now. Maybe in the future, I'll attempt to locate that.

I hear you with getting someone to do it. If it wasn't for the rewiring of the harness, it wasn't too bad. And FYI, I had no prior experience with an install other than knowing how to solder.

Last edited by Jp123; 02-19-2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Very nice install! Glad to see the Axxis kit does work for the reverse and lane watch cameras. I expected the grid lines to be missing. However, if you look at page 57 of your manual for the Pioneer, you will find the instructions to activate the guidelines, static type, not the dynamic ones that the OEM has which uses an SPS (steering position sensor) to adjust the grid lines. You can use your fingers on the screen to drag the gridline position corners.

The cameras themselves are inherent fish eye type specifically. The various views the software uses cropped versions of the output to give you the view you are seeking. Unless you were to swap out the rear and lanewatch cameras for the cameras recommended by Pioneer for the HU, you will get the black ring around the edges of the camera output.

What about the time on the gauge cluster? Does this not sync up with the aftermarket head? I know the MPG is not available any longer. Not a deal breaker for me, but considering that an aftermarket head unit is available that keeps the cameras, I'm impressed!

Cheers on the install!

Old 02-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Very nice install! Glad to see the Axxis kit does work for the reverse and lane watch cameras. I expected the grid lines to be missing. However, if you look at page 57 of your manual for the Pioneer, you will find the instructions to activate the guidelines, static type, not the dynamic ones that the OEM has which uses an SPS (steering position sensor) to adjust the grid lines. You can use your fingers on the screen to drag the gridline position corners.

The cameras themselves are inherent fish eye type specifically. The various views the software uses cropped versions of the output to give you the view you are seeking. Unless you were to swap out the rear and lanewatch cameras for the cameras recommended by Pioneer for the HU, you will get the black ring around the edges of the camera output.

What about the time on the gauge cluster? Does this not sync up with the aftermarket head? I know the MPG is not available any longer. Not a deal breaker for me, but considering that an aftermarket head unit is available that keeps the cameras, I'm impressed!

Cheers on the install!
Tnx!! Yep - I forgot about the built in grid lines. Good call on that. Also, I'm going to attempt to get those extra cell phone buttons tied in at some point this week. Fingers crossed. It says in the Axxess manual that I need to use the 20 pin connector. I hope there is a wire already there.

And I don't know about the time on the gauge cluster. Haven't even considered that yet. I think I saw something in the Axxess manual about it.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Tnx!! Yep - I forgot about the built in grid lines. Good call on that. Also, I'm going to attempt to get those extra cell phone buttons tied in at some point this week. Fingers crossed. It says in the Axxess manual that I need to use the 20 pin connector. I hope there is a wire already there.

And I don't know about the time on the gauge cluster. Haven't even considered that yet. I think I saw something in the Axxess manual about it.
Yeah that wire should be right at the connector harness for the HU. The main 24pin connector (A connector) has wires A22 and A23 for the steering wheel audio controls.

Schematics show that Connector B, the 20 pin is where you need to tap into the wire for the HFL, or phone buttons. Its pin# B12 which is where you need to tap into.

Cheers bud!!

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 02-22-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Yeah that wire should be right at the connector harness for the HU. The main 24pin connector (A connector) has wires A22 and A23 for the steering wheel audio controls.

Schematics show that Connector B, the 20 pin is where you need to tap into the wire for the HFL, or phone buttons. Its pin# B12 which is where you need to tap into.

Cheers bud!!
Just tried hooking up the blue-white wire (pin 12) in the 20 pin harness provided by Axxess to the grey-blue wire from the ASWC1. When I spoke to Axxess tech support, they said that it isn't confirmed working with the 2015 Fit. I pressed the phone buttons and they don't light up the ASWC1.

I found a workaround by assigning long press source to PTT, right arrow to off hook, and left arrow to hang up. That pretty much covers everything I would need 99% of the time. Only other thing I can think of is channel surfing. But definitely not a priority as I usually listen to the same presets anyways.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Just tried hooking up the blue-white wire (pin 12) in the 20 pin harness provided by Axxess to the grey-blue wire from the ASWC1. When I spoke to Axxess tech support, they said that it isn't confirmed working with the 2015 Fit. I pressed the phone buttons and they don't light up the ASWC1.

I found a workaround by assigning long press source to PTT, right arrow to off hook, and left arrow to hang up. That pretty much covers everything I would need 99% of the time. Only other thing I can think of is channel surfing. But definitely not a priority as I usually listen to the same presets anyways.

yeah a functional workaround at least. May take a few more years for an updated fix or newer module. Maybe even a better aftermarket HU that supports every feature native. Once the new updated 2018 comes out good chance it may be a whole new platform and the reverse engineering work will have to start from scratch.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:54 PM
@JP123

Circling back on this. i was researching the ASWC-1, and while the unit is meant to be auto programmed, some manual programming may be needed.

There is a mobile app that can do firmware updates for the unit, and a desktop app when connected via USB to program the unit. If your wires are connected properly, you should be able to manually program the functions. Even get some tech help with programming.

https://axxessinterfaces.com/resources/updater-software
https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_2001.pdf

The HDCC-01, they don't give you much to go on to add the extra wires, but the Metra harness does have the same color code as the Axxess unit. Trick is knowing which wire that isn't there to be added. I posted those in an earlier reply.

https://metra-static.s3.amazonaws.co...DCC-02_web.pdf

hopes this helps others. Hopfully with future firmware upgrades the Honda Fit specifically will be supported more completely.

Bass

Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Yep. I tried updating the firmware and manual programming. No dice. I've accepted that it works enough at this point. The long press pretty much takes care of the cell phone functions. But who knows... As you mentioned, maybe a future update will provide that additional functionality.