3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

!!!!! Finally my GK5 Lowered !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:51 PM
For you peeps rocking the teins -

how are your long term thoughts on these springs?

i just ordered a set

Old 05-17-2016, 03:27 PM
How did you guys do your tein spring install? I hated mine so much that i switch to swift. The spring went so low that any extra people riding in the back is too low. Stock shock is so bad with them, when going over a bump it feels like your car is jumping. When i hit a bump on the front it feels like hitting a tree.

The swift on the other hand have a perfect stance with enough height to carry 3 extra people. Good with stock strut and aftermarket.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Just ordered H&R 51831 Sport Springs for my GK5. Also opt'd for Front-20mm, Rear-25mm spacers from Amazon. should have these installed by next week and pictures shared.

Cheers!

Old 04-30-2018, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
how do those tein's ride?

I ask because, my D2's are rather .... bouncey

Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BrucesFit
How did you guys do your tein spring install? I hated mine so much that i switch to swift. The spring went so low that any extra people riding in the back is too low. Stock shock is so bad with them, when going over a bump it feels like your car is jumping. When i hit a bump on the front it feels like hitting a tree.

The swift on the other hand have a perfect stance with enough height to carry 3 extra people. Good with stock strut and aftermarket.

I feel ya on the "car is jumping" thing, I currently am in that boat and considering other options at this point

How are the swift's .... ever "jump" and/or bottom out?

Old 07-02-2018, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member
Reviving this thread as I'm at wit's end with searching for a comfortable ride.

I have a GK, and have tried:
- Swift springs + OEM shocks
- Swift springs + Koni Orange
- KW V1 Coilover (for GE) + downsizing to 15" RPF1's w/ 205/55 tires

While ride comfort is subjective, personally, all of the above ride absolutely terrible. (apologies; not meaning to offend anyone)

Does anybody have any other setups worth trying? I'm near selling the car if I can't get this ride quality issue resolved.

Please and thank you

Old 07-02-2018, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
I for sure thought the answer would be "swift", but that appears to be terrible for you. I am on Koni orange with tein's, and Swift's would be my next springs to try if comfort were a priority. In the past, swift's have always been comfortable (to me at least)

May I ask, in the past what setups would make the realm of "comfortable" for you?

Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by donkeyatdusk
Reviving this thread as I'm at wit's end with searching for a comfortable ride.

I have a GK, and have tried:
- Swift springs + OEM shocks
- Swift springs + Koni Orange
- KW V1 Coilover (for GE) + downsizing to 15" RPF1's w/ 205/55 tires

While ride comfort is subjective, personally, all of the above ride absolutely terrible. (apologies; not meaning to offend anyone)

Does anybody have any other setups worth trying? I'm near selling the car if I can't get this ride quality issue resolved.

Please and thank you

OH and.... one more thing.... did you try Swift 4H021 or Swift 4H916? they do have different spring rates.....

PN 4H021 (GE8)
Spring Rate Front: 129 Lbs/Inch
Spring Rate Rear: 117 Lbs/Inch
Front Lowering: -1.2 Inch
Rear Lowering: -1 Inch

PN 4H916 (GK5)
Spring Rate Front: 140 Lbs/Inch
Spring Rate Rear: 156 Lbs/Inch
Front Lowering: -1 Inch
Rear Lowering: -0.9 Inch

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ift-4h916.html

Old 07-04-2018, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
ugh... finally finished my longass post... hit send... and realized i've timed out and been sign out... and post is lost...

Old 07-04-2018, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
OH and.... one more thing.... did you try Swift 4H021 or Swift 4H916? they do have different spring rates.....

PN 4H021 (GE8)
Spring Rate Front: 129 Lbs/Inch
Spring Rate Rear: 117 Lbs/Inch
Front Lowering: -1.2 Inch
Rear Lowering: -1 Inch

PN 4H916 (GK5)
Spring Rate Front: 140 Lbs/Inch
Spring Rate Rear: 156 Lbs/Inch
Front Lowering: -1 Inch
Rear Lowering: -0.9 Inch
Thanks very much for the info! Didn't know about the GE Swift springs coming in softer. I had the GK Swift springs.

The short of the story is, while the suspension bothers the humans (myself, my gf, my family, my friends -- all go "oof" when I hit any everyday bump), the real motivation of trying to smooth out the ride is for my dog. She's really sensitive, shy and fearful, and already hated riding in cars to begin with. I bought the Fit specifically to be our dog car, and seeing how much she hates it breaks my heart. That, and I actually really like the Fit. Always wanted a small car, and the fuel efficiency is amazing. Just this goddamned suspension problem.

I never had another car with rear-torsion beam, so I don't have a valid apples to apples comparison, but I can say my 1996 track Integra, at F:560lb R:450lb, rides better than the Fit. In suspension frequency terms, that's roughly 2.0 GHz, and 2.5 GHz. I have no idea how to calculate for MacPherson / RTB

Contemplating swapping out the KWs and giving OEM dampers a shot again with either Eibach Pro-Kit springs (progressive rates all around), or the Teins (I loved my 2001 TL w/ Tein SS coilovers, though of course, not a fair comparison). Labor on the Fit is so expensive too... especially for alignment...

That, or just put everything back to stock, which as I remember felt really floaty and unstable at anything over 50mph. Sigh.

Sorry if this is coming off like I'm venting. Please read as someone who is just really frustrated and feeling helpless while looking at a terrified dog in the rear-view mirror. I'm supposed to be knowledgable w/ cars and suspension, but the Fit has me near defeated

Old 07-04-2018, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
Have you thought about putting smaller wheels with a larger sidewall tire to give some extra cushion?

Old 07-04-2018, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Have you thought about putting smaller wheels with a larger sidewall tire to give some extra cushion?
Yup, did that. From OEM 16's, I first tried running my Integra's starfish 15x6 w/ Dunlop ZII 205/50's. That helped a bit. But those were my old beat up track tires, so the droning noise was hugely annoying.

OEM 16's + tires weighed in at 38.5 lbs. The starfishes + tires were 34 lbs. I've read mixed review as to effects of reducing unsprung mass on ride quality...

Hoping for more, I double-downed on a set of 15x7 RPF-1's, w/ Dunlop DZ102 205/55-15's. This combo weighs in at 30 lbs. The effects are more a trade-off, rather than an overall improvement. Small road imperfections and rumbles are more noticeable, whereas larger gut punching bumps are reduced. The DZ102's are pretty noisy too. I've always been a Bridgestone guy; don't think I'll try any more Dunlop products again.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
How about 14s? I've thought about doing it as my Fit is the commuter car so trying to eek out as much MPG out of it as possible. I didn't want it to be so "squishy" in the corners with the taller sidewalls though.

I think lightweight 15"s are a good compromise size on the Fit for handling and comfort.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
I hope the eibach's work out for ya. the last line of defense would be, trying the ge8 specific swift's, as they do have a lower spring rate

off topic ... what did you end up doing with your old swifts?

Old 07-05-2018, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
if anyone wants eibach's.... $125 on ebay, 25 for shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17338179775...torefresh=true

Old 07-05-2018, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
How about 14s? I've thought about doing it as my Fit is the commuter car so trying to eek out as much MPG out of it as possible. I didn't want it to be so "squishy" in the corners with the taller sidewalls though.

I think lightweight 15"s are a good compromise size on the Fit for handling and comfort.
Do 14s fit? Front brake rotors already look mighty close to the 15 RPF-1's

I can't speak for handling of light weight wheels (yet)... but as far as ride comfort... I think the conflicting messages that I've read elsewhere (some say better, some say worse) are both true -- playing with wheel mass just shifts the reactivity between smaller road imperfections and larger bumps.

From the Fit OEM 16s to my Integra 15s on 205/50, the ride comfort effects were most apparent, smoother all-round.

From Integra's 205/50-15 to the lighter RPF-1s w/ 205/55-15, the ride comfort shifted. Small road imperfections are significantly more noticeable, whereas larger crashing bumps are reduced. I did read that lighter weight means more subtle movements (less mass to move around), so that does seem consistent w/ what I'm feeling running a lighter wheel. I suspect the larger bumps are getting damped out by the 55 sidewall height. Potentially there's also the effects of the different tires, Dunlop ZII vs Dunzop DZ102, and the fact that the DZ102's are still new -- maybe they'll quiet down / soften up a bit after some more use.

I hope the eibach's work out for ya. the last line of defense would be, trying the ge8 specific swift's, as they do have a lower spring rate

off topic ... what did you end up doing with your old swifts?
Sold the Swifts with the Koni Oranges. Eibachs..... we'll see next time around when I'm feeling an impulse purchase

Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Sold the Swifts with the Koni Oranges. Eibachs..... we'll see next time around when I'm feeling an impulse purchase
this ebay seller is callin ya

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17338179775...torefresh=true

Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
omg lol

Old 07-06-2018, 12:26 PM
omg lol
30 minute warning. I'm buying them at 12:45 EST.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
tip ... I offered $100 flat and seller counter offered me $120. see if you can go a little lower.... lol

Quick Reply: !!!!! Finally my GK5 Lowered !!!!!