3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn
You should. Whichever end you add/stiffen the bar will make that end slide easier. If you add a rear bar, you should drive in slippery conditions with more caution because it will make it more likely to spin out turning off throttle. This is the real reason a rear bar is added, not to reduce roll. It really doesn't reduce roll much at all. It's for people who want the back to slide out easier for faster turning.
Before the body would snap over with the body roll in turns. It feels way better now. I guess I should have said more controlled rather than no sliding. I don't mind a controlled scandinavian flick every once in awhile. I don't see many slippery conditions living in California!

Old 03-18-2016, 01:27 PM
I’m really enjoying my RSB and thinking about getting some Swift Springs to go with it. I’d love to hear from anyone who has done both RSB and springs.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kingjerry14
Before the body would snap over with the body roll in turns. It feels way better now. I guess I should have said more controlled rather than no sliding. I don't mind a controlled scandinavian flick every once in awhile. I don't see many slippery conditions living in California!
yea I called that body rebound and it practically went away with the bar installed.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit419
I’m really enjoying my RSB and thinking about getting some Swift Springs to go with it. I’d love to hear from anyone who has done both RSB and springs.
I've got a progress rsb and swift springs. I'm very happy with the combination. Daily driving is much more satisfying and my fit doesn't look slammed—rather a clean modest drop.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by WagovanMan
I've got a progress rsb and swift springs. I'm very happy with the combination. Daily driving is much more satisfying and my fit doesn't look slammed—rather a clean modest drop.
Nice! That's what I was hoping to hear!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:04 AM
JHN makes a good point, unless you're in a situation where the body roll is so severe that it is yanking the outboard wheel off the ground slightly, adding a stiffer swaybar will REDUCE grip, not add it. We didnt stop making cars with solid front axles because tying the suspension together is a GOOD idea, the new mclarens dont have swaybars at all. Dont forget stiffer and lower doesnt mean more grip. (tires do)

Old 05-17-2016, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
the BMW M3 touring cars that dominated back int eh day ran really stiff springs and no bars.. And those cars were FAST.. Isle of Mann fast..

Old 05-19-2016, 02:14 PM
jhn
I subscribe to the SSBB crowd (soft spring big bars). Even NASCAR and the dirt track guys are going this way.

Tune the bump stops.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Progress Sway Bar

I just installed the Prgress rear sway bar. The bar is 19mm in diameter and is solid, according to the factory.
Nedpoins
2015 EX
Crystal Black Peal CVT
Tint
Auto-Dimming Day/Night mirror w/compass and universal opener
Mishimoto Oil Filler Cap

Old 03-09-2017, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matthorkan@gmail.com
JHN makes a good point, unless you're in a situation where the body roll is so severe that it is yanking the outboard wheel off the ground slightly, adding a stiffer swaybar will REDUCE grip, not add it. We didnt stop making cars with solid front axles because tying the suspension together is a GOOD idea, the new mclarens dont have swaybars at all. Dont forget stiffer and lower doesnt mean more grip. (tires do)
well to be fair, you are only going to grip as well as your tires can.

for many, the sway bar on these cars reduces the massive body roll these things have. Even taking a normal corner around where I live at speed (55) you could feel the whole car just lean outside and then rebound back the other way when you complete the corner. Add sway bar and that rebounding roll is gone. the suspension on these cars stock is so squishy it just goes all over the place for the sake of ride comfort.

I really think these cars should have been designed with one, even a smallish diameter one just to balance out the body roll. Yea if you are driving around town or city at low speeds you'll never know but out in the mountains on curvy roads you'll notice it and you'll hate it.

Obviously the thin stock oem crap tires are not up to the job of stiff suspensions, hell they are barely up to the job of driving well on a damp road.

Seems most people doing suspension upgrades are also getting wider and stickier tires which will most definitely help. Now if you go all batshit crazy with the suspension and it isn't even close to being well done then yea you kind of run into problems but sway bar + some lightly upgraded springs isn't going to kill anyone...well unless they are on OEM tires, then I'd be scared.

progress bar + swift spring is where I am at, once I install the spring, then get new tires I suspect it should be a bit more fun around here to drive OR I can hope my wife doens't like it and I can finally get her to agree to buying a 3rd car that is our sporty car that we can both drive