3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Winter Tires

Hello,

I recently acquired a 2015 Honda Fit EX [CANADA] and I will have my first experience driving in winter. After doing some searching, I decided on the Bridgestone-Blizzak WS80 from Costco but my concern is that they only offer the tire for the LX model. This is my first time doing anything with winter and tires so I'm new to the whole experience. Will I be able to buy these tires or will I have to go for the exact specifications of the EX tires? Here is the link for the tires. Costco.ca: Shop for Tires

Thanks

Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
First off, a tire isn't designed for a specific model car, it is design for a certain sized rim. The EX rim is 16" and the LX rims are 15". Since the different trim levels of the Fit are basically the same car aside from a few minor differences, you could use LX wheels on an EX and vice versa.

Since you plan on running winters, you must decide whether you will use the same rims for winter and for summer use. This would envolve taking the tires off the rims every time you change seasons. I would personally advise against that; you'd have to rebalance the wheels every time you change the tyres and I think it's potentially bad for the tyres.

What most canucks do is that they buy steel rims (steelies). The base model fit is basically that: steel wheels with hub caps rather than the nice mags the EX gets. So I recommend you buy a set of steel rims (you can get them at Costco for about 50$ a wheel) and have some winters permanently mounted on these so when winter comes along, you simply have to swap wheels and only need to get them balanced the first time you get them put on.

I myself, go for a smaller rim size for winter. You get a taller sidewall and get a little bit more comfort over bumpy snow covered roads. So I recommend you remove your nice summer rims and store them for the winter and install the LX 15" sized steel rims with winter tires for use in the harsh slush and road salt. Also, check out Pneus à Rabais.com® - Pneus en ligne et Pneus d'hiver. Those same tyres are available from this site for cheaper. Perhaps see if Costco can make you a deal for a set of steelies and tyres.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
I used to buy tires from Costco until I did comparison shopping. To me it seems cheaper and better value to get tires from American's Tires. I actually get better service with American's Tires and they always took care of me even though one set of tires I didn't buy from them they fixed the flat anyway for free. Added benefit for me they are across the street from my work place so I can drop my car off and get lunch. By the time lunch is done car is ready.

For some reason my local Costco does not carry Yokohama tires so always have to get it from other guys.