3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Any Good Aftermarket Shocks Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Any Good Aftermarket Shocks Yet?

Howdy Friends,

I feel like my suspension (especially the rear) has very little travel. The stock ride is poor and I would love to upgrade.

Are there any good shock upgrades available yet? Preferably that would pair well with Swift springs?

Thanks,
Dustin

Old 10-21-2016, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Just replaced my factory shocks/struts with Koni "orange" STR.T made for 2nd gen Fits. I'm running Swift Springs for the GK as well as a Progress RSB. Its only been a couple of days, but the improvement is very noticeable. Gone is the floaty sensation and I'm finally satisfied with the suspension characteristics. Getting a lot more planted feeling with nice feedback from the road, but it's not at all harsh or jarring. Still rocking stock tires and wheels. Upgrading those next.

I know these aren't specifically designed for the GK, but GE Koni shocks/struts seem to work just fine.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the reply and information.

Do the Koni's seem to reduce the harshness of bumps, railroad tracks, and potholes?

The floaty feeling is rather nuts. The first and only thing I have done is 16x7s with some summer 205s. It has helped a bunch, but the float is still noticeable.

Thanks again.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
No the Konis definitely do not reduce harshness. Stiffer, more compliant suspension also means more feedback. Stock suspension would be ideal for reducing the bumpiness of your everyday road, but it also mean you feel like you're floating around. After a few more days of driving on these Konis, I can definitely feel the road like never before, but it's the price you pay for wanting to hug corners at questionable speeds... And I still wouldn't consider it jarring like coilovers might be.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 AM
A comfortable ride does not have to be compromised for better handling. We can get both more comfort and more performance, but it seems that no vendors have taken the leap yet. It seems that Honda definitely did not want to fund a better rear suspension. The Fit has really good pricing. I feel like they had to cut some corners to keep the cost low and the suspension might have been at the top of the list.

I'm wondering if this is a 2015 model issue? We both have 2015s. I have test driven the HRV a few times now and it is considerably more planted with also a better ride. Do newer Fits also have the floaty and rear suspension issues?

Old 04-18-2017, 01:33 PM
The lack of interest in the GK Fit's suspension by aftermarket companies is really disappointing. I wish we could get some decently-priced strut or bushing options...

Old 04-19-2017, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit419
The lack of interest in the GK Fit's suspension by aftermarket companies is really disappointing. I wish we could get some decently-priced strut or bushing options...
Not sanctioned by Koni, but JHN ran these Koni Struts/Shocks (Koni STR.T Orange Shocks 8750-1102L, 8750-1102R, 8050-1131 on his and he said he really liked them. Search for his thread where he shows the install and comparison pictures. These are the ones mentioned earlier in the thread.

After replacing stock tires with 205/50/16 the suspension is apparently lacking with the better grip.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Not sanctioned by Koni, but JHN ran these Koni Struts/Shocks (Koni STR.T Orange Shocks 8750-1102L, 8750-1102R, 8050-1131 on his and he said he really liked them. Search for his thread where he shows the install and comparison pictures. These are the ones mentioned earlier in the thread.

After replacing stock tires with 205/50/16 the suspension is apparently lacking with the better grip.
That's what I'ma probably do. It's just disappointing that we can't get much GK-specific stuff...

Old 04-19-2017, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be following along too to see if anyone gets an oem type shock that they really like.

I've been really closely considering the rear swaybar but the lack of funds haven't been allowing me. I know the geometry of the rear suspension and totally believe its built-in ability to flex is the key issue with the float that we feel. It's impossible for the fit rear suspension to go upward only on one side and still have the rear wheels pointing in a straight line. Combine that with a perfect target for wind and you get a floating tail end.

A sway bar even though it doesn't mount to the uni-body/frame can still help reduce the torsion bar flex effect we get in the back. At least then we would only get the poor suspension angle effect and less flex effect.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Modifying the suspension is stupid. Not only does it increase the chance of accidents, it also can cause failure of the strut towers and cracks in the frame. Only ignorant, immature, ricer wannabes install "aftermarket crap".

Old 04-19-2017, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
Modifying the suspension is stupid. Not only does it increase the chance of accidents, it also can cause failure of the strut towers and cracks in the frame. Only ignorant, immature, ricer wannabes install "aftermarket crap".

With that attitude I bet you really have your hands full with this entire forum...

Old 04-19-2017, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Dont feed the troll..

Old 04-19-2017, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Really, how does it increase the the chance of accident? Inquiring minds want to know. Do you have any data to support this claim, or are you just talking out of the wrong hole?

Again, what going to fail in the strut tower? Do you have any data to support this as a result of aftermarket struts and not a design engineering defect?

while I don't see anyone with a Fit buying or installing, I wouldn't call $10K with of Penske shocks or even $5-6K with of Moton or JRZ shocks aftermarket crap. Referencing the Koni from an earlier post. I have $600 worth of Koni yellow on my WRX. While not I need the same league as the Penske or even JRZ I still wouldn't cosider them crap

Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 PM
Hahaha this guy

Last edited by fit419; 04-20-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
Really, how does it increase the the chance of accident? Inquiring minds want to know. Do you have any data to support this claim, or are you just talking out of the wrong hole?

Again, what going to fail in the strut tower? Do you have any data to support this as a result of aftermarket struts and not a design engineering defect?

while I don't see anyone with a Fit buying or installing, I wouldn't call $10K with of Penske shocks or even $5-6K with of Moton or JRZ shocks aftermarket crap. Referencing the Koni from an earlier post. I have $600 worth of Koni yellow on my WRX. While not I need the same league as the Penske or even JRZ I still wouldn't cosider them crap
Five Cheap Suspension Mods You Should Never Do to Your Car

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...owering-my-car

Last edited by john21031; 04-19-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member

Just as I suspected, you're talking out of the wrong hole. The links you provided have nothing to do with the OP talking about engineered lowering springs and engineered Koni struts. There's a big difference between those and cutting the OEM coil springs to reduce height or lower the car. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall anywhere in this thread about adding wheel spacers to change the wheel offset? N

i didn't bother to read the second, but the minute I had seen the photo of the slammed Caddy, again Au knew it had nothing to do with adding quality race oriented struts or coil overs. Just by looking at the Caddy, that car is either on air ride or hydraulic suspension.

No no where in this thread has any mention of camber, but since the links you provided talk about it I'll address that too. There's a huge difference between adding 2 degrees of negative camber to help with the deficiencies of the McPherson front suspension during cornering. It's not a "stance" car with 205 wide tires stretched on 9" wide rims with aggressive camber to make the wheels fit sort of under the wheel wleell.

So again please tell me how adding Koni struts with slightly more aggressive valving that are designed to work with stock or mild sport springs is going to cause an accident, damage the strut towers and/or crack the frame rails?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Dont feed the troll..
You're so right and I feel bad for even offering crumbs. The guy comes in with off the wall stuff but has a thread open, asking about shocks and adjustable shocks, etc... can't believe he would venture away from what the dealership service writer would offer him. Additionally, that is a serious post count for a troll. I honestly assumed sarcasm until I read his other posts.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
I blame too much weed..

Old 04-21-2017, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
The guy comes in with off the wall stuff but has a thread open, asking about shocks and adjustable shocks,
You are right that I asked about shocks in a separate thread and I did not receive any responses.

I never mentioned anything about adjustable shocks. I don't know where you pulled that from. Must be from your own mind...

I am only interested in replacing shocks wither either OEM shocks/strusts, or replacements that are direct replacements.

I've only seen three brands of rear struts for 2012 and none of them had any reviews.

Hence when I saw this thread discussing struts, it became apparent that people here are talking about "performance", modified, and other deviations from the standard suspension designs, something I absolutely have no interest in.

And yes, I do believe that "modding" a honda fit, is something that is done mostly by people with limited budgets, i.e. teenagers, who can't afford true performance vehicles, but find "cheap ways" to "rice up", their hondas, and make them "faster", or "handle better".

All of this is often done in a very thoughtless way and often results at best with decreased reliability, and at worst with accidents.
Looks at his video for example....

Now, I don't mean to insult anyone who wishes to spend their money on "modding the car", but I am still looking for feedback on replacement, OEM type struts and shocks. And if you can direct me to that information, I would appreciate it.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
Just as I suspected, you're talking out of the wrong hole. The links you provided have nothing to do with the OP talking about engineered lowering springs and engineered Koni struts. There's a big difference between those and cutting the OEM coil springs to reduce height or lower the car. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall anywhere in this thread about adding wheel spacers to change the wheel offset? N

i didn't bother to read the second, but the minute I had seen the photo of the slammed Caddy, again Au knew it had nothing to do with adding quality race oriented struts or coil overs. Just by looking at the Caddy, that car is either on air ride or hydraulic suspension.

No no where in this thread has any mention of camber, but since the links you provided talk about it I'll address that too. There's a huge difference between adding 2 degrees of negative camber to help with the deficiencies of the McPherson front suspension during cornering. It's not a "stance" car with 205 wide tires stretched on 9" wide rims with aggressive camber to make the wheels fit sort of under the wheel wleell.

So again please tell me how adding Koni struts with slightly more aggressive valving that are designed to work with stock or mild sport springs is going to cause an accident, damage the strut towers and/or crack the frame rails?
I posted these links to demonstrate that there is a lot of science behind suspension design and modification. And my argument is that MOST people who modify their suspensions have no idea about this science. Not even close.

The result? Damaged rims, spin outs, accidents, expensive repairs, cracked frame, etc.

Therefore, I am not interested in modifying the original design, which is optimized for many things including reliability, which is one of my priorities.

Let me reiterate, you and everyone else is free to spend their money on any modification their heart desires. I am not telling people what to do. But to me, it is senseless, immature, and pretentious, at best... dangerous and annoying at most (e.g. missing mufflers, lowered cars that bounce and lose control in front of me in a freeway ramp, etc).

What got you so upset that you began using profanity and insults?

Quick Reply: Any Good Aftermarket Shocks Yet?