3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Wheel Locks

For those who are going to order wheel locks, you will need ball seat type lugs for the stock OEM wheels.

Honda lug size is 12 x 1.5

I ordered a set of x20 wheel locks from eBay via the seller 'tuneshop.' If you use the Best Offer button, you can get a set for 42.00$ with free shipping.

If you want the same set, search in ebay for:
20 ALL LOCK GORILLA HONDA BALL RADIUS STOCK OEM WHEELS LUG NUTS 12X1.5 M12 1.5

Sample sale here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-ALL-LOCK-GORILLA-HONDA-BALL-RADIUS-STOCK-OEM-WHEELS-LUG-NUTS-12X1-5-M12-1-5-/400280510857?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item5d3293e189&vxp=mtr

*Note: Wheel locks are not guaranteed to prevent wheel theft, but they will slow thieves down. Since all four of your lugs will have locks on them, it will take them significantly more amount of time to steal the wheels, so they will most likely skip over you as a target.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TofuShop
.........GORILLA........ ......
Those are the exact locks I got for my LX. They have arrived but the car seems to be taking its time!!! LOL!!!

Its getting close. Figure it will be in my garage in the next three weeks.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Those are the exact locks I got for my LX. They have arrived but the car seems to be taking its time!!! LOL!!!

Its getting close. Figure it will be in my garage in the next three weeks.
i'm in the same boat. still waiting..

and for every extra day i wait, i manage to order a new part for a car i do not have yet

Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 PM
For those who are going to order wheel locks, you will need ball seat type lugs for the stock OEM wheels.

Honda lug size is 12 x 1.5

I ordered a set of x20 wheel locks from eBay via the seller 'tuneshop.' If you use the Best Offer button, you can get a set for 42.00$ with free shipping.

If you want the same set, search in ebay for:
20 ALL LOCK GORILLA HONDA BALL RADIUS STOCK OEM WHEELS LUG NUTS 12X1.5 M12 1.5

Sample sale here:
20 All Lock Gorilla Honda Ball Radius Stock Wheels Lug Nuts 12x1 5 M12 1 5 | eBay

*Note: Wheel locks are not guaranteed to prevent wheel theft, but they will slow thieves down. Since all four of your lugs will have locks on them, it will take them significantly more amount of time to steal the wheels, so they will most likely skip over you as a target.
On the topic of wheel locks, would these fit?

Gorilla Automotive 71631NBC Acorn Black Chrome Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) Pack of 4

Robot Check

Last edited by yuffers; 08-27-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:20 PM
i'm in the same boat. still waiting..

and for every extra day i wait, i manage to order a new part for a car i do not have yet
I'm trying my best not to order anything.

I find myself saying "Ohhhh, that would look so awesome on/in my fit!.......that I don't have yet".

Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you I just returned the set of 4 lug to amazon and ordered these 20 lugs for only $42. This is so much cheaper for a whole set.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
TofuShop said Note: Wheel locks are not guaranteed to prevent wheel theft, but they will slow thieves down. Since all four of your lugs will have locks on them, it will take them significantly more amount of time to steal the wheels, so they will most likely skip over you as a target.

I wonder if it would also slow down the guy rotating my tires? I read your supposed to hand tighten and loosen these things (can't use pneumatic tools). If that is true, I can't imagine what would be going through the guys head when he saw 20 of these locks on a car. I already have my doubts he would stop and hand remove and tighten just 1 per wheel, let alone 4 for each tire.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
TofuShop said Note: Wheel locks are not guaranteed to prevent wheel theft, but they will slow thieves down. Since all four of your lugs will have locks on them, it will take them significantly more amount of time to steal the wheels, so they will most likely skip over you as a target.

I wonder if it would also slow down the guy rotating my tires? I read your supposed to hand tighten and loosen these things (can't use pneumatic tools). If that is true, I can't imagine what would be going through the guys head when he saw 20 of these locks on a car. I already have my doubts he would stop and hand remove and tighten just 1 per wheel, let alone 4 for each tire.

Its just one key that you will be handing to the tire rotating guy so I don't think it will slow him down.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by payluder
Its just one key that you will be handing to the tire rotating guy so I don't think it will slow him down.
Hand the guy a tire iron and wheel lock key in one hand, and an impact wrench in the other, and see which he reaches for. They use impact wrenches because they are so fast, both with removal and installation. They only use a manual torque wrench at the end (sometimes), to verify the correct torque, not to install the lug nut.

Last edited by Vanguard; 08-27-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Hand the guy a tire iron and wheel lock key in one hand, and an impact wrench in the other, and see which he reaches for. They use impact wrenches because they are so fast, both with removal and installation. They only use a manual torque wrench at the end (sometimes), to verify the correct torque, not to install the lug nut.
I've used impact wrench with the key many times in the past and have zero problems. Am I using it wrong?

Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 PM
I've used impact wrench with the key many times in the past and have zero problems. Am I using it wrong?
When receiving the wheel locks, can one just use the key along with the lug wrench instead of a torque wrench...sorry for the ignorance im not well versed in cars

Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yuffers
When receiving the wheel locks, can one just use the key along with the lug wrench instead of a torque wrench...sorry for the ignorance im not well versed in cars
I believe you can use any wrench you want if you have the correct size socket for the key.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
I believe you can use any wrench you want if you have the correct size socket for the key.
This is the information I read originally when I was researching locking lug nuts (from the McGard site:

"By hand, install a McGard Wheel Lock onto each wheel. Use one lock per wheel.
Notice: Impact guns usually cannot be set and/or maintain proper pressure to obtain proper installation torque and should not be used for lock installation. Use of impact guns (pneumatic, electric, etc.) for installation may cause over tightening and permanent damage to lock and key. Never use an impact gun with a key that has a cable or that is attached to another object via a cable or other means".

I have read many other posts discussing the dangers of using impact wrenches to install and remove locking lug nuts. Keep in mind, I'm not certain if they are discussing the guy at Wal-Mart/Firestone/Sears/Sam's, or the owner who likes doing his own work and is careful and takes his time. I suggest the liability rests with whoever is doing the work.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by yuffers
On the topic of wheel locks, would these fit?

Gorilla Automotive 71631NBC Acorn Black Chrome Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) Pack of 4

Robot Check
No, those are Acorn seat, you need ball seat. The thread pitch and size is right though.

This is the information I read originally when I was researching locking lug nuts (from the McGard site:

"By hand, install a McGard Wheel Lock onto each wheel. Use one lock per wheel.
Notice: Impact guns usually cannot be set and/or maintain proper pressure to obtain proper installation torque and should not be used for lock installation. Use of impact guns (pneumatic, electric, etc.) for installation may cause over tightening and permanent damage to lock and key. Never use an impact gun with a key that has a cable or that is attached to another object via a cable or other means".

I have read many other posts discussing the dangers of using impact wrenches to install and remove locking lug nuts. Keep in mind, I'm not certain if they are discussing the guy at Wal-Mart/Firestone/Sears/Sam's, or the owner who likes doing his own work and is careful and takes his time. I suggest the liability rests with whoever is doing the work.
No you should not use air to install locking nuts.

IMO you should never use impact guns to install lugnuts, period, locking or otherwise. This holds especially true for tire jockys who are too careless to hand start lugnuts before using the impact. That is what crossthreads lugnuts, when they do that. Usually they don't use torque sticks properly either.

If you are DIY with air tools you should hand start all of the lugnuts, use a torque stick that's 20 ft/lbs lower than final torque and do the last 20 ft/lbs with a torque wrench.

They don't have time for that though they're trying to push cars out.

Just ask the installer not to use air putting the lugnuts back on.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:50 AM
m_x
Extremely helpful thread, thanks TofuShop.

I am looking at the Gorilla Locks posted above and they look good! I am between those and the OEMs, but I'm thinking; are the OEMs unique at all, or do all Honda OEM wheel locks have the same key? Because it seems to me that even a moron of a thief might figure that out and bring an OEM Honda key with them when the go out to target Honda wheels, no?

Even if they are unique, the Gorillas are definitely a better price per lug.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x
Extremely helpful thread, thanks TofuShop.

I am looking at the Gorilla Locks posted above and they look good! I am between those and the OEMs, but I'm thinking; are the OEMs unique at all, or do all Honda OEM wheel locks have the same key? Because it seems to me that even a moron of a thief might figure that out and bring an OEM Honda key with them when the go out to target Honda wheels, no?

Even if they are unique, the Gorillas are definitely a better price per lug.
I was wondering the same thing. I mean for less than $40.00, a local thief could access several thousand dollars of wheels and tires. Something else to keep in mind, I read an article that indicated the Honda Fit wheels specifically were a hot item for thief's and very easy for them to sell. No easy answers, but at a minimum, I am going to at least get one locking lug nut on each wheel (to deter that one thief who does not think to get his own key).

Old 08-28-2014, 12:24 PM
m_x
Actually, for that matter, are the Gorillas unique? Same logic...

The description implies that they are unique, but curious for first hand experience.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Gorilla locking lugs are semi-unique. They come with a key that has a number. I don't know how many different keys they have floating around. They supply you with a small sticker with the key number on it incase you loose it and need to order another one.

I would assume Honda would be the same, but i've never used the OEM locks. I have a set of Gorilla locking lugs though.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
OEM locks are made by McGard. On the case they come with, there is a serial code for the key required to unlock them. They make several variants.

Same w/ Gorilla, there is a serial key sticker that comes w/ your box of locks. There are various keys.

So no, buying one set will not give you access to steal everything your heart desires.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 AM
These wheel locks will fit the 2015 Fit EX, too, correct? Thanks in advance..and sorry if stupid question. I know the EX has 16" rims and know nothing about cars so wanted to dbl check before ordering any!

Quick Reply: Wheel Locks