3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

Tire pressure monitoring system?

Old 06-22-2015, 02:29 AM
Tire pressure monitoring system?

This car is the first I ever had that comes with this somewhat annoying (according to my friend) feature. I have some questions. Will this system alert me if tire has too much air? I would like to go above the pressure that is recommended on the sticker in driver's door. Also, what happens if I rotate the wheels? Will it know which wheel is in which position? Does it care?

Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Unlike the TPMS system in the previous generation Fit. The GK (3rd gen) Fit uses the ABS sensor system to compare the rotational speed of the four tires to determine if a tire is low on air (low pressure=smaller effective diameter=higher rotational speed). There are no sensors in the tires.

Yes, changing the tire pressure (adding/releasing air) may set off the TPMS system, but it is a simple task to calibrate it (instructions are in the owner's manual), and you can do it yourself. I run my tires a couple of pounds over "recommended" with no trouble. The system is not looking for exact pressure, just difference in rolling diameter.

The nice part of this system is there are no expensive sensors in the wheels to fail. This means you can run different wheels (summer/winter) without having to buy extra sensors (and dealer calibration). The system will work with any wheels you put on. You'll have to calibrate it for the change, but, as I said, that's pretty easy.

Although it could, I don't think the TPMS system in this car is set up to alert you to WHICH tire is low.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 06-22-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Soon2015FitWillBeMine
This car is the first I ever had that comes with this somewhat annoying (according to my friend) feature. I have some questions. Will this system alert me if tire has too much air? I would like to go above the pressure that is recommended on the sticker in driver's door. Also, what happens if I rotate the wheels? Will it know which wheel is in which position? Does it care?

What does the usa model come with wheel pressure? Mexican fit does not come with any security. It just came with two air bags and seat belts. Shm I begging to hate honda.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
There were a few times I got the pressure alert and found a slow leak in a tire due to a nail being stuck in it. So in those cases, it worked. Once I had a flat tire that I didn't see because it was late at work in the dark and I didn't notice the tire was flat until I tried to pull out. No warning because the tires didn't rotate yet. Recently I got an alert when I loaded up 3 other people for a ride on a warm day. I got out checked each tire for punctures and air pressure and all looked good. The front tires were reading 31 psi and the rear about 35. Got home and I filled the fronts to about 33 and the sensor still stayed on so I just reset it. It's not a perfect system but I still like it.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Id rather have a system that I can reset myself, than have the dealer reset because theres a problem with it.

As the saying goes, if the part (sensors in tires) isn't in the design, then that part will never fail you!

Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz

What does the usa model come with wheel pressure? Mexican fit does not come with any security. It just came with two air bags and seat belts. Shm I begging to hate honda.
Tire pressure monitoring systems have been mandated in the US for new cars since 2008 courtesy of the federal government. That's why we get it and you don't. Apparently Mexico doesn't require it.

Don't blame Honda, blame different laws in different countries.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:30 PM
It's not the best system since it can't tell you which tire is low, but it does work. Had it save me a couple times where a slow puncture leak had reduced the pressure enough that you couldn't really feel it driving in a straight line but going too fast in a turn could lead to disaster if it weren't for the warning light telling you something is up. False positives are rare too.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Tire pressure monitoring systems have been mandated in the US for new cars since 2008 courtesy of the federal government. That's why we get it and you don't. Apparently Mexico doesn't require it.
Mexico doesn't have as many tort lawyers as the US!

Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Cool

Well in not to blame Honda per se but mexican consumers and laws but indeed honda has a lot to blame.

The mexican model comes with any security. The only security it has is ABS and two air bags(frontal). It even comes with just one key in the lx model.

It lack of everything else like VSA, Hill Assist, ESA, EP, tire monitor(what I was not aware), Maintenance reminder, Breake assist, Back up camera with sensors. And they are not availble even though it has the same price and it is made in here.

Another annoyance is that it is required to change the oil every 3 miles if not you will lose the guarantee( as I am seeing there it goes up to 9 miles). That makes the maintenance cost pretty expensive.

The biggest complain is that they did not even recall the bumper problem in early models. International honda said that it was not requiere in the law so they did not do it.

But is not the only brand that does this, but being a reputable brand with loyal costumers this is a deal breaker. At least this vehicle is no seeing that much for this reason. We pay the same and we got less equipment and less security. Remember tacit airbag defect, here they did not change it even though it was a global problem.

That why not im looking for a mazada 2. It is the first honda I have ever own I like the oil consumption but being in a hard accident that almost killed me my first concern is the security.

Anyways, good to know honda USA is pretty good. Cheers for you all.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz
Well in not to blame Honda per se but mexican consumers and laws but indeed honda has a lot to blame.

The mexican model comes with any security. The only security it has is ABS and two air bags(frontal). It even comes with just one key in the lx model.

It lack of everything else like VSA, Hill Assist, ESA, EP, tire monitor(what I was not aware), Maintenance reminder, Breake assist, Back up camera with sensors. And they are not availble even though it has the same price and it is made in here.

Another annoyance is that it is required to change the oil every 3 miles if not you will lose the guarantee( as I am seeing there it goes up to 9 miles). That makes the maintenance cost pretty expensive.

The biggest complain is that they did not even recall the bumper problem in early models. International honda said that it was not requiere in the law so they did not do it.

But is not the only brand that does this, but being a reputable brand with loyal costumers this is a deal breaker. At least this vehicle is no seeing that much for this reason. We pay the same and we got less equipment and less security. Remember tacit airbag defect, here they did not change it even though it was a global problem.

That why not im looking for a mazada 2. It is the first honda I have ever own I like the oil consumption but being in a hard accident that almost killed me my first concern is the security.

Anyways, good to know honda USA is pretty good. Cheers for you all.
How much does a Fit cost in Mexico? I assume it's cheaper.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Redd
How much does a Fit cost in Mexico? I assume it's cheaper.
The lx model is around 210,000 pesos. The 1 dollar is 15.6 to 16 pesos. That make it around 13,000 dollars. It is like 2 grand less. But we do not pay destination fees, international duties, or anything related, It comes streigth form the factory.

Still pretty expensive compared to even bigger cars. And pretty expensive if you account that the minimum wage is 4 dollars a day.

BTW what do you think about the mazada 2?