3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

Snow Tires, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Here is what I told an Indian (from India, not native Indian, or Indianan) guy new to Toronto. On a day with snow on the ground, find a large parking lot, stay away from the light poles. Accelerate your car to 20mph, keep the steering wheel straight, slam on the brakes and bring the car to a stop. You'll hear the ABS kick in. Stop in a straight line. Try this at increasing speeds until you get used to it. Then do the same but turn the wheel slightly when you slam on the brakes. The car will rotate slightly. This will get you used to slightly losing traction on snow. The more you practice the more at ease you will be in snow and ice.

You can also take winter driving classes from BMW and private schools.

After a while, when there is no traffic or nearby obstacles, you'll be turning off your ABS, pulling the hand brake and sliding the car's rear into corners. This might freak out the wife, but she'll get used to it.
This is one of those activities that is both fun and educational. And, no, the wife will never get used to it.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
On a day with snow on the ground, find a large parking lot, stay away from the light poles.
Had a half-share of an 1970 (71?) MG Midget once. Its engine and gearbox were about half its weight and far forward. It was much more stable going backwards when doing this, no matter which way you started out.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
I grew up in the South (Georgia, mostly), and have lived in the Middle West for fourteen years now. Bought my first set of snows for my Fit EX last winter and wish I had done this years ago. I did go -1 on the wheel size - taller sidewall for our potholed winter roads.

es

Old 09-21-2015, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
I grew up in the South (Georgia, mostly), and have lived in the Middle West for fourteen years now. Bought my first set of snows for my Fit EX last winter and wish I had done this years ago. I did go -1 on the wheel size - taller sidewall for our potholed winter roads.

es
It is interesting that you thought to go -1 and get a taller sidewall, to a 15. Here in Toronto I find that the snow fills in the potholes, freezes, and smooths everything out. Then after a couple of freeze/thaw cycles the crack gets larger.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
It is interesting that you thought to go -1 and get a taller sidewall, to a 15. Here in Toronto I find that the snow fills in the potholes, freezes, and smooths everything out. Then after a couple of freeze/thaw cycles the crack gets larger.
A smaller size usually means a taller sidewall, so it should even out the diameter - more or less. The standard Fit tire has a 55 profile, but the smaller size has a 60, so it's slightly taller. I'll be getting the Blizzak WS80, 185/60R15 and steel wheels. $700 delivered, and there's a $50 mail-in rebate.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
I live in a rural farming area in Central Illinois. Roads get torn up pretty badly in the Spring and Fall from ag equipment, and then the snow plows just make it worse over the winter. There have been times I've almost decided to take my 4WD F-250 to work instead of the Fit!

My snow tire diameter is close enough to stock that it doesn't throw the speedometer off, and I wanted that extra "cushion" from the -1 size (I've ruined a wheel on a bad pothole before).

es

Old 09-21-2015, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
How many of you who have snowy winters will be using snow tires? I got through last winter with the stock tires, but I'm considering getting snows. Blizzaks and plain steel wheels would cost $700. That a big lump of money.
I got Blizzaks 2 years ago and am very happy over stock all season Khumo tires I have. (they for sure are way better during icy conditions over the all seasons) I happily climbed a few snowy and icy hills passing other cars and even some SUV's who just didn't have good tires. Plus if the weather gods are right, and the El Nino hits hard this year, then we will see some of it in CO and they will definitely help. I don't drive the Blizz all year because I swap them out every spring so they last a couple years at least.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:06 PM
I already mounted snow tires on my Fit. I know, it's a bit early, but my stock tires were shredded (belts were starting to show ). Last winter was a little scary at times with the stock all-seasons, but if it's anything like my last car the Blizzaks will make a huge difference.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by esnave09
my stock tires were shredded (belts were starting to show ).
Wow. How many miles? Or maybe I should ask, "how much hooning?!"

es

Old 09-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by stembridge
Wow. How many miles? Or maybe I should ask, "how much hooning?!"

es
26,000 miles, and I'd say at least 17,000 of them were moderately aggressive driving (pizza delivery to impatient drunks at 3 am). I was pretty careless with it, but I also had quite a few highway miles (including a 2700 mile trip to Florida for spring break).

Back to the snow tires option, I did just see a report that the upper Midwest and Northwest are gonna have a warmer winter this year, so I may end up regretting my snow tire decision this year. We'll see.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Snow tires wear very quickly above 7C/45F. it would be better to buy and use summer tires now and switch them in 2 months time. You will need these tires after winter anyway, so there is no need to prematurely wear out your winter tires.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:22 PM
As a Maine'r, I might get 3-4 different storms per week each averaging a half foot (mild storms) in the peak of winter and it might melt half-way through the season, or it might not *start* melting until mid April.

I enjoy winter driving as it is more challenging/interesting, but I shudder when I see people with bald all-season's because I know they'll hit someone or something sooner or later I just hope it won't be me!

I wouldn't suggest driving a car without winter tires from November through April up here. The control and grip of studded tires is phenomenal and completely worth the added cost- never worry about Ice again! (Except after-frozen slush).

as far as wear- having the two sets means the tires stay in their ideal grip and temperature range instead of All-seasons that kinda-grip in most temperatures and wear is less consistent or extreme in extreme temperatures.

\end... rant?

Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Slick15EX
The control and grip of studded tires is phenomenal and completely worth the added cost- never worry about Ice again!
BUT FIRST make sure they are legal! I know in MN studded tires are illegal, along with chains.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by esnave09
BUT FIRST make sure they are legal! I know in MN studded tires are illegal, along with chains.
haha true, well it also depends if it's needed, obviously folks in Florida don't need the same tires as someone in northern New England during winter, I was just giving my $.02 as someone who has commuted in all weather except last year's Nor'Easter Blizzard when the state shut down

I'd hope a local tire shop knows the rules and wouldn't have them as an option if it's illegal there!

In Maine studs are illegal from May 1st through October 31 IIRC but I still see(Hear) plenty of yahoos driving on them year-round..

Old 09-25-2015, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
find a set of used wheels on CL or something. it shouldn't cost 700 bucks.

though I got lucky that the winter set of tires from our old mini cooper fit perfectly on the fit although i got the wheels used ffrom another mini owner and I got the snow tires on clearance from tirerack.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:42 PM
How many of you who have snowy winters will be using snow tires? I got through last winter with the stock tires, but I'm considering getting snows. Blizzaks and plain steel wheels would cost $700. That a big lump of money.

Don't live in the snow anymore, but when I did, FWD did not need snow tires. Would go up hills that looked like Mt Fuji, with no problems at all.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigbacon
find a set of used wheels on CL or something. it shouldn't cost 700 bucks.

though I got lucky that the winter set of tires from our old mini cooper fit perfectly on the fit although i got the wheels used ffrom another mini owner and I got the snow tires on clearance from tirerack.
I have some wheels in the garage, but they don't fit - wrong bolt pattern. I went to CT and picked up the tires today. The new wheels aren't rusted like the ones in the garage. That's the problem with steel wheels. I have to clean, sand, and paint them every couple of years. They cost $60 each. When I buy new all-season tires, I'll probably have them mounted on alloys. Then I'll have alloys for winter and summer. I saved $68 picking them up myself. I removed the spare, so all four fit easily in the back.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
I removed the spare, so all four fit easily in the back.
why remove the spare? fold down the seats...

here are (4) 265/70-17 Toyota pickup tires & wheels in my 3g

Last edited by rodney; 09-26-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodney
why remove the spare? fold down the seats...

here are (4) 265/70-17 Toyota pickup tires & wheels in my 3g

*flickr changed their setup, i cannot embed now?
With one in the spare well, the other three fit neatly on the folded down seats - nothing sticking up high.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
I went with 14" steel wheels and General Altimax Arctic 185/70R14. This setup cost me $400 plus shipping, minus rebates. The tire diameter is almost identical to the stock tires (24.2" - 24") so all clearances, odometer and speedometer line up. I have used this winter tire on 2 previous vehicles and they are great in snow. If you find yourself driving on ice quite often, then a pricier, softer compound tire might be better. In my part of New York the winter roads range from dry cold, to packed snow to 6+ inches of snow, the Altimax Arctic perform very well and the tread wear is very good. I just sold the set from my VW, after 2 winters there was so little wear they looked new.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires, Anyone?