3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

Staggered tire size problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Staggered tire size problem

So I got a deal on a set of used work rims from a lotus Elise. All 4 wheels are 17x7 +42. Front tires are 205/40 and rears are 225/45. I realize that is not ideal for the fit but was planning to put some 225/45's on the front to match in the future. I installed them today and took it for a test drive. At appx 35mph the the traction control light started flashing and power cut off. I turned around and limped back home. By the time I got home my steering light abs light brake light tire light and traction light were permanently on.

I am assuming that since the front tires were spinning faster than the rears due to size difference fit thought it was loosing traction?

I didn't know if anyone knew for sure what I have done or if it's something possibly unrelated.

Looking for help

Old 01-21-2016, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, it is very well possible that the VSA system was seeing that drastic difference in tire size as wheel spin at higher speeds due to the exact reason you were questioning.

I find it odd that the EPS, ABS, and brake (presuming the red "BRAKE" for parking brake) lights were on. Were any of the lines for the wheels speed sensors pinched or any during the wheels swap? Did you initialize the TPMS after the swap? (Yes, the system will throw a code for different tire diameter but may have a different outcome with other lights if any).

Also, just for the record... 225/45R17s will be too tall of your GK5. If you want something of the same width but closer to stock diameter maybe look into 225/40R17s.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:24 AM
I think if the computer gets sufficiently confused it will turn on all the lights for awhile. I went over a hellacious bump once with my ('12) Fit, I think causing a front wheel to momentarily become airborne, and the VSA, EPS, ABS, and maybe even brake lights all came on...and stayed on for about three or four starts/trips, when they all simultaneously reset. The actual operation of the car didn't seem to be affected in any noticeable way.

Such is the joy of traveling over dirt roads at night during mud season in Vermont when the frost heaves are bad.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Thanks Guys. I hope all my lights will turn off soon. I have parked the car and ordered a set of 205/40/17's for the rear to match the front. Hopefully someone will buy the pair of the rear tires they have tons of tread.

I appreciate the advise and info. Hope this helps anyone looking to go staggered fitment. Just make sure the tires are as close as possible to the same diameter.