3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Winter Tires

So as some of you know I cosmetically damaged the crap out of two of my OEM 16" rims before getting snow tires. I found two new rims and replaced them. The scuffed up rims since I had them and likely would not be easy to resell I put Dunlop Wintermaxx tires on them and worked very well last winter.

Was thinking maybe I should put winter tires on the rear, but I cannot seem to find a cheap steel wheel in a 185/55-16 size. The cheapest 16" rim on TireRack I found is $83/wheel and I'm not going for looks in the winter.

You can easily get a 185/60-15 steel wheel with the same wintermaxx tires, but not sure if mixing tire sizes would cause a problem. I know that my TMPS light would be popping on constantly since different diameter tires spin at different speeds.

Looking to see if anyone knows where I can find cheap 16" steel wheels in OEM size, or if its okay to mix and match sizes, or If i should just say forget and keep the front winter tires I have.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
You can't find any more scuffed 16" wheels for the extra two snow tires?
CraigsList is your friend.

Regards mixing sizes, as long as you match the rolling circumference to avoid making your ABS go 'nutz' you should be OK.

I use Tire size calculator but there are a lot of these comparison tools out there.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:25 AM
After searching this website about winter tires and steel rims for my 2009 Fit Sport it seems the going belief is to reduce my 16" OEM rim and tire to a 15".

the OEM is 185/55R 16 so the suggestions have been to reduce for better traction to the 15" version or 185/60R 15.

Question is Rims I have learned that the rims are a 4X100mm bolt pattern with a 56.1mm hub. The offset is a answer that I have a hard time finding.

So I have three questions;
(1) What is the offset for my OEM 16" rims on my 2009 Honda Fit Sport?
(2) Common sense tells me the offset would not change if I reduce to 15". Yes/No?
(3) Do people have opinions on the research I have done into a set of Winter tires for this Honda Sport

Thanks in advance for the help

Old 08-20-2016, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
15s will fit as well. just get some steelies

Old 08-21-2016, 08:50 AM
bigbacon
For the record I did get some steelies from a friend who gave them to me. However they did not come from a Honda Fit and he is not sure which vehicle they came off of. Long story

So it is not just the diameter of the rim or it's material that are my primary concern. But rather the offset of these rims and what is recommended for a 15' dia. rim on my 2009 Honda Fit Sport

For example: I measured both my OEM Rim and my given to me used steelie rims OFF SETS today

The original 16" OEM Aluminum Rims with the OEM suggested tire P185/55R 16 have a 55mm offsetted rim

The 15" Steelie Rims given to me with a decent set of P185/60R 15 winter tires on them already have about a 40mm offsetted rim

Bolt pattern is perfect, the hub diameter is perfect (56.1mm) and the rims go on without fouling of wheel wells or calipers, etc. I have not driven the car with them on so I can't say if they will foul wheel well during sharp turns or anything.

My concern centers around the differences in these offsets (15mm smaller offset on the Steelies) I am concerned, and perhaps wrongly, for say suspension or wheel bearings. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this topic. Does anyone think this will be an issue as I drive it through the 4 or 5 month winter period.

Secondly, I was just putting out a general feeler on the Fitfreak research I had done with regards to reducing my winter tire diameter to 15" from 16". Is this thought to help traction in some way, aswell as say the 55r to 60R profile on tire. I realize tire choice is subjective but any thoughts on specific winter tires thought to preform on Fits better by those who have had a chance to try a few is welcomed

Hope this thread makes sense

thanks in advance

Last edited by Lymer; 08-21-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
If you go to a narrower wheel and tire to cut through the snow (recommended), the offset will be different anyway.

Anything within a half inch is probably OK, IMO.

If you can, post up pics (front, dead-straight) of each fitment so we can compare relative position of the inside and outside sidewalls.

The overall size of the free tires is 1.1% smaller. You need to be conscious of load rating, but I'd bet that 2 - 5 extra PSI would make the tires safe...you don't plan to carry the full rated load of the car for long periods, do you?