General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Cold weather car wash?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Cold weather car wash?

I've been washing my car pretty much every weekend since I got it. Now that it is getting cooler, I don't think I will be washing it that much (we are weak in Texas when it comes to cold). What do you guys up in the "Great White North" do during the winter? Do you just wash it when the spring thaw comes? Is it bad to leave a lot of dirt on the car?

Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Check out Optimum No-Rinse car wash. Takes about 15 minutes to wash the car and uses less than 4 gallons of water for me. Some people use it in their garage if they have one. With 15 minutes and hardly any water, you shouldn't get too cold.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m0ntels
Check out Optimum No-Rinse car wash. Takes about 15 minutes to wash the car and uses less than 4 gallons of water for me. Some people use it in their garage if they have one. With 15 minutes and hardly any water, you shouldn't get too cold.
Interesting. I may try it on my old truck first to see how it works. I am skeptical about swirling (Although they did demonstrate it on a Ferrari) without having any rinse water on it.

Optimum No-Rinse Demo

Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
I just go to the DIY car wash booths and pressure wash it with hot water. I don't use soap in the winter time.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:20 PM
NMG
I wash my vehicles all the time in the winter and haven't had any problems. Some random thoughts:

- The sand, gravel, salt and de-icing solutions that are used in many places are not good for the car. Washing them off regularly is a GOOD thing.
- I always use compressed air (usually found in the various wash bay type setups) to dry the locks, door handles and windows before leaving. It helps to eliminate these from being frozen afterwards.
- It's amazing how clean a car can stay when the temps are well below freezing and stay that way. When nothing is melting, there is virtually no spray or road moisture to worry about

Old 11-17-2008, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NMG
- It's amazing how clean a car can stay when the temps are well below freezing and stay that way. When nothing is melting, there is virtually no spray or road moisture to worry about
Unfortunately, down here, if it snows or ices, they put down sand, and it when the ice or snow melts, you just have muddy sand. Usually it just rains.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:52 PM
NMG
Originally Posted by cranky18
Unfortunately, down here, if it snows or ices, they put down sand, and it when the ice or snow melts, you just have muddy sand. Usually it just rains.
For sure, that's just like us in the Fall and Spring. It makes for very dirty roads. I'd be sure to wash it in those conditions just to try and keep the paint surface as clean as you can. It's amazing how keeping the dirt on the surface will add to your total scratch count. It's acts like sandpaper everytime someone brushes your paint with their coat in a parking lot, if you take a rock from a tire, etc.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NMG
For sure, that's just like us in the Fall and Spring. It makes for very dirty roads. I'd be sure to wash it in those conditions just to try and keep the paint surface as clean as you can. It's amazing how keeping the dirt on the surface will add to your total scratch count. It's acts like sandpaper everytime someone brushes your paint with their coat in a parking lot, if you take a rock from a tire, etc.
Hmm......Sounds like I have no choice but to "toughen up" or find an alternative washing regimen. This is the first really dark colored car I've owned that was new. It doesn't get near as cold here, but my limit for washing is about 40 degrees, when it's sunny.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM
They put down salt here in michigan. Its not good for the car at all. I'd rather have sand but I think salt is more effective on the ice than sand.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
i get a good coat of wax on mine, and wash it when ever its in the 40's, stays pretty clean, then come spring time i wash it really well again

Old 11-18-2008, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
Wear rubber gloves, and boots if your feet get wet. It's hard to work when your hands and feet are freezing.

Last edited by Rob22315; 11-18-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 AM
ski
5 Year Member
It stays dirty when temps are below freezing. It gets washed only when temps go above freezing. Use rubber gloves and warm water(if possible).

Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Touchless Automatic for me. I don't care about swirls or anything during the winter, I just want the rock salt off my car so it doesn't rust.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
I do a touchless wash before hand to get any big chunks off and to clean the undercarriage. The no touch wash never gets the car really clean though. The trick is to never rub your car with anything while the surface is dry. I keep a gallon garden sprayer full of No Rinse to rewet anything that needs it and I wash and dry one panel at a time.

You really have to rethink what you know about car washing, but No Rinse works great and doesnt waste near as much water. It also adds polymers that help repel water off your windows, can be used as a clay lube, and also makes a great detailer based on what concentration you use.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by cranky18
Hmm......Sounds like I have no choice but to "toughen up" or find an alternative washing regimen. This is the first really dark colored car I've owned that was new. It doesn't get near as cold here, but my limit for washing is about 40 degrees, when it's sunny.
My plan for the winter is to take it to this good detailing shop I found where you can drop in and have them hand wash and dry it for $20. I may also try the "Optimum no Rinse" stuff alternately. I'll just cut back on my Starbucks "habit' to pay for keeping my little Fit clean during the winter months :-) Our winters here are rainy, muddy and dreary.....

Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Firebat666
i get a good coat of wax on mine, and wash it when ever its in the 40's, stays pretty clean, then come spring time i wash it really well again
The car was supposedly waxed or protected at the dealer, but it sounds like I need to get a good coat of wax on it before the winter. I may o a combination of the No-Rinse and washing it when warm enough.

Sometimes having a new car is a pain. My old truck gets washed at least twice a year.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SeattleRain
Our winters here are rainy, muddy and dreary.....
What is the rest of the year like?

I went to Seattle a couple of years ago in the summer and it was rainy and dreary the whole week (except for 1 day).

Really kind of liked it though.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
It's sunny and clear skies 95% of the year in SoCal.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:14 PM
i just wash my car at the diy place if it is open if not then it stays dirty lol.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
i would re wax after the dealer... if your looking for a good wax, i recomend tech wax 2.0 if you keep your car covered or in a garage you get about 4 months of protection, out in the open about 2, when i used turtle wax i was getting a month tops my car was alst waxed in august and is out in the open most of the time, not only is the shine still incredible but the water beading is nuts, this will be the first winter i use tech wax, so we will see how it does, but i have high expectations, also the wax is easily applyed and removed. well worth the money to protect your car an 18 dollar bottle will probably last 2 years as i am about 3/4 of a year though using the wax and still have 2/3 of a bottle (though i finalley found it in paste wax and am using that to wax my car over thanks giving break)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold weather car wash?