2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windshield replacement caveat.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Windshield replacement caveat.

So there I was, cruising in my "Blue Sensation" '09 Fit Sport MT (hasn't even come due for its first oil change yet) en route from Calgary to Vancouver, when a rock the size of a golf ball fell off the deck of the semi trailer in the adjacent lane, hit the pavement, bounced up and smoked my windshield at its base, front row center. It's like this rock had a mind of its own (with attitude to match), and it was saying to my car "Welcome to this cruel, cruel world!"

Oh well, insurance will fix it. So I called insurance and then set up the appointment with the glass shop (a well-known and reputable shop), who told me that their records indicate that the '09 windshield is the same windshield as that of the '07/'08 Fit.

I knew this had to be incorrect and told them so. Yet they insisted, saying that while the body may have changed their records show the windshield had not changed.

I went to work, got a measuring tape and measured the physical difference between my windshield and that of a co-worker's '08. Yup--- no way in hell were they the same. Might as well have tried to fit Jessica Alba's evening gown onto Rosie O'Donnell.

I called the shop back and told them again what I already knew, and provided them with measurements. I also suggested they call a Honda parts department for confirmation. An hour later the shop called me back stating that I was in fact correct. They also told me that the '09 windshield was on 2-week back-order.

Which brings me to my point: What if I'd kept quiet, kept my appointment and wasted a whole day only to find that they didn't have the correct windshield? Or worse: What if they'd kicked out the remains of my old windshield, only to at that point-of-no-return discover that the windshield on hand was the wrong one, and that they couldn't get the replacement for another 2 weeks?

So if you're replacing a cracked windshield be sure to confirm with the shop that they have the correct info. This could have been interesting if I'd kept quiet.

Last edited by Aviator902S; 12-18-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Heh you should've just told them to look at a picture online of a GE vs the GD, and right from there you could see that they're definitely not the same ;p.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
This has already happened to someone on here, took his car in, they took out his windshield, then had to put it back when they realized the 07-08 one they ordered would not fit.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:27 PM
What a bunch of idiots...

Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 PM
I think I would be looking for a new windshield shop .... and not one that gives you free steaks with every replacement.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
I think that if the shop orders the wrong windshield for your car, they would be responsible for providing you a rental while your car is in the shop. Especially if you told them the correct answer and they didn't listen.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your windshield. I had the same situation happen to me on my prior vehicle the Toyota FJ Cruiser. I was driving home from work and all of a sudden I heard a loud noise (there were no vehicles in front of me). A large rock the size of a baseball hit my windshield and left a large indention (almost thought someone had thrown it). The rock ended up sitting on my hood. Small slivers of glass could be found even into my back seat area. On the FJ since it was a new vehicle when it happened it took over 4 weeks for a windshield to come in. I eventually had to replace two windshields on that vehicle. Due to how the windshield sits in the vehicle, it is prone to cracks even from the smallest rock hits. I am hoping the Fit has better luck on windshields. I think the way Fit angles, we should be ok...except in your instance when the size of the rock would damage any windshield.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 AM
make sure they do a good job on your windshield, when I had mine replaced I didn't pay too much attention but I get a lot of wind noises from my front windshield now. Well my 2nd windshield just got another crack that looks like it should start splitting like sprouting bean soon. sigh! At least maybe the next place I go to will help solve one of my wtf noise problem.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cowflex
make sure they do a good job on your windshield, when I had mine replaced I didn't pay too much attention but I get a lot of wind noises from my front windshield now. Well my 2nd windshield just got another crack that looks like it should start splitting like sprouting bean soon. sigh! At least maybe the next place I go to will help solve one of my wtf noise problem.
Actually this place is one of the more reputable ones. They remove ALL of the old seal and replace it with new and of top quality material rather than simply gluing over the old one. But with cars as new as ours the info often takes a while to filter down to the glass shops, so it's a good idea to clue the shop in before they order your windshield, no matter how good that shop's reputation may be. As for Fit windshields being less prone to damage from rock chips I beg to differ--- I've seen plenty of '07 and '08 Fits with spidered windshields.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 PM
The same thing happened to me today when they tried to replacement my windshield. I called and they said that the windshields would fit for all 2006 to 2009's. I kept telling them it wouldn't fit, but they said it would according to their records. So i told them ok, fine, prove your point by bringing it over. So they did and in fact it didn't fit. it was for the preveious generation. I made sure by asking and telling them to measure. The installation guy spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how he was gonna try to fit it. But i just kept telling him, it won't fit and you're wasting your time. I don't know why i even bothered asking them to come in the first place. Well i called the Honda service department and they gave me some numbers they use when they replace windshields. Apparently they don't change them themselves. They hire other people. I was quoted $395 total including labor, tax, and the moulding.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Aviator902S
As for Fit windshields being less prone to damage from rock chips I beg to differ--- I've seen plenty of '07 and '08 Fits with spidered windshields.

i already have a chip in mine.... and never had any chip in my old camry w/ 187,000 miles.

i think the windshield is at high risk....
1. it's huge. there's more glass to be hit.

2. the front end of the car is so small, a lot of rocks which may simply bounce off a typical grill, may skip right up the hood and contact the windshield.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
when you got your screen replaced was the rubber round the edge the same as the origional and did it have honda printed on it or another makers name

thanks, sorry to hear about your windscreen, i got a couple of small chips after only 8 weeks on the road