General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Should I get wheel locks on Fit Sport?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Should I get wheel locks on Fit Sport?

I've never had wheel locks before and don't know much about them. Could you guys answer my questions?

1. I've read and heard even semi-talented thieves can get wheel locks off fairly easy, and they are not much of a deterrent to theft. They slow thief down is all. If so, should I save money and not get them?

2. Say I get locks. When I get my Fit serviced at Honda (e.g., tire rotation), do I have to bring my wheel lock device thingy or will Honda have one they can use to unlock my wheels?

3. Say I get locks. If I get new tires (e.g., Discount Tire), I would have to bring my wheel lock thingy and give it to Discount Tire so they can change the tires, right?

Any advice on the practicality of whether to get wheel locks or not would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I say don't bother because if people are going to steal them they are going to steal them. Wheels locks aren't much of a derterent any more because you can always just hammer on without the key or get a key.

Waste of money IMO.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, that's what I've heard. Doesn't seem like it's worth putting money into when they are so easily defeated. But I have zero experience, so I wanted to hear what you guys think.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
i say YES get them, however don't get the honda ones... those are easier to get around than some aftermarket ones for the same money. true they will not stop a determined thief... however they will stop some one looking for a quick easy steal. its a small investment that can save you 100's or more, 4 aftermarket rims and tires is just under a grand... and you can keep the wheel lock "key" hidden in the car so you always have it (incase you get a flat) i keep mine under the spare tire... i know the locks will not prevent some one from stealing your rims if they REEEEEEEALLLY want them. but it will prevent some idiot passing by and thinking your rims look nice from getting them in 30 sec. (yes there are people who can get the wheels off a car in 30 sec.) all wheel locks do is make it harder to steal so it is less likely to happen. again i say small investment that can save u lots of cash. Fit rims are stolen regualrly, tho i have yet to hear of any being stolen that had wheel locks.... some food for thought

Old 01-01-2009, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Old 01-01-2009, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
honda (mcgard) locks

HONDA locks are worth the money because they dont have groves on the outside like other locks do, non honda locks you can put a socket on and it will usually come off, honda locks if you put a socket on it and try turning it off , the socket will usually just turn because it has nothing to grab onto because it outside is smooth, just make sure they are tightened last when putting them on, and remember there is always an exception to the rule, but i had them on my crx with my k1's and when my crx was stolen, i got it back with the wheels, they tried to get them off cause the other three nuts were so tight that i had to use a 4ft breaker bar to get them off and one of the (HONDA) locks had a socket stuck to it, so you can all talk shit about honda locks but i know better, and the k1's on my fit are the same ones, the k1's on my crx are upgrades

the dealer i work at has a set of wheel locks incase a service customer forgets to bring theirs, but i'd sudgest hiding it somewhere in your car that you can get to, just incase you get a flat and want to change it on your own

Last edited by vtecfit1; 01-01-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:20 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
locks are only around to keep the honest people honest. if a thief wants it there is no way to really stop him from taking it. i would recommend getting the muteki lugs cause they are cheap and not everyone has their special key.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
An intelligent theif who wants to get into your house also isn't stopped by a simple door-knob lock or deadbolt, yet every house has one.

Basically, why wouldn't you invest in <$100 to protect something >$800?

Just because a theif CAN get around a deterrent doesn't mean you should just give up and leave items for the taking.

And yes, if you take your car to get serviced anywhere that requires removal of the wheels, you will need to supply the key.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Cheap semi insurance, I never have any car that doesnt use wheel locks anymore. Sometimes even use 2 different sets. More the merrier lol!

Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 PM
One of the first things I do after buying a car is to get wheel locks. For my '09 Fit Sport, I just purchased the Honda ones from my dealer. I know that thieves can steal anything, but, knock on wood, I haven't had any of my tires stolen in 35 years of owning and driving cars.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 PM
if you want honda wheel locks i have ones off my 09 sport ill sell you for $30 shipped if you want

Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
good deal from strmslvrfit.... 30 bucks is a good price on honda wheel locks...

Old 01-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I have the Honda wheel locks and I thought I'd ask... do they all use the same key?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
no there are different keys, otherwise i could steal the rims off every honda....

Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Dangit... that's what I was planning.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
lol some s2k rims would look nice on the fit lol

Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 AM
theres a set of 10keys, honda and acura are different too.. so when i use my gsr rims, i have 2 different sets on it

Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
it's true wheel locks are only a theft-deterrent, but you should get them anyway to deter some potential thieves. that's how i see it. if u didn't have wheel locks and had your wheels stolen, you'd probably wonder if wheel locks could have prevented it haha.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Do it. Locks are better than no locks.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone try the McGard locks with the spinning outer ring?

Definitely do it. I'm hoping on getting 1 Honda, 1 aftermarket, and 1 McGard spining outer ring. Yeah I know that overkill for Sport stockers, but after reading a few recent threads it's making me paranoid. It seems like our Fit Sport rims are in high demand by thieves, and most have been stolen with the Honda wheel locks on...

Originally Posted by FitStir
That's a good idea, I wonder if the spinning outer ring would prevent thefts? Or atleast drastically deter thieves?

Here's a link but which size/style??? McGard Wheel Locking Lug Nuts - JEGS The McGard site McGard: Innovative Security Products only shows 07-08 fitment, is it the same for the 09's?

Here's two more links but they have less info (cant look up vehicle) McGard - Wheel Locks Parts | Page 1 & Safety & Security - McGard Wheel Locks and Lug Nuts
Some recent stolen wheel threads.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...or-wheels.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ghlight=mcgard
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...ighlight=wheel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I get wheel locks on Fit Sport?