2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Installing ham rig in the GE

Old 03-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Installing ham rig in the GE

Alright guys. I've decided that I don't want to ruin the finish of my car with a mag-mount antenna, as I already did that once with an older honda, so I'm exploring options.

I have a Yaesu FT-8900r for little Gustave, and I don't plan on running 6 and 10m immediately, but I'd like to keep the options open. The main reason I don't want to run HF right now is that I don't like the idea of putting an HF antenna on, and I don't like the idea of a nice big quad-bander either. So just VHF/UHF for me for now.

I have a glass mount dual-band that I'm debating right now. I might just ditch the glass mount and put it on my other civic, or I might just try to sell it. The problem is that the fit doesn't have a good place for the glass-mount. I was thinking the rear right quarter-panel. However, I'm not too sure. It's a 5 day old car, ya know?

Any other hams (or even CB operators) who have successfully installed a rig? The particular rig I have to install has a remote-mount kit, so I can put the actual transmitter in the trunk, or under a seat, or somewhere hidden (haven't decided yet though.)

Ideas?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Well guys, I just put the glass-mount antenna on.

I couldn't find a suitable place to drill a hole and install a proper NMO antenna mount, so this will have to do. I put it on the right left rear quarter panel antenna, and snaked the coax through the C pillar down to the bottom of the car, and then ran it with a bundle of wiring. The coax exits under the carpet of the driver's seat, where I will put the radio's body.

The remote-mount head of the radio will be placed under the climate controls on that removable body panel, and the wiring will run through the center console, past the shifter, and under the carpet to the driver's seat.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Nice looking install. I would be keen to see pics of the radio install when you are done. My old Standard dual band fits under the seat with all controls in the mic so it makes for an easy install with no wires. I currently use a mag mount without the finish problems you alluded to, I just place it on a circle cut out of a sandwich baggie and the car finish stays clean. Too bad someone does not make an all-in-one antenna to replace the original that would include AM/FM/Xm/ and Uhf/Vhf.
Joe W5RJK

Old 03-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Too bad someone does not make an all-in-one antenna to replace the original that would include AM/FM/Xm/ and Uhf/Vhf.
I thought about that. I was originally planning to install a hidden antenna for AM/FM under the dash, inside the car, then using the factory antenna mount for UHF/VHF. However, the fit has an ampliflier integrated into the antenna mount, so this was one occasion where the fit was not go.

Right now I'm looking into cutting a loaded antenna to work for 6m and 10m, so I have full use of those bands on my ft-8900. As they say, "watch this space".

73's

Last edited by awptickes; 09-30-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Turns out I outsmarted myself, and bought the ft-8800r, which is only dual-band. I saved $100, and now I don't have to spend more money on another antenna.

I mounted the head tonight, which is a little bit further along than I thought I'd be on Wednesday night. I still have all the cables draped over the interior, and my power source is the power-jack. I've attached some photos for your viewing pleasure.

While I was trying to figure out how to mount the face/head of the radio, I went to bestbuy to look at their options for mounting GPS devices, and XM radio receivers, which turned out to be a good idea. I went into the store, and the person in the car audio was entirely unhelpful, knew nothing, but he directed me to the car audio installation bay. I went outside, and walked around the store to the install bay entrance, and was pleasantly surprised when after I asked the installer if he knew of anything that would work, he gave me an XM mount that works. See the pictures.

I decided to mount it on a removable panel for ease of the install, and because I don't have a service manual to see where things such as wires are. The red stuff is the backing of the self-stick adhesive that I forgot to remove before I put the bolts in. heh.

More pictures when it gets light tomorrow, along with pictures of the radio mounted to the floor.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
You read my mind! I was considering starting a thread like this, nice work - can't wait to see more pics with antenna's installed - and especially interior shots of the actual rig install/placement and wiring schema.

I have a Radio Shack PRO-2051, do you guys think it's worth installing this old bird in the Fit? I only recently pulled it back out of the basement, and now have to re-learn how to program everything and re-document all of the interesting frequencies I receive. I should probably just buy the USB cable with software and get it over with... (lazy).

Anyone get enough use out of a scanner only install in their vehicle, or is it generally considered not worth the hassle?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by reako
You read my mind! I was considering starting a thread like this, nice work - can't wait to see more pics with antenna's installed - and especially interior shots of the actual rig install/placement and wiring schema.

Anyone get enough use out of a scanner only install in their vehicle, or is it generally considered not worth the hassle?
I'll be sure to post pictures and diagrams of the install once it's fully completed. I've still got the radio just lying on the floor, and cables draped across the interior. I'm embarrassed to take pictures currently.

I have a PRO-97 that I use for long trips, with all the state and highway police frequencies programmed in. The "Close call" feature on many scanners is an incredibly usefull tool when traveling.

If your area and habits don't require that you have a trunk tracking scanner, I'd install it. You can always replace the scanner with something else if you decide you need more functionality. Word of advice: at this point, don't buy a scanner that doesn't do Digital Trunking.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 PM

All I was able to do tonight was run the power cable. It got dark then cold, and I didn't feel like mucking around in the dark to mount the radio to the carpet underneath the driver's seat.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awptickes

All I was able to do tonight was run the power cable. It got dark then cold, and I didn't feel like mucking around in the dark to mount the radio to the carpet underneath the driver's seat.
Thanks for the rig pics and advice! Looks awesome!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM
This one was before I put the spiral wrap on the wiring, and hid the wire better behind the plastics:

For the power wire, I used the same "bump" under the carpet that I routed the coax. When I get around to mounting the radio unit permanently to the floor, I'll take more pictures of it. Where I routed the power wire:

Tomorrow I'll take off the trim and show where I routed the coax, as well as where I'm going to mount the external speaker, and what I tapped into for power to the rig.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 PM
it look good on your car... i think i will install mine right there too..

Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Just to clarify to everyone, I didn't have to run a power wire to the battery, as there is a nice big wire already in the cockpit fuse box that is easily tapped. I want to say it's a 40A wire, but I'd be lying if I said anything more than "it looks beefy" as I don't have the service manual yet. Best of all, even while the engine is running, no alternator noise was reported.

More pictures tomorrow.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 PM
whats your callsign?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by artieman
whats your callsign?
If your asking the OP, awptickes, he's already posted it above - KC2LZO

I personally am not yet certified.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 PM
If your asking the OP, he's already posted it above - KC2LZO
I personally am not yet certified.
why not? dont even need to know morse code for a basic class (technician)

Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 PM
why not? dont even need to know morse code for a basic class
You don't even need to know code for a General class license.

EDIT: But let's not let this discussion decay into an argument about whether or not CW is important.

Reako, I would suggest getting the ARRL Technician class book, and studying that way, it seems to be the best curriculum I've found. I refer to my ARRL manual on occasion.

Last edited by awptickes; 03-19-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:00 PM
You don't even need to know code for a General class license.
last time i checked general required 5wpm

Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
why not? dont even need to know morse code for a basic class
Well, I actually do know some Morse code, but that's not the point...I don't have the money right now to invest in the equipment, and I just started going back to school this winter, and am real busy at work etc.. you know, the usual excuses! When things slow down a bit and I have more disposable income for more toys I'll definitely consider it. I have many other expensive hobbies to keep up with as well!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Well, I actually do know some Morse code, but that's not the point...I don't have the money right now to invest in the equipment, and I just started going back to school this winter, and am real busy at work etc.. you know, the usual excuses! When things slow down a bit and I have more disposable income for more toys I'll definitely consider it. I have several more expensive hobbies to keep up with as well!
yes gets expensive quickly....the tube linears i have werent cheap...i dont have a license either but im still out there

Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Reako, I would suggest getting the ARRL Technician class book, and studying that way, it seems to be the best curriculum I've found. I refer to my ARRL manual on occasion.
Thanks! That seems to be the general consensus over at eHam.net - Looks like it's about $22 shipped from Amazon.com, might pick up a copy soon and check it out! Thanks for the kick in the rear/motivation gentlemen, always appreciated. Now, back to the show awptickes?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing ham rig in the GE